Earthquake in Chile, Tsunami alert in the Pacific

• Start date
  • Replies 35 Comments
  • Views 3,341 Views
You guys are wrong, all around the ring of fire, there are several countries such as Japan and even in the U.S. there are buildings built to withstand large earthquakes. Believe it or not, it isn't that hard. They have entire high rise buildings build on ball bearings, so they can roll with it, and on the tops of these buildings, they have damping systems with giant counter weights that will make the shaking less dramatic. I believe that Japan has even implemented its anti godzilla building as well as a way to protect its population fro disaster. I'm not saying that all buildings in these area are earthquake proof, but the methods exist to build buildings better.

Ya but I've heard very few that are built to withstand an 8.8 earthquake anywhere nearby, I've heard 8.0 hopefully, but 8.8 is a whole different story.

Built to withstand 8.0 is just engineering speak for don't come sue my ass because it couldn't withstand the earthquake that was larger. I bet they do somewhat better than expected, maybe with heavy damage, but not catastraphic results.

pimike is smiling. one day closer to the end of the world.

Isn't it about time to be hearing about a giant wave hitting Hawaii by now? There should be some killer video of some nut on a surfboard soon.

Problem with buildings in the US they were not built on the same time. A building built in the 1960's or earlier was not designed to withstand earthquakes. Even buildings built in the 60's, 70's or 80's were lightly built to withstand earthquakes. Most of the work to design earthquake resistant buildings was done after the Northridge and Kobe earthquakes when more data was available. Also the reason why you see some buildings damaged and some not is because the magnitude of the damage is proportional to the soil conditions at the foundations, the height and the weight of the building. A building built on soft soils will experience more damage than a building built on bedrock. And a heavier and taller building will induce more lateral forces at the base of the structure. The buildings in California depending on the location need to be designed for 1.0 g acceleration of gravity which is equivalent to an 8.0 earthquake. There is no building currently in the US that is designed to withstand an 8.8 earthquake. Actually any building which is more than 15-20 years old would not even survive an 8.0 earthquake unless it has been retrofitted. So all buildings grandfathered in the current building codes are not designed to withstand strong earthquakes.

The video above said they are expecting the wave to hit Hawaii about 4:20 pm EST, and I am waiting for the same footage :grin:

The video above said they are expecting the wave to hit Hawaii about 4:20 pm EST, and I am waiting for the same footage :grin:

yeah me too, crazy stuff. hope everyone will be safe since they had so much time to prepare

What does it mean 500X the energy of Haiti earthquake? These fuckers need to explain this shit better.

What does it mean 500X the energy of Haiti earthquake? These fuckers need to explain this shit better.

Lets say if Haiti earthquake was a 10 lb rocket propelled grenade the Chile earthquake was a 5000 lb laser guided bomb. If both hit one person they will kill them instantly. But if they hit 1000 people more people will die from the 5000 lb bomb than the RPG. The casualties are not directly proportional to the magnitude of the earthquake but are to the people concentration and structural resistance of the structures to resist the earthquake forces.

Nobody understands logarithmic scales. I admit that a 8.0 and a 9.0 are close in numbers, by I guess when you toss in the log shit to go with it, 9 is like 10 time bigger or something.

I'm proud of the Chilean people for being out and about already looking for bargains at the stores just hours after the earthquake. That's the spirit, take it upon yourselves to rebuild.

Nobody understands logarithmic scales. I admit that a 8.0 and a 9.0 are close in numbers, by I guess when you toss in the log shit to go with it, 9 is like 10 time bigger or something.

I'm proud of the Chilean people for being out and about already looking for bargains at the stores just hours after the earthquake. That's the spirit, take it upon yourselves to rebuild.

What you don't understand is the stores are not going to open at regular store hours due to the earthquake damage of the supermarket. So you basically have a supermarket full with food which is going to spoil and people with money that don't have a supermarket to shop.

is there more this year or are they just getting more coverage??