Discuss

• Start date
  • Replies 79 Comments
  • Views 2,331 Views
The police in "police officer" is not a noun per se.

Maybe "invariable" is the wrong term to call a collective noun in English. I don't know. I don't speak English.

Three posters with horrid grammar in different ways arguing about it. Iag you are the queen of run on sentences. Cami you cannot spell and your punctuation or should I say lack thereof is pukeworthy. Matty you drift to some kind of english/french hybrid language that doesn't exist in the real world.

Way to go fuckos.

Was that plural?

Bacon, like you have room to talk, shut the fuck up. I for one, am not horrible with grammar. I am also not arguing with them either.

http://library201097.narod.ru/033/index142.html

Plural invariable nouns

176. Plural invariable nouns comprise two types - marked and unmarked plurals. I. In the first type the form of the noun itself shows plurality. These nouns are rather numerous. Semantically they fall into several groups: a) names of tools or articles of dress consisting of two equal parts which are joined: bellows, binoculars, breeches, braces, flannels, glasses, pants, pincers, pliers, pyjamas, scales, scissors, shorts, spectacles, suspenders, tights, tongs, trousers, tweeters; These nouns can be made singular and countable by means of a pair of: a pair of trousers, a pair of scissors. Accordingly they are used with the verb-predicate in the singular (this pair of trousers is ...) b) miscellaneous nouns: annals, antics, archives, arms, ashes, the Commons (the House of Commons), contents, customs, customs-duty, customs-house, earnings, goods, goods train, greens, holidays, summer-holidays, manners, minutes (of the meeting), outskirts, quarters, headquarters, stairs, suds, surroundings, thanks, troops, wages, whereabouts, the Middle Ages; c) some proper nouns: the East Indies, the West Indies, the Hebrides, the Highlands, the Midlands, the Netherlands. II. In the second type of the plural invariable nouns the meaning of plurality is not marked in any form (hence the term “unmarked plural invariables”). They are usually treated as collective nouns (собирательные). English collective nouns denote only living beings (family, police, clergy, cattle, poultry, etc.) and have two categorical meanings: the first - plurality as indivisible whole and the second - discrete plurality, that is plurality denoting separate beings. In the latter case these nouns are called nouns of multitude. Thus, one and the same noun may be a collective noun proper and a noun of multitude.

It's like watching three blind guys waive their canes at eachother arguing about how shiny the dime over there is.

Plural invariable nouns - they're a thing.

In your face, fuckos.

:jerk:

The police in "police officer" is not a noun per se.

Maybe "invariable" is the wrong term to call a collective noun in English. I don't know. I don't speak English.
Police officer is the noun....in the singular. Police is actually an unmarked invariable plural noun, like people and cattle. They are always plural, though they have no plural ending.
I think we may be arguing the same point but in different terminology at this point...

See what you started Cami?

Matty...did you have to diagram sentences in elementary school? If so, did you enjoy it? I did.

Do you think this guy had a bunch of pot in his duffle bag? I do.

It's like watching three blind guys waive their canes at eachother arguing about how shiny the dime over there is.

Except there are only two people arguing, fucko.

hahaha I just posted the same thing as you Matty.

Bacon..I am not horrible with grammar. My minor is in English. I may mess up here and there, but for the most part, I have it down.

How many of you caught that I ended that sentence in a preposition?

IAG
Police officer is the noun....in the singular. Police is actually an unmarked invariable plural noun, like people and cattle. They are always plural, though they have no plural ending.
I think we may be arguing the same point but in different terminology at this point...

You were arguing that police wasn't an invariable noun. Which it is. Fucko.

This shit spun totally out of control I don't want to see any feelings hurt. It's just grammar.

You were arguing that police wasn't an invariable noun. Which it is. Fucko.
Not in the traditional sense. IT IS UNMARKED.

UNMARKED I SAY!

Quit trying to rationalize the fact that you used a singular verb with a plural noun. The bottom line is you used grammatically incorrect sentence structure.

I acknowledged my mistake - cami can confirm.

IAG is trying to convince herself that she one-upped a guy who's writing to her in his second language, and yet she hasn't.

Bacon post a picture of you in Cami's panties and let's end this madness.