• Replies 60 Comments
  • Views 2,589 Views

RayRay

Dont touch my fucking TV
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
The gf is going to make some over here today/tonight.. i dunno how long it will take.. ill make an effort to document the whole process/ingredients etc. so you guys can cook some up this winter .. its a bit different than a recipe you might find online :cheers:

quick cook recipe today... not the beef bone overnight broth cook ... she said we have something to do tonight... was nice of her to tell me :lol:

okay, since we are doing the quick/lazy broth today, its going to be quite simple... normally we would get regular beef broth and a big beef bone, but we are substituting today.... (i actually cant tell that much of a difference if its seasoned right)

shit you need... in no particular order, but make sure to get these brands or ask for very similar

2 big cans pho broth ... 1 thing of pho seasoning ... ginger

20141217_120137_zps8vt5nrxg.jpg

some beef shoulder

20141217_120212_zpshpfjtiun.jpg

very important ... herbal mix

20141217_120225_zpsinfi7iwm.jpg

make sure to see this..

20141217_120248_zpsuwousxls.jpg

kudos for posting slice-of-life type photos

that herbal mix looks illegal

noodles... we got 3 bags for the amount of pho broth we are making

20141217_120255_zpssot4ebnr.jpg

yellow onion

20141217_121003_zpskvx9fuzj.jpg

onion and bean sprouts and a few limes not pictured

20141217_121123_zps8p7mojql.jpg

basil and cilantro... (they were out of asian cilantro, which is preferred...get it if they have it)

1dc3ac67-6a1f-4f66-b6c9-bdc9f5e1b176_zps19a232a3.jpg

flat iron steak for tenderness... (cut this shit up as super thin as you can)

7ff64483-340e-46da-9e6d-6cbc104be5ec_zpsaeea7c00.jpg

okay...

open both big cans of pho broth and put in Hugh pot... ADD 2 more big cans of water ...

cut up about 3/4 of the ginger into 1in/1in or so pieces and put in the pot...it really dont matter, just make sure that each piece is breathing from 2 ends ...

take the Beef shoulder and place in pot ... nothing special needs to be done to it

take 1 yellow onion and peel the shit away... cut off the ass ends and put the whole baseball sized onion in the pot

BRING TO A BOIL ... you are going to boil this for a while 20-25 min ... keep an eye on it

the beef will start to shred little frothy pieces that will come to the top... have a soup scooper ready to start taking it out of the broth... you dont want this shit to dirty the broth ... just scoop it and put in a little bowl for tossing out

see the frothy stuff at the top.. just keep scooping it out

20141217_122502_zpsezzcz37p.jpg

Nice write up, but I think I'll stick to having the gooks across the street delivering it to me.

I wish places closer to our house sold these items.

when the frothy stuff stops coming up heavy(basically stops foaming the top) , thats when you turn it to SIMMER... it took 20min or so this time... BUT continue to keep cleaning the dirty stuff that rises to the top even while its just simmering

Okay..

TAKE OUT the Ginger...

ADD about 12-16 Oz. of warm water to the pot ... just come close

ADD 2 table spoons of the Cot Pho Bo to the pot and stir .... (the beef flavored pho soup base) in little brown container

Now you are going to take that very illegal looking bag of mixed Herbal Mix and open it... inside you will find a tied bag full of seeds and the other shit....

We take the bag and untie it...

then we take about HALF of the other shit and put in the bag with the seeds and tie it back tight ...

ADD the bag to the pot...

fwiw, we only use half the other shit because we are cooking about a medium size portion of Pho ... (if we were making more, we would use all that shit in the herbal bag, but we arent and its overkill for todays portion)

This will need to Simmer for AT LEAST an hour ...

The bag of seeds/shit will begin to bring out the pho flavor and you will get that pho aroma... after an hour or so, you can start tasting the broth... if its perfect for you, you can remove the bag of seeds/shit ... most will actually just leave the bag in the pot the whole time until its ready to be refrigerated.... again, its a personal preference though and the stuff can get quite strong... so def. taste test after an hour .. you dont want to fuck up the leftovers if the first bowl is perfect...

Last edited:
Nice write up, but I think I'll stick to having the gooks across the street delivering it to me.

next recipe is how to cook canine ... watch yourself in my thread

:brooks:

Okay, while the broth is simmering, we do other stuff....

cut up the onions/cilantro/limes and cut your flat iron steak super thin ... wash the sprouts and pluck the basil leaves and wash...

20141217_133451_zpstpvg2nym.jpg

Thank you Ray's girlfriend! Question, do you usually make enough so there are left overs, or do you usually only make this when you plan on eating it, and only make enough for said meal?

one bag of noodles ... boiled for about 5 minutes ... you fucks know how to grab a piece of noodle and tell if its cooked

20141217_134337_zpslxszbji9.jpg

fridge the other bags until ready to use

Thank you Ray's girlfriend! Question, do you usually make enough so there are left overs, or do you usually only make this when you plan on eating it, and only make enough for said meal?

cami, look at the size of that pot... ill probably eat this stuff until im just tired of it... after i get a bowl, ill let you know how many bowls this made.... im guessing at least a dozen ... ill need to get another pound of flat iron steak tomorrow and maybe another if i want to keep eating this...

cami, do a google search for Asian supermarkets in your area.... if there are none within driving distance, let me know and i will ship you the stuff that you cant get at a regular super market ...

when the frothy stuff stops coming up heavy(basically stops foaming the top) , thats when you turn it to SIMMER... it took 20min or so this time... BUT continue to keep cleaning the dirty stuff that rises to the top even while its just simmering

Okay..

TAKE OUT the Ginger...

ADD about 12-16 Oz. of warm water to the pot ... just come close

ADD 2 table spoons of the Cot Pho Bo to the pot and stir .... (the beef flavored pho soup base) in little brown container

Now you are going to take that very illegal looking bag of mixed Herbal Mix and open it... inside you will find a tied bag full of seeds and the other shit....

We take the bag and untie it... Take Half the seeds out

then we take about HALF of the other shit and put in the bag with the seeds that are left and tie it back tight ...

ADD the bag to the pot...

fwiw, we only use half the other shit because we are cooking about a medium size portion of Pho ... (if we were making more, we would use all that shit in the herbal bag, but we arent and its overkill for todays portion)

we have a correction here that i was just informed about...this is Very Important and is corrected in Bold... when opening that bag of seeds, take half the seeds out... mix half the other shit in there .... then put the other half of the seeds and other half of the shit in a ziplock to be used later...