Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 172,988 Views
We had a hard time getting meat the first week of shutdown so I joined a meat share csa that has been doing direct mail advertising in my area for some time. Pricey, but I had 10lbs of red meat (and some butter and bacon and fish and eggs) to my door two weeks ago. My wife likes it because the name of the farmer is on the meat.

#hipsterdouchelocalgrassfedmeat

I learned a lot about running a restaurant from this article (and there is a COVID-19 connection)

So answer is raise prices? I wonder how that's gonna go. Problem is people know they can eat cheap at home, gonna be hard to convince to pay more, especially after all this. Probably just gonna lose a lot of places. :dunno:
People should've thought of this before begging for a shutdown.

I learned a lot about running a restaurant from this article (and there is a COVID-19 connection)
Now you run a restaurant? I thought you were just a govt employee.

Well played poster formerly known as Daft, well played.

Interesting article. Definitely written by a millennial. Not really the norm for restaurants btw. This guys place and price breakdown is considerably higher than most places. He says he doesn’t want to skimp on quality. Newsflash, you can still get quality at a lower price. BTW, if his “amazing sauce” is really costing him .50 a pop, he’s either a moron or he‘s lazy. Their situation and cost breakdown is unique. By the looks of it, he would be closed down soon virus or not.

Last edited:

Read the article and sounds right to me! It's a 24/7 business for the owner! Going further from what I know, believe or not, top restaurants pay $30-35 per pound for better filet m. and top end fishies are expensive too that Publix, Walmart, and other supermarkets don't carry. You see why they have to charge you $40-45 for a quality steak! One customer that says his steak was cooked wrong and sent back ain't good!

Sarasota FL butcher market buys per week 10 pounds of aged prime filet that costs him $86 per pound! Butcher said he has no problem getting rid of it! I say that, he said "selling it"! Never asked him the price he charges!

So answer is raise prices? I wonder how that's gonna go. Problem is people know they can eat cheap at home, gonna be hard to convince to pay more, especially after all this. Probably just gonna lose a lot of places. :dunno:
People should've thought of this before begging for a shutdown.

Restaurants are a tough business to begin with. Will the coronavirus hurt the industry? Yes. Will it be the Armageddon? Nope.

Read the article and sounds right to me! It's a 24/7 business for the owner! Going further from what I know, believe or not, top restaurants pay $30-35 per pound for better filet m. and top end fishies are expensive too that Publix, Walmart, and other supermarkets don't carry. You see why they have to charge you $40-45 for a quality steak! One customer that says his steak was cooked wrong and sent back ain't good!

Sarasota FL butcher market buys per week 10 pounds of aged prime filet that costs him $86 per pound! Butcher said he has no problem getting rid of it! I say that, he said "selling it"! Never asked him the price he charges!

Monkey, 95% of restaurants aren’t making their money on high end product.The stuff you are mentioning are more window dressing on a menu.

I'm amazed to learn that many restaurants and small businesses don't even have a month's rent in the bank. Every month end must feel like a heart attack.

Monkey, 95% of restaurants aren’t making their money on high end product.The stuff you are mentioning are more window dressing on a menu.

You know the business more than me so giving it more thought I see your point but yes the ones I stated spend that amount! Plus looking at the other less expensive restaurants (low end), we supply lots of frozen crap to and I say WTF! Didn't realize how much stuff gets delivered frozen!

You know the business more than me so giving it more thought I see your point but yes the ones I stated spend that amount! Plus looking at the other less expensive restaurants (low end), we supply lots of frozen crap to and I say WTF! Didn't realize how much stuff gets delivered frozen!

I’ve worked in roughly 15 different restaurants in the last 23 years. Very high end to chain. Frozen and canned stuff in all of them. The difference between the typical high end and the average meal restaurant is not as large as you might be lead to assume.

I'm amazed to learn that many restaurants and small businesses don't even have a month's rent in the bank. Every month end must feel like a heart attack.

A lot of restaurant owners make the mistake getting into business without having the proper amount of money put aside. Their dreams put a haze over reality. I’ve worked in 2 places where this happened.

Casp, I agree about the money but also I think, you might know better than me, that some owners/hands on operators don't really know WTF doing? All the money won't help them! If you're a guy investing money, than I supposed you really need a good manager overseeing everything? :dunno:

Casp, I agree about the money but also I think, you might know better than me, that some owners/hands on operators don't really know WTF doing? All the money won't help them! If you're a guy investing money, than I supposed you really need a good manager overseeing everything? :dunno:

A lot of them don’t know what they are doing unfortunately. The older I get and the experience I’ve gathered, I just shake my head at some decisions I’ve seen owners make.

Casper, you could run a restaurant with your knowledge and personality! The thing is you only have two eyes and I know you know what I mean!