• Replies 47 Comments
  • Views 612 Views

Tron

Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
@CASPERWAIT$

If I remember correctly you drove Uber for a bit. You talked about earnings and the ins and outs.

I retired a few years ago but I’ve been contemplating doing Uber Black for some extra vacation money.

My understanding is you have to have a Chevy Suburban, Caddie Escalade or an Infinity Qx60 and it can’t be older than 6 years old.

I’ve spoken to Uber/Lyft drivers and they said Uber/Lyft are taking a bigger and bigger % every year but to a man they all say Uber Black is the way to go.

It’s attractive to me because

-no boss
-I work when I want to work (I know I’ll have to do some non-ideal hours like weekend nights occasionally).

I’m assuming I can write off wear and tear etc at tax time?

Caspy, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

:moped:

@CASPERWAIT$

If I remember correctly you drove Uber for a bit. You talked about earnings and the ins and outs.

I retired a few years ago but I’ve been contemplating doing Uber Black for some extra vacation money.

My understanding is you have to have a Chevy Suburban, Caddie Escalade or an Infinity Qx60 and it can’t be older than 6 years old.

I’ve spoken to Uber/Lyft drivers and they said Uber/Lyft are taking a bigger and bigger % every year but to a man they all say Uber Black is the way to go.

It’s attractive to me because

-no boss
-I work when I want to work (I know I’ll have to do some non-ideal hours like weekend nights occasionally).

I’m assuming I can write off wear and tear etc at tax time?

Caspy, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

:moped:
I actually never drove Uber

I did DoorDash. Actually did 5 runs this afternoon.

Never ventured into the driving people around department. I try to avoid people these days lol

That said, DoorDash and Uber are similar to the questions you ask.

You do make your own hours. You do get to write off your car payments and has as tax write offs.

I will say that you're basically making $17 an hour. Not a lot, but you do get to make your own goods, and it’s mindless

Don’t believe what most say.

You can definitely make some easy and simple cash if you play your cards right

@CASPERWAIT$ knows. He’s sharp.

@Tron

You’ll do well because you’re smart ..

You can do really well ..

Casper is he was a hockey player: Garnet Hathaway.

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

@Tron

Seriously, check it out..

It’s fun and you meet some great folks..

And you make some cash money..

That said, DoorDash and Uber are similar to the questions you ask.

You do make your own hours. You do get to write off your car payments and has as tax write offs.

I will say that you're basically making $17 an hour. Not a lot, but you do get to make your own goods, and it’s mindless
are you taking home $17 per hour or is that Gross? The $17 includes tips or no?

Mindless is what I’m looking for. Driving around listening to tunes.

Having driven for Lyft, I can say it's super grindy. The hourly was worth it for me when I chased surges during peak hours on Friday and Saturday nights at local hot spots. But during non-peak hours it wasn't worth it at all. Gotta factor in gas money, time driving without fares, etc. Not sure it's worth putting a bunch of miles on a nice car for.

But, the cool thing is, it's super easy to get approved and to quit. So no harm in trying it out and seeing if you like it. If you want chill and tunes, go the food delivery route instead of the people delivery route. Some people want to chat, have their own music preferences, etc. I never minded it, but it wasn't always mindless depending on the people.

Great input so far, boys.

My thinking on Uber Black vs Uber Eats….

I’ve heard that Uber Eats is steadier work but it also involves a lot of parking your car and then going on foot in some less than desirable areas whereas Uber Black is more bang for your buck.

Has anyone here done Uber Black as opposed to just standard Uber/Lyft?

Obviously the start up cost on Uber Black is steeper (I’m only considering a new Suburban as the other vehicles that qualify are out of my price point).

I definitely understand that I’m looking at working one of Friday/Saturday night and doing a lot of airport runs for wealthy clients

The tricky part is…..if I make the initial investment on a new/new-ish Suburban, doing Uber Eats in a gas guzzler could easily get -EV very quickly. But if I don’t get a Suburban, Uber Black is off of the table.

Oh, I thought you already had an Uber Black-eligible vehicle. I'd vote firmly against investing in a car and putting a bunch of miles on it for the sake of Ubering, I think it'd almost certainly wind up being a -EV decision.