• Start date
  • Replies 90 Comments
  • Views 3,748 Views

Boner_18

Since
Oct 5, 2010
Score
Tokens
Do you like cars? I've never been a gear head. I had a cousin who was into cars and I would go with him to the junk yard and get parts and we'd do low level repairs.

When I bought a 98 Honda accord I bought the Haynes manual and did my own brakes rotors and oil changes.

Recently I've been browsing 70s and 80s classic cars. For a modest sum 10k-20k you can get a pretty sweet ride. I mean, you guitar guys have gotta be spending at least half that on all your gear right?

I like cars. I really liked the big cars from 70's and prior. I wonder if you can pay one of those guys like the Count, to put together a 70's coup for you, if it can be made as reliable as a modern car. Seems like he charges no more than a mediocre new car would cost :dunno:

Yes reno. I was previously into the boats of the 70s. Cadillac, pontiac grand ville, etc.

More recently I've gotten into what I guess was called "personal luxury cars". They're the intersection of those boats ans muscle cars. I want a pontiac grand prix. '69 maybe '71.

so many cool ones. Wouldn't mind something like this.
1597712566368.png

It does seem like there was a sweet spot for my taste when the 60's cars were transforming into the 70's style
1597713025240.png

Funny thing is I looked up something like 0-60 time for a 69 pontiac grand prix. It has a 400 or 455cc v8 with 350hp. Yet my 185hp honda accord 4 cylinder is a full second faster 0-60. Lol.

Recently I've been browsing 70s and 80s classic cars. For a modest sum 10k-20k you can get a pretty sweet ride. I mean, you guitar guys have gotta be spending at least half that on all your gear right?

Easily.

Funny thing is I looked up something like 0-60 time for a 69 pontiac grand prix. It has a 400 or 455cc v8 with 350hp. Yet my 185hp honda accord 4 cylinder is a full second faster 0-60. Lol.

That's the main issue with any car older than like 10-15 years... they mostly suck balls. A new Golf GTI covers the 1/4 mile as quickly as a Countach did. And it's not just performance - same thing with braking and overall safety. Old cars suck.

Restomods are cool but that's another level of $pending.

Last edited:
I liked their earlier stuff. Ric Ocasek was underrated

The idea of it sounds cool.

But knowing my luck, I’d spend 20K and end up in a POS with no AC that would stall out at stop lights.

Still have bad memories from my 92’ VW Corrado in highschool.

Do you like cars? I've never been a gear head. I had a cousin who was into cars and I would go with him to the junk yard and get parts and we'd do low level repairs.

When I bought a 98 Honda accord I bought the Haynes manual and did my own brakes rotors and oil changes.

Bought a ton of gear year before last

Fender Jaguar
Vox AC-15 with blue Alnico’s
Built a massive pedal board.

Spent about $5K

In 1994, I owned a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury. I overpaid for it ($8,000 I believe).
Driving in it transformed my friends and I ro another time. I was the coolest guy in a group of cool guys.

I was, foolishly, using it as my every day ride. That got expensive with repairs. I believe I sold it in 1997. Amazing 3 years, though.

In 1994, I owned a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury. I overpaid for it ($8,000 I believe).
Driving in it transformed my friends and I ro another time. I was the coolest guy in a group of cool guys.

I was, foolishly, using it as my every day ride. That got expensive with repairs. I believe I sold it in 1997. Amazing 3 years, though.
:ron:

I want to be into cars. But I look at cars as a way to go from point a to b. I’m currently driving a 08 Toyota Camry with a 170,000 miles on it and have spent no more than $700 in maintenance for each of the last 3 years. With no car payment I can’t justify the expense of a new car or an added car.

Easily.

That's the main issue with any car older than like 10-15 years... they mostly suck balls. A new Golf GTI covers the 1/4 mile as quickly as a Countach did. And it's not just performance - same thing with braking and overall safety. Old cars suck.

Restomods are cool but that's another level of $pending.
Oh please :hey:
My 80 Celica had enough horse power for me. There's no need for any more. Wouldn't be surprised if it beat my new Acura with the idiotic 8 spd transmission off the line. I would like power windows etc. I'm pretty sure all that can be done. And safety :choke: I'll leave that to the muzzle wearers and motorcycle riders.
However, any decent new car will go 100K+ miles with no repairs. Aside from Oil/air filter/tires. I'd be worried you couldn't get that from a rebuild 70's thing. If you could, sign me up.

Comfort. Those cars floated over the road. And you look at interiors of today. Ugly black, weird semi plastic dashboards. $30k and they can't put in a quality interior? Cheap fuck, profit optimizing bastards.
You need a bmw or Mercedes for even a little bit of style.

Reno whats the most modern/recent model car you've driven?

I don't own a car but rent quite frequently - so 2020 models, maybe 2019 at worst. The new model cars are on a whole different level technology/comfort wise.

I rented a Nissan SUV last month and it displayed the speed and directions on a hologram on the windshield. So I didn't even need to look down, it was right there as I looked ahead, Also, the cruise control adapted to the flow of traffic and if I veered over the centre line the seat would vibrate to let me know. When changing lanes the steering wheel would resist turning if I didn't use my signal. I was amazed that the vehicle knew the speed limit on every rd I drove on and would remind me if I was going too fast.

I still cant get used to backing up using the rear view cams etc, I'm so used to looking in my mirrors.

I also rented a full size GMC SUV and it was the most comfortable ride I've ever experienced, these new creations from the auto makers are quite impressive, these new vehicles do everything.

yeah I'm not all that impressed. I've test driven multiple new cars last year, and also about 3 years ago. Ended up buying a used 2016 Acura ilx as it was stylish and had comfort features that I like.
Yeah the keeping you in the lane thing is kind of nice, but you can't trust it. Sometimes it can't find the lane etc. Also has a feature that detects objects in front of you and starts breaking and flashing dashboard lights. I had to disable that shit as it startled me several times as got kind of close to a car that was obviously crossing lanes or slowing down to turn. Something in the Eisenhower tunnel also seems to set it off. ...So now I drive with a little yellow dashboard light constantly on, letting me know I've turned off the "collision mitigation". :facepalm
My impression is they have a lot of software that's cheap to distribute, so they can jam that shit everywhere. But god forbid they put in something that actually costs money, like nice materials, or even a spare tire.

I was amazed that the vehicle knew the speed limit on every rd I drove on and would remind me if I was going too fast.

and logging it and every other stat to be used against you in a court of law