Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 168,334 Views
Sweden took a gamble on COVID. And it lost the bet badly
The Swedish model failed.

Interesting. I don't know what the Sweden economy is made of, but it sounds like the global economy made it pointless for a small country like theirs to try a different approach than the rest of the world. Their GDP was going to take a significant hit no matter what, because of the international nature of most trade activity.

Anyway.

:nelson: :sweden:

Interesting.
I'm keeping an open mind and listening to many different opinions regarding covid. What I know for sure is this - I don't know anything.
I also don't understand how so many people (here at GL) and elsewhere seem to think they know exactly what is happening and what will happen later. The information seems to always be changing. What was believed to be true yesterday or three weeks ago may not be today etc.

Everything is just one big media conspiracy, plomberg.

I don't think much substantively has changed. Death rates of between .5-1% were predicted early on.
Primarily older population effected.
Shutdowns have major devastating aspects on all aspect of society.
Hysteria created to teach/test obedience, achieve geopolitical goals, and rob the public
Only new interesting things I've heard recently is the notion that immunity can exist without antibodies and that the virus can be weakening on its own.
Claiming we don't know anything is a cop out

I don't think much substantively has changed. Death rates of between .5-1% were predicted early on.
Primarily older population effected.
Shutdowns have major devastating aspects on all aspect of society.
Hysteria created to teach/test obedience, achieve geopolitical goals, and rob the public
Only new interesting things I've heard recently is the notion that immunity can exist without antibodies and that the virus can be weakening on its own.
Claiming we don't know anything is a cop out
Claiming we know everything is arrogant, and a mistake (IMO, WAL).

Interesting theory Coolie. Americans tend to see things a little differently (and more suspiciously) than people outside the USA.

Last edited:
there's a lot of gap between everything and anything.
Yeah, we know not to blindly trust in the well meaning intentions of our "leaders"and institutions. You'd almost have to be born yesterday to do so.
Maybe, healthy suspicion hasn't entered the colonies yet :dunno: After all, there's not really any decisions being made there anyways :thinking:

there's a lot of gap between everything and anything.
Yes, exactly my point. Coming to conclusions with only some (and not all of the) information available is not a great strategy (IMO, WAL).
Coronavirus is a good example. People without any formal education in the health/disease/science fields jumping to conclusions when much is still unknown.

Its very likely we know little to nothing right now. This will become clearer once this is all done.

Personally, as I'm sure I said before, demanding shutdowns without a proper debate and discussion of consequences is the wrong conclusion. The onus is on them to have "complete information".
I cringe every time I hear this new fad of people claiming they "follow the science", when in reality they are following one perspective presented to them.
It is not hard to find numerous experts who have the exact opposite opinions of what's pushed on us. These people are not presented on msm. why?
Let's have a debate. Maybe then we can have a more informed opinion. Otherwise it feels that what is pushed is agenda driven, and designed to appeal to the basest emotion of fear and conformity.
And no, you don't need to be an expert, to have opinions. You should research experts and explanations. (personally I like deciphering stats myself too) and blend those things with your personal experience and understanding of how things work. Debate with others. That to me, is the right methodology.
Saying, oh there was a seemingly well meaning expert on tv, or a caring governor, wanting to save lives, hence everybody must be forced to give up their rights, is arrogant and cowardly

Personally, as I'm sure I said before, demanding shutdowns without a proper debate and discussion of consequences is the wrong conclusion. The onus is on them to have "complete information".
How can they have complete information? At this stage of the game its not possible. Regarding Covid the experts have to assume the worst, just like when you call 911 and hang up. To do otherwise is irresponsible. These same experts have more information than you and I just by the fact they are trained in the medical profession. I'm much more interested in what they say than the opinions of regular citizens that make incorrect assumptions due to their bias of mistrusting the government.

Reno, you're a swell guy and I'd love to have a beer with you one day pal but your opinions (as well as mine) on the whole covid situation is for entertainment purposes only.

they can't. I don't expect complete information. But I expect that people and groups have motives. Their motives are usually not the love of humanity. We must question things, especially when they aim to eliminate the few rights we do have left. Otherwise, we will be lead to a world most wouldn't want.
Perhaps in Canada people are more trustful of their elites because they don't appear responsible for the endless wars, mass inequality, mass incarceration, etc.. But like I said, that's mostly an illusion due to Canada's status.

If one of us ever make it across the border :cheers:
Speaking of.. why is it still hard to travel across? 9/11 right. terrorists. saving lives

they can't. I don't expect complete information. But I expect that people and groups have motives. Their motives are usually not the love of humanity. We must question things, especially when they aim to eliminate the few rights we do have left. Otherwise, we will be lead to a world most wouldn't want.
Perhaps in Canada people are more trustful of their elites because they don't appear responsible for the endless wars, mass inequality, mass incarceration, etc.. But like I said, that's mostly an illusion due to Canada's status.

If one of us ever make it across the border :cheers:
Speaking of.. why is it still hard to travel across? 9/11 right. terrorists. saving lives
Dude, we can meet in Mexico, or Europe one day.

As for the illusion I live in as a citizen of Canada, its real for me. For this I am grateful.

So latest update on NYC with regards to 16,482 total confirmed COVID deaths from the NYC health website!

Deaths by age
0-17.. .0006%
18-44 3.9%
45-64 22%
65-74 35%
75+... 49%

Deaths by presence of underlying conditions
83% Underlying Condition*
1%...No Underlying Condition
16% Pending**

*Underlying conditions can include lung disease, asthma, heart disease, a weakened immune system, obesity, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease and cancer.
Due to ongoing investigations, the presence of underlying conditions has not been determined for all patients confirmed to have died from COVID-19.

So the same story continues regarding COVID deaths! Predominately elderly people who have an underlying illness are the unlucky ones!

Update for NYC from 5-25-20 numbers above

86% Underlying Condition*
006%...No Underlying Condition
13% Pending**

Update for NYC from 5-30-20 numbers above

87% Underlying Condition
.006% No Underlying Condition
12% Pending

Good job Bone Bone! You had it right! :up