Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 173,814 Views
Human beings are social creatures.

Most (if not all) of the people I have had any correspondence with hate this and can't wait to get back to normal.

Reasonable people understand that this is a major pandemic and that the measures being taken are necessary to save tens of thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of lives. Your bizarre leap to this dystopia where everyone accepts this as their new normal and is suddenly scared of even the common cold is just nonsensical madness.

Yes, there are legitimate concerns about the power of government and the freedoms it can take away. Yes, there are legitimate concerns about the long term economic and societal health ramifications of this shutdown.

But instead of focusing on these real world discussions you take this leap into fantasy land theories like social distancing isnt effective in slowing the spread of a disease OR that practicing it makes everyone subservient drones forever. It's like I'm reading a lazy scifi novel.

I really don’t understand how someone could read these words and think that I was being serious.

I will be more clear about when I’m fucking around next time.

To vagabond's defense, how can your post NOT be read as an attempt to downplay the seriousness of the coronavirus?

Between January and April of 2018, 234,000 Americans died of heart disease.

Shut down McDonalds, boys.

I know, I know. It’s not the same. I’m doing a thing and having fun with actual numbers, though

What thing are you doing? Are you not attempting to humorously making the point that this thing is being blown out of proportion?

It reads as truth-in-jest. Perhaps this wasn't your intention, but I can't really figure out another way to read "hey this unrelated thing is over 10x worse, maybe we should overreact to THAT too lol" as something other than a commentary on this?

Human beings are social creatures.

Most (if not all) of the people I have had any correspondence with hate this and can't wait to get back to normal.

Reasonable people understand that this is a major pandemic and that the measures being taken are necessary to save tens of thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of lives. Your bizarre leap to this dystopia where everyone accepts this as their new normal and is suddenly scared of even the common cold is just nonsensical madness.

Yes, there are legitimate concerns about the power of government and the freedoms it can take away. Yes, there are legitimate concerns about the long term economic and societal health ramifications of this shutdown.

But instead of focusing on these real world discussions you take this leap into fantasy land theories like social distancing isnt effective in slowing the spread of a disease OR that practicing it makes everyone subservient drones forever. It's like I'm reading a lazy scifi novel.
you don't think those things are related? You think that discussion of power is limited to some insignificant bottles of gel at the airport?
Power is used to shape society. Our non resistance is what paves the way for our own burial. All the rights we have today, are due to people struggling and rebelling.
You think this is so different from the common cold? If a 1/1000 chance of death from a coronavirus has convinced the masses to bury themselves at home for an undetermined amount of time, I'm pretty convinced they will bury themselves for any reason at anytime. And anyone who needs to sway public opinion for any goal, sees that. Be it war, mass imprisonment, elimination of undesirables etc...
They've been doing this stuff for a long time. But this virus, I'm afraid, has opened up opportunities they only previously dreamed off.

Let me ask you same question. How long will you tolerate being in this condition (assuming somebody can keep demonstrating there is a risk to safety)? One year, 2 years, 10? At what point does it become your life?

And let me make it clear. I think there's a good chance we will be freed soon. At least for a while. There are different forces with different interests.
Hopefully those who think keeping us locked up is counterproductive, will prevail. They would feel that way more, if we showed some resistance.

And by resistance I don't mean breaking the law necessarily. Start by putting pressure on the media to ask the right questions. Putting pressure on the politicians. Keep asking them, when they gonna open etc.. Instead of pressuring them to come up with stronger lockdowns. It's nuts :fischy:

you don't think those things are related? You think that discussion of power is limited to some insignificant bottles of gel at the airport?
Power is used to shape society. Our non resistance is what paves the way for our own burial. All the rights we have today, are due to people struggling and rebelling.
You think this is so different from the common cold? If a 1/1000 chance of death from a coronavirus has convinced the masses to bury themselves at home for an undetermined amount of time, I'm pretty convinced they will bury themselves for any reason at anytime. And anyone who needs to sway public opinion for any goal, sees that. Be it war, mass imprisonment, elimination of undesirables etc...
They've been doing this stuff for a long time. But this virus, I'm afraid, has opened up opportunities they only previously dreamed off.

Let me ask you same question. How long will you tolerate being in this condition (assuming somebody can keep demonstrating there is a risk to safety)? One year, 2 years, 10? At what point does it become your life?

I mean I can't even have a reasonable conversation with you with assertions like "You think this is so different from the the common cold" and "I'm pretty convinced [people] will bury themselves for any reason at anytime". So be it, then.

I don't know what my breaking point is on living like this. I'm lucky that I agree with the cause; even if everything re-opened tomorrow, I still wouldn't stop quarantining because I want to do my part to not potentially spread this thing. I'm willing to suffer a bit (first world suffering in the truest sense) so as not to spread a disease to hundreds or thousands and cause others to be in pain or to potentially die. I was doing this BEFORE the shutdown because it was the right thing to do, and that's still why I'm doing it. I guess I'll see when I stop caring if this goes on indefinitely.

Of course, this will probably just be blown off as propaganda they are using to control us.

yeah there's nothing new here, we've been hearing this from day 1. Notice they always admit, we cannot stop the spread, but only slow it down. So we're still at that issue of not overwhelming the system. Extra deaths are apparently caused by people not able to get treated. And this is supposed to cause a number of deaths many times higher.
I find this very suspect. I'm not seeing anywhere in the US, that people are dying because of not being admitted. Although I did hear a story of a guy being refused skin cancer surgery because his insurance, (falling back on the govt. mandate of no elective surgeries) has an excuse. And I'm hearing hospitals are firing staff, or closing, because there are no patients now.

But by all means, build hospitals, masks, beds, ventilators, offer more people more money to work in hazardous conditions. It's shameful that a rich country can't find a way. ...But I think they have, and it's a non issue .One can always say that the distancing prevented the overload, but again, I don't know of evidence for that, or anybody making that claim currently.

Finally if the distancing is having any effect at all, it's that of prolonging the pandemic. That's basically it's intent. And I bet the majority of the scared, don't even consider that. The distancing is what will cause multiple waves in the future.
And yes, this is a pandemic, and there's one every year.

If someone tries, they can avoid getting the virus. I'm not talking about people who need to be fed or infants or whatever. I'm talking about 80% of the population. Mobile humans with hands between ages 8-80.

Take responsibility for what you put in your eyes/ nose/mouth and you can choose not to get the disease. Fact.

It's as simple as personal responsibility. Politicians say "stay in everyone, you don't have the right to infect others." This ignores the fact that in 95% of cases, the person who is infected would not be infected BUT FOR their own careless action.

I get it. Changing the humans' way of life, that apparently includes touching our face all the time with unclean hands, will take a generation of learning. But if we can have 90% of the population not soiling themselves as a habit, surely we can teach that same population that if you touch your face that's on you - you might get sick and die.

Where's the personal responsibility grandma, fat guy with diabetes and organ transplant people?

"Real Time" host Bill Maher slammed the "PC police" Friday night for overreacting to the "Chinese virus" labeling controversy.

As the coronavirus outbreak continued spreading across the U.S., President Trump and others sparked a national debate by referring to the disease as the "Chinese coronavirus" or the "Wuhan virus" because it began infecting people in Wuhan, China. But critics of the labels called them "racist" and "xenophobic," insisting such terms would incite hate crimes against Asian-Amercans.

Maher mocked the complainers, listing several other illnesses that are named after their locations of origin -- such as the West Nile virus, Spanish flu and MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome). "You can't yell at someone for breaking a rule you just made up," he said, adding, "So why should China get a pass?"

The HBO star singled out Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., for condemning the term "Wuhan Virus" when he tweeted that the virus "is not constrained by country or race. Be just as stupid to call it the Milan Virus." "No, that would be way stupider because it didn't come from Milan. And if it did, I guarantee we'd be calling it the Milan Virus," Maher reacted. "Jesus F---ing Christ, can't we even have a pandemic without getting offended?"

"Seriously, it scares me that there are people out there who would rather die from the virus than call it by the wrong name. This isn't about vilifying a culture, this is about facts. This is about life and death."

The "Real Time" host then blasted the "PC police" for saying it's "racist" to attack another nation's cultural practice, pointing to the wet markets that remain open in China. "It's not racist to point out that eating bats is bats--- crazy," Maher exclaimed before citing experts including Dr. Anthony Fauci who have sounded the alarm on wet markets and the consumption of exotic animals.

"So when someone says, 'What if people hear Chinese Virus and blame China?' the answer is, 'We should blame China.' Not Chinese-Americans, but we can't stop telling the truth because racists get the wrong idea. There's always going to be idiots out there who want to indulge their prejudices, but this is an emergency! Don't we have bigger tainted fish to fry?"

He continued, "Sorry Americans, we're going to have to ask you to keep two ideas in your head at the same time: This has nothing to do with Asian-Americans and it has everything to do with China. We can't afford the luxury anymore of non-judginess towards a country with habits that kill millions of people everywhere. Because this isn't the first time. SARS came from China. And the bird flu. And the Hong Kong flu. The Asian flu. Viruses come from China just like shortstops come from the Dominican Republic. If they were selling nuclear suitcases at these wet markets, would we be so non-judgmental?"

Maher observed that if the Chinese military had deliberately used the virus as a bioweapon against the U.S., "we'd be at war" and that the virus has had a bigger impact on the U.S. economy than China's alleged "currency manipulation" that politicians have complained about.

"This is a dictatorship that for decades enforced a one-child-per-family policy under penalty of forced sterilization, but you can't close down the Farmer's Market from Hell?" the "Real Time" host told viewers. "Maybe to use that iron fist and pound it down like the whole world depends on it because it kind of does. And I hope that if someone told Americans that eating Hot Pockets could cause a worldwide pandemic that we would have the good sense of stop doing it. Although I wouldn't bet on it."

the personal responsibility grandma, fat guy with diabetes and organ transplant people?
this is what I'm saying my nigga, people are fucking nasty

the last time I was at Wal Mart there was this huge black lady sitting on the benches outside resting herself against her shopping cart with her big ol cheek resting on the handle bar, and she looked like she already needed oxygen 🤦

Between January and April of 2018, 234,000 Americans died of heart disease.

Shut down McDonalds, boys.

I know, I know. It’s not the same. I’m doing a thing and having fu

I got called an idiot over this post and then got a 2 paragraph reprimand from Vegas Dave so I just want to say that I’ve learned some important lessons from this and apologize to anyone who was offended/annoyed by my post.

I got called an idiot over this post and then got a 2 paragraph reprimand from Vegas Dave so I just want to say that I’ve learned some important lessons from this and apologize to anyone who was offended/annoyed by my post.

Tron, I’m offended you apologized.

You keep posting the way you post. Fuck, we’ve all been on here long enough not to get offended.

Mr.M, this is not a good thing. Maher was pretty discredited in my eyes, with the Russiagate fiasco. It's fun to see how all these guys can switch from Russia to China, from Iran to Iraq, it really doesn't matter. Bigoted exceptionalism has been taught to them from childhood. One thing I like about Trump, is that he resists pushing hateful rhetoric towards other countries, while the media keeps trying to get him to do it.
If you think about it, constantly calling the coronavirus Chinese or Wuhan or whatever, is totally unnecessary. Everybody knows what you're talking about just by saying virus. It's a childish game/provocation.

Mr.M, this is not a good thing.

Yes, but as long as he isn't pointing his criticism in the US of A or Trump's direction, I'm okay with it! Be happy, Russia is out of the spotlight!

Tron, I’m offended you apologized.

You keep posting the way you post. Fuck, we’ve all been on here long enough not to get offended.
I'm guessing that was a sarcastic post. Otherwise Tron really is losing it

Yes, but as long as he isn't pointing his criticism in the US of A or Trump's direction, I'm okay with it! Be happy, Russia is out of the spotlight!
:rolling: that can change at any moment brother