Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 173,906 Views
Looking at the chart that changes daily ..... just want to post these numbers periodically!

43,111 US Closed Cases
17,061 Deaths
26,050 Recovered

Know it won't be anywhere close to where it will end but 39/40% Death Rate presently!

Mr. Monkey you’re doing it wrong.

Death rate is based on total cases. People die faster than they recover, so the # of Recovered is going to explode within several weeks to a couple months.

Death rate is based on total cases. People die faster than they recover, so the # of Recovered is going to explode within several weeks to a couple months.

I get it, so that's the one to use! Just wanted to show the close case %! Thanks!

Mr. M and Matty, thanks for sharing. I thought Matty being younger should be getting consistent action. My hermit life does not seem that bad now.

I probably would if we weren't co-sleeping with our 6yo due to lack of space.

Moving into a proper 2-bedroom would cost an extra grand a month. And forget about buying - a 1000 sq ft 2-bedroom condo is 850k to 1mil here.

Maybe once wifey gets a full professorship.

Go wifey. I'll be in the bathroom watching vintage Anita Blonde clips.

:handshake:

And these guys say social distancing is effective and necessary in beating this thing:

(Among countless others)

:hmm: indeed. Anyone opposed to your viewpoint is wrong at best and part of this conspiracy to control our minds and freedoms at worst. Anyone who shares your opinions is smart and in the know?
:rolling: why do you keep trying to misrepresent what I'm doing? I'm just giving you an example, that there are "experts" who agree more or less with my view. I'm not saying there's more of them, or that they're the only smart ones.

:rolling: why do you keep trying to misrepresent what I'm doing? I'm just giving you an example, that there are "experts" who agree more or less with my view. I'm not saying there's more of them, or that they're the only smart ones.

Fair enough. You take a pretty dismissive tone against people who "fall in line" despite clear evidence that it's a good public health decision to do so, so I assumed you were just continuing that assault here. If you were just trying to offer a different (but not necessarily right or superior) perspective, my apologies.

Why do we even listen to these people’s opinions anymore? If 10 people with a MD in front of their name posted YouTube videos saying we should all go back to life as usual tomorrow, would anyone listen? Nope.

On the flip side, if 10 doctors said that we need to keep lockdown going until September because if we don’t, the virus will essentially hit 80% of the population, would you take that as something you’d strongly imagine happening? Probably not.

Guys, turn off the news for a week. Take time to chill. Find things to do in solitude. All this grandstanding and Nostradamus soothsayer bullshit by both sides is tiresome at best and cataclysmically anxiety injecting at worst.

For every grain of sense made, we have to sift through a ton of horseshit. I’d rather save my mask and gloves for more important tasks.

So I'm generally with you... I haven't been watching White House briefs. I don't watch TV news. I agree that constantly bombarding senses with negative stuff is obviously not enjoyable or particularly helpful.

I do however read articles and stats every day to stay informed. And I worry. It's nice that you are wired in a way that allows you to stay willfully ignorant or disconnected. I genuinely envy you and those like you that are enjoying this time off, through being productive or relaxing or some combination of both.

My mind is a prison. I can't just turn it off. If I try to relax or work when something else is on my mind, I reject the task at hand. I can't focus on work or enjoy the relaxation without being dragged back into the thing that's really on my mind, which in this case is loneliness and depression and worry about both the people close to me and society at large.

Your message is a nice one and it is well-received. I like that you want us all to be happy. But for some of us, head-in-the-sand isn't a choice we have the luxury of making. Dont take it for granted if you do have that choice!

Between January and April of 2018, 234,000 Americans died of heart disease.

Shut down McDonalds, boys.

I know, I know. It’s not the same. I’m doing a thing and having fun with actual numbers, though

I know, I know. It’s not the same. I’m doing a thing and having fun with actual numbers, though.

I blame Taco Bell

I know, I know. It’s not the same. I’m doing a thing and having fun with actual numbers, though

It's an important point though. Statistical things are what matter.
Media can make anything look overwhelming or insignificant.
Truth is the stress and sedentary lifestyle is more likely to kill you than the fucking virus.
I believe that many people instinctively feel, that Coronavirus is currently doubling or tripling the death rate. Why else would they shut down the country? :dunno:
People who are afraid they will die from the virus should stop worrying. There's good reason to stop :hattip:

You should love this: https://tylervigen.com/discover

Did you know that 100% of stats are stats?

Its a fact.

It's an important point though. Statistical things are what matter.
Media can make anything look overwhelming or insignificant.
Truth is the stress and sedentary lifestyle is more likely to kill you than the fucking virus.
I believe that many people instinctively feel, that Coronavirus is currently doubling or tripling the death rate. Why else would they shut down the country? :dunno:
People who are afraid they will die from the virus should stop worrying. There's good reason to stop :hattip:

Yes, but stress and sedentary lifestyles aren't extremely contagious. Coronavirus is.

I know this has been asked before, but I'm not sure you ever gave an answer.

What would the mortality rate of a disease have to be for you to think shutting down business as usual indefinitely (until there is a vaccine) was an acceptable idea?

I assume that if the mortality rate of this disease was 100%, ie every single person who gets it dies, you'd be in favor of people staying separated to try not to catch and spread it, right? But at 0.5%-2% of people who get it dying you would rather let this thing spread organically, do it's worst and keep life as we know it going.

So what is your cutoff? What mortality rate would make these quarantine and biz shutdown measures the right move?

You kept on harping on about 16k flu deaths. Now, there are more deaths due to covid-19, you are pulling something else. You are just being daft. The problem is not just deaths but it's a highly infectious disease. You are embarrassing yourself. You blamed windows OS for malware on your laptop. You are an idiot. Seriously.