• Replies 28 Comments
  • Views 3,019 Views

Mrs. X

seven of ten
Since
Mar 30, 2010
Score
Tokens
Television is evil but oh so tempting. I'm trying to avoid it. Give me some old school entertainment suggestions.

I'm downloading Super Freakanomics and Great Classic Science Fiction stories right now.

<3, :mrsx:

Pretty broad question. Having only meager clues about your taste in reading, I will simply lob out some personal favorites:

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
In Watermelon Sugar - Richard Brautigan
The Caine Mutiny - Herman Wouk
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

Hey, just thought of one I have tangible reason to think you might like:

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be - Farley Mowat (very good book for animal lovers)

Thanks! Searching now.

Super Freakanomics is really good. It's pretty much Freakanomics v.2. So, if you liked the first, there's no reason not to like the second.

I just found this site solely for audio book torrents. It doesn't have everything, but seems to be really good.

http://theaudiobookbay.com/

I like to read, but sometimes listening is easier.

I just finished reading 1776, a must read for any history fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Moneyball-Art...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278384786&sr=8-1

Billy Beane, general manager of MLB's Oakland A's and protagonist of Michael Lewis's Moneyball, had a problem: how to win in the Major Leagues with a budget that's smaller than that of nearly every other team. Conventional wisdom long held that big name, highly athletic hitters and young pitchers with rocket arms were the ticket to success.

But Beane and his staff, buoyed by massive amounts of carefully interpreted statistical data, believed that wins could be had by more affordable methods such as hitters with high on-base percentage and pitchers who get lots of ground outs. Given this information and a tight budget, Beane defied tradition and his own scouting department to build winning teams of young affordable players and inexpensive castoff veterans.

Lewis was in the room with the A's top management as they spent the summer of 2002 adding and subtracting players and he provides outstanding play-by-play. In the June player draft, Beane acquired nearly every prospect he coveted (few of whom were coveted by other teams) and at the July trading deadline he engaged in a tense battle of nerves to acquire a lefty reliever. Besides being one of the most insider accounts ever written about baseball, Moneyball is populated with fascinating characters. We meet Jeremy Brown, an overweight college catcher who most teams project to be a 15th round draft pick (Beane takes him in the first). Sidearm pitcher Chad Bradford is plucked from the White Sox triple-A club to be a key set-up man and catcher Scott Hatteberg is rebuilt as a first baseman.

But the most interesting character is Beane himself. A speedy athletic can't-miss prospect who somehow missed, Beane reinvents himself as a front-office guru, relying on players completely unlike, say, Billy Beane. Lewis, one of the top nonfiction writers of his era (Liar's Poker, The New New Thing), offers highly accessible explanations of baseball stats and his roadmap of Beane's economic approach makes Moneyball an appealing reading experience for business people and sports fans alike. --John Moe --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

I just finished reading 1776, a must read for any history fan.

Am I a history fan? I'm not exactly sure. Books about history tend to be dry. But I did just read Sara Vowell's Partly Cloudy Patriot and loved it.

I'll take a look. Thanks Tullamore.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Roofs-P...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278385377&sr=1-1

In 1941, Henry Miller, the author of Tropic of Cancer, was commissioned by a Los Angeles bookseller to write an erotic novel for a dollar a page. Under the Roofs of Paris (originally published as Opus Pistorum) is that book. Here one finds Miller’s characteristic candor, wit, self-mockery, and celebration of the good life. From Marcelle to Tania, to Alexandra, to Anna, and from the Left Bank to Pigalle, Miller sweeps us up in his odyssey in search of the perfect job, the perfect woman, and the perfect experience.

Bread is gonna hate this thread.

Sometimes you are sharper than you appear Herman.

http://www.amazon.com/Cash-Games-No...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278390593&sr=8-2

The first years of the poker boom were fueled by the interest in no-limit hold em tournaments. Recently, however, players have been gravitating to another, even more complex form of hold em no-limit cash games.
In Harrington on Cash Games: Volume I, Dan Harrington teaches you the key concepts that drive deep-stack cash game play. You ll learn how to tailor your selection of starting hands to your stack size, how to recognize the increasing deception value of supposedly weaker hands as the stack sizes increase, and how to use the concept of pot commitment to your advantage as the size of the pot grows. After laying out the general concepts behind deep-stack cash game play, Harrington shows you a complete strategy for post-flop play, and then teaches you the difference between post-flop play against a single opponent and post-flop play against multiple opponents. If you play no-limit hold em cash games, you need to read this book.

Dan Harrington won the gold bracelet and the World Champion title at the $10,000 buy-in No-Limit Hold em Championship at the 1995 World Series of Poker. And he was the only player to make the final table in 2003 (field of 839) and 2004 (field of 2,576) considered by cognoscenti to be the greatest accomplishment in WSOP history. In Harrington on Cash Games, Harrington and two-time World Backgammon Champion Bill Robertie have written the definitive books on no-limit cash games. These books will teach you what you need to know to be a winner in the cash game world.

Some of the book is very basic for the more experienced player but repeated readings of this book (and VOL II which covers the turn and the river) have helped my poker play