Book suggestions?

• Start date
  • Replies 28 Comments
  • Views 3,027 Views
So you do have an ugly side...

I've seen it man. It doesn't happen often, but when Mr. X cuts, he cuts deeeeep.

http://www.amazon.com/Cash-Games-No...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278390593&sr=8-2

Some of the book is very basic for the more experienced player but repeated readings of this book (and VOL II which covers the turn and the river) have helped my poker play

Daft,

The X's are pro Daft.

I am so good at poker that I gave lessons to Dan Harrington. He made me sign a non disclosure form, so there would be no record but, for realz yo, me big poker pro. I wrote those books son. I've won so many bracelets and so many units from poker I've lost count. I can't tell you how many times I've been doing poker stuff on the internets and I was all winning and stuff and I was like, man, I am so good at this poker it's crazy!

So, thanks for the book recommendation my fluffy haired lil' mutton chop. But, as I'm sure you can understand, I'm going to pass on this one.

love,
Mrs. X (professional scientist and world class poker player)

MrsX, I thought you were going to bed.

Daft,

The X's are pro Daft.

I am so good at poker that I gave lessons to Dan Harrington. He made me sign a non disclosure form, so there would be no record but, for realz yo, me big poker pro. I wrote those books son. I've won so many bracelets and so many units from poker I've lost count. I can't tell you how many times I've been doing poker stuff on the internets and I was all winning and stuff and I was like, man, I am so good at this poker it's crazy!

So, thanks for the book recommendation my fluffy haired lil' mutton chop. But, as I'm sure you can understand, I'm going to pass on this one.

love,
Mrs. X (professional scientist and world class poker player)

Pally?:mrx:

I am sure we still have RS. He is everywhere, perhaps even omnipotent.

Muddy I just ordered Catch 22 based on your suggestion

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Gam...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278427219&sr=1-1

Review
“...lush, evocative photography...” (goal.com )

“...readers will no doubt find something to identifywith in the anecdotes of great players.” (goal.com )

“...the undemanding book is fun to flip through and 5 percent ofthe revenue from the book goes to UNICEF. Recommended.” (Los Angeles Daily News )

“A Beautiful Game also offers an interesting data set: a rare chance to considerthe question of what makes a player from the perspectives of the players themselves.” (Pitch Invasion )

“Don’t let the long title intimidate you: This large-format offering is filled with gorgeousphotos and candid interviews with some of the sport’s most accomplished players, who share their love of the game.” (Washington Post )

“...a generous collection of eye-catching photographs, this coffee-table book lets some of the world’s best players track back to their days as youngsters and write about how the sport seduced them.” (New York Times )

“Full of vibrant images, the book is an inspiring ode to the sport.” (San Francisco Chronicle )

“...a great promise that’s beautifully executed.” (Oregonian (online) )
Product Description
Wherever you are on earth, it's only a matter of time before you come across children playing soccer. Another five minutes and you will probably find yourself having a ball rolled to your feet as an invitation to join in the game. Soccer is a common language and a culture shared: a joy, a passion, an escape, and an affirmation of identity understood and celebrated by children—and their parents—in every country around the globe.

For this unique collaborative project, soccer writer Tom Watt talked to the world's top players about growing up and falling in love with the game: Argentina's Lionel Messi and Brazil's Gilberto Silva; England's David James and Scotland's Craig Gordon; Italy's Fabio Cannavaro, Spain's Iker Casillas, and France's Franck Ribry; South Africa's Benni McCarthy and Nigeria's Nwankwo Kanu; USA's Landon Donovan and Japan's Shunsuke Nakamura; and the world's most famous player, David Beckham.

A Beautiful Game tells their stories, in the players' own words—stories of boys who would grow up to be heroes for a new generation of young players and fans. They look back to their childhoods: to their family homes, to their schoolrooms, to the friends they grew up with, and to the places where they first played the game that has made them stars. The players' words are brought to life with over 160 full-color images that offer rare, emotive, and striking insights into childhood all over the world, and celebrate soccer's ability to touch the lives of children—and adults—wherever the beautiful game is played.

Five percent of the originating publisher's revenue from sales of the book worldwide will benefit selected UNICEF sports-related projects.

Muddy I just ordered Catch 22 based on your suggestion

Oh yeah? Hope you like it. It's a classic of American satire IMO.

Joe Heller has a few very good books but Catch-22 is generally considered the gold standard.

http://www.amazon.com/Soccernomics-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280109520&sr=1-1

I just picked this up. Good stuff.

Daily Telegraph
"If you're a football fan, I'll save you some time: read this book ... compulsive reading ... thoroughly convincing."

Observer
"Szymanksi has recently published the best introduction to sports economics ... while Kuper is probably the smartest of the new generation of super-smart sportswriters ... fascinating stories."

Metro
"[Kuper and Szymanski] basically trash every clich about football you ever held to be true. It's bravura stuff … the study of managers buying players and building a club is one you’ll feel like photocopying and sending to your team's chairman"

Paddy Harverson, former communications director of Manchester United, Financial Times
"Demolishes ... many soccer shibboleths ... well argued, too. Szymanski, an economist, knows his stuff, and Kuper, a born contrarian and FT sports writer, is incapable of clich ... great stories and previously unknown nuggets."

Sport Magazine
"One for the thinkers"

The Times
"More thoughtful than most of its rivals and, by football standards, postively intellectual ... Kuper, a brilliantly contrary columnist, and Szymanski, an economics professor ... find plenty of fertile territory in their commendable determination to overturn the lazy preconceptions rife in football."

Prospect
"Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski are a highly effective and scrupulously rational team, combining the former's detailed and nuanced understanding of European football with the latter's sophisticated econometric analysis. With a remarkable lightness of touch, they desmonstrate the limits of conventional thinking in football, as well as the real patterns of behaviour that shape sporting outcomes."
See