Attention poster Casperwaits: The Uber Black Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 47 Comments
  • Views 614 Views
Hypothetical situation, say you're driving your Escalade at 3am on a Saturday night and you get an order for a party of 4 at a Waffle House near I-95. As you pull up on the parking lot you notice 4 rappers waiting outside. Do you A. Make the pickup or B. Keep driving?
The one thing good about DoorDash is you can say no to any order you don’t want to pick up. I will not drive if the miles/dollar aren’t equal or better.

For instance, if I have to drive 7 miles total for the delivery, I better be guaranteed $7 or better.

Hypothetical situation, say you're driving your Escalade at 3am on a Saturday night and you get an order for a party of 4 at a Waffle House near I-95. As you pull up on the parking lot you notice 4 rappers waiting outside. Do you A. Make the pickup or B. Keep driving?
Pick up but ordering a frappe for the road

The one thing good about DoorDash is you can say no to any order you don’t want to pick up. I will not drive if the miles/dollar aren’t equal or better.

For instance, if I have to drive 7 miles total for the delivery, I better be guaranteed $7 or better.
some anecdata for tronny fwiw, I know zero uber drivers and I know a ton of food delivery drivers

Doesn’t that jack up your score, and then you get the shittier pickup options?

I did DD for roughly 19 days back in 2016.

Doesn’t that jack up your score, and then you get the shittier pickup options?

I did DD for roughly 19 days back in 2016.
Okay so as long as you do 50% you are still eligible for preferred status.

I’m at 84%

No way I’m dropping that low lol

Nice, man! That’s good to know, you have more flexibility over time. I hadskewed perspective from the small sample size I experienced.

After DansDeals Tweet About Anti-Semitic Driver, Uber Takes Quick Action​

Okay, so if Uber Eats is like DoorDash, the tip is built in and explained to you before you take the order.

I can’t imagine it isn’t. Nobody would work for Uber Eats if it wasn’t.

Anybody stupid, careless and full of so much hatred to text a customer that should not only be banned from driving for Uber Eats, they should be blacklisted from every mobile delivery app.

Oh, I thought you already had an Uber Black-eligible vehicle. I'd vote firmly against investing in a car and putting a bunch of miles on it for the sake of Ubering, I think it'd almost certainly wind up being a -EV decision.
Here’s the thing, though.

I’m either going to buy a Tahoe, Telluride, a 7-10 year old Porsche 911 or a Suburban. I will be purchasing a vehicle regardless.

The 911 is obviously the least practical but will depreciate the least. The SUV angle is that I want one anyway for long road trips to the mountains. I’m not wealthy enough to justify a used 911 and a new Suburban.

The Suburban is the least expensive vehicle that qualifies for Uber Black.

My initial gut feeling about starting my own transportation company is ————> huge pain in the ass.

With Uber/Lyft, I don’t have to worry about the business end/accumulating customers.

@roguejuror , I was totally unaware that riders will make false allegations to get free ride vouchers. That’s fucked up.

some anecdata for tronny fwiw, I know zero uber drivers and I know a ton of food delivery drivers
I appreciate that insight. Here’s the thing with food delivery, though: that also involves a lot of hoofing up stairs, your car feeling like a fast food restaurant, finding parking at restaurants so you can pick food up.

And I can’t get over the fact that every Uber guy I talk to says Uber Black is the way to go.

:dunno:

Maybe I’ll just tail Stevie’s sports plays.

Here’s the thing, though.

I’m either going to buy a Tahoe, Telluride, a 7-10 year old Porsche 911 or a Suburban. I will be purchasing a vehicle regardless.

The 911 is obviously the least practical but will depreciate the least. The SUV angle is that I want one anyway for long road trips to the mountains. I’m not wealthy enough to justify a used 911 and a new Suburban.

The Suburban is the least expensive vehicle that qualifies for Uber Black.

My initial gut feeling about starting my own transportation company is ————> huge pain in the ass.

With Uber/Lyft, I don’t have to worry about the business end/accumulating customers.

@roguejuror , I was totally unaware that riders will make false allegations to get free ride vouchers. That’s fucked up.
If you are already going to buy the car, then zero risk in trying it out. Takes virtually no time to sign up and get approved to drive. You can see how you like it, see how much money you make, etc.

No reason to overthink it. Give it a go and see what happens. Good luck!