Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 170,261 Views
Coronavirus is to flu as cv19 is to h1n1. People need to zoom out a little. The baby lebron analogy is snappy, but its completely inapplicable. Youre comparing yourself to a team with baby lebron, cant compare an individual to a team. Coronavirus is not in its infancy, this outbreak is. We know what coronavirus (collectively, sars, mers, others) is just as much as we knew what flu is, and know about as much about cv19 as we did at this stage in h1n1. Viewed in that light (the proper, not misconstrued para-frighten-apocalyptic light) im more scared of influenza, the adaptable and omnipotent, omnipresent human consuming virus. But as we said, I can be scared of both.

Yes, the analogy was meant to refer to the outbreak of this particular strain. I know you are taking this seriously so I don't mean to get on your case, I'm just in general sick of the "the flu hospitalizes more/kills more" point. I'll throw a that's "completely inapplicable" back at you. Scale matters.

I agree this isn't an either/or situation. And if you want to argue that in 10 years or 100 years or 1000 years that future strains of the flu will be more dangerous than future strains of covid that's fine... obviously I have no way of knowing or disputing that. But I can't imagine fearing the flu more than coronavirus in the PRESENT when the latter is clearly a more immediate threat.

I've said from the get-go that the media by nature blows everything out of proportion... but despite that, this is a really really big fucking deal. It isn't the end of days or anything, but it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better and claim tens of thousands of lives. Not to mention the other non-COVID related deaths when ICUs are packed to the brim and people die of other things. These are facts, not fear-driven-BS or media-manufactured paranoia.

Also, given that the proper analogy is h1n1 to cv19 - h1n1 was MUCH worse as it killed people under 65. This kills old people (fact). Young people value > old people.

Don't worry, next year they'll lock us down to avoid regular flu. This has worked so well. People are demanding politicians lock them (actually others) down. Gonna be a gift that keeps on giving. Easy way to control or eliminate unneeded people. And guess what, in pretty short time, they're gonna realize 90% of yous are unnecessary

Why are we still comparing diseases here? Big picture, this is an issue of bandwidth.

The bank called and it's suddenly asking you to double your mortgage payments, and you're a paycheck-to-paycheck kind of guy who's used to a very stable monthly nut.

A novel virus is additive, it doesn't replace prior bugs.

Don't worry, next year they'll lock us down to avoid regular flu. This has worked so well. People are demanding politicians lock them (actually others) down. Gonna be a gift that keeps on giving. Easy way to control or eliminate unneeded people. And guess what, in pretty short time, they're gonna realize 90% of yous are unnecessary

🤦‍♂️

Reno would rather build mass graves so as not to inconvenience parasitic slot players.

Also, given that the proper analogy is h1n1 to cv19 - h1n1 was MUCH worse as it killed people under 65. This kills old people (fact). Young people value > old people.

It is extremely fortunate that young people aren't getting hit nearly as hard as older people by this one.

But let's relax on the "MUCH worse"... 60.8 million cases in the US, 274,000 hospitalizations, 12,500 deaths (https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-pandemic-vs-swine-flu.html). Coronavirus is going to decimate these numbers and in all likelihood even claim more under-65 US lives than that one did.

More importantly, as Matty said right above... what is your point, anyway? This isn't terrible because you think something else is more terrible?

🤦‍♂️

Reno would rather build mass graves so as not to inconvenience parasitic slot players.

Reno thinks that this disease is the same thing as an oppressive government. Like rebelling against it makes you a hero or something. Better to die on your feet than die on your knees! Show these germs you won't take their shit!

Why are we still comparing diseases here? Big picture, this is an issue of bandwidth.

The bank called and it's suddenly asking you to double your mortgage payments, and you're a paycheck-to-paycheck kind of guy who's used to a very stable monthly nut.

A novel virus is additive, it doesn't replace prior bugs.

I wanna add that my bandwidth analogy isn't limited to the healthcare system, it applies to society as a whole. I need to find my source again but someone established that losing 6 to 8% of the workforce would bring society to a halt - too many people who suddenly can't do their job. An unmitigated approach to COVID-19 could very well get uncomfortably close to that figure.

That's why people like Trump end up going along with the advice they get from public health experts. This is not at all about "doing good", it's about keeping the world going (long term.)

You short-sighted fucks are really asking for it.

So you guys want to do nothing about cancer? Fucking animals.

🤦‍♂️

Nice use of the word parasitic, Matty, you corporate enema. Thanks for clarifying what I'd rather do

Reno only they're allowed to tell you what you should believe. They're sick and tired of you trying to tell them what they should believe. Also, conveniently they're the only ones access to facts.

Reno thinks that this disease is the same thing as an oppressive government. Like rebelling against it makes you a hero or something. Better to die on your feet than die on your knees! Show these germs you won't take their shit!
I'm glad you're able to clarify what I think. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that in my numerous posts here.
I understand you wanna try and sound like some objective, rational, thoughtful, caring individual. But seems you fail to comprehend the fairly simple issues I'm raising. And your only option apparently, is an arrogant attempt to paint what I'm saying as some frivolity, you can then easily dismiss with your very limited grouipthunk analysis. Not impressed.

I'm glad you're able to clarify what I think. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that in my numerous posts here.
I understand you wanna try and sound like some objective, rational, thoughtful, caring individual. But seems you fail to comprehend the fairly simple issues I'm raising. And your only option apparently, is an arrogant attempt to paint what I'm saying as some frivolity, you can then easily dismiss with your very limited grouipthunk analysis. Not impressed.

Eh, I think we comprehend each other pretty well. Laid out our arguments in decent detail. Already agreed to disagree... what else is there to do on conflicting view points that both of us feel strongly about?

This was just a bit for fun. Sorry it didn't impress you.

FB_IMG_1585947441355.jpg

Yeah, no, it's no good.

Tried the self-buzzcut. Ended up with some kind of backwoods prison vibe.

I have interrupted the process for the moment, but by the time I return to work on Sunday morning ---> bald.