Ask Mudcat A Question

• Start date
  • Replies 364 Comments
  • Views 37,546 Views
Mudcat, looking back was there something specific that made you say, "holy fuck I'm a mess and I need to go to rehab."

Mudcat, do you prefer to write songs on an acoustic guitar or a piano?

Mudcat, have you ever been to Venice, Italy?

Mudcat, looking back was there something specific that made you say, "holy fuck I'm a mess and I need to go to rehab."

Tough to give a short answer to that one.

I finally got serious about change in 1990 and the main reason was not because I was concerned about my substance abuse per se, but because I was unhappy with how I was living. I was a mess: psychologically, financially, professionally, socially, love life, other relationships. Plus I had these dreams for what I wanted my life to be - like I wanted to write and make music - but nothing ever happened. All I ever did was get wasted into a blackout. No matter what good ideas I might have, getting high always ended up being the priority.

Then there was a wake-up call - an OD. It wasn't the first I ever had but for whatever reason I had an epiphany that time. Maybe I didn't use because life sucks; maybe life sucks because of my using. Maybe there is hope for me and I can be less depressed and have better relationships and work towards those dreams if I clean up. I went for it.

You said rehab and I didn't actually check into a rehab. I just started going to a lot of meetings and working on some targeted issues every day. But basically the same idea.

Mudcat, do you prefer to write songs on an acoustic guitar or a piano?

Tough question. Apples and oranges scenario.

I would say piano though. With my very limited abilities, I find I can have more flexibility in terms of chords and progressions on piano.

Mudcat, have you ever been to Venice, Italy?

No I've never been much of anywhere. I have seldom been out of Canada and the only other country I have been to is the USA, except for a trip to Barbados when I was a little kid.

If you weren't in a relationship and Flo from Progressive offered you sex with the precursor that you had to get high with her first, would you do it?

First drug used and what age?

Setting aside stuff like the Gravol I was given for car sickness all through my childhood . . .

My first bold step into the world of intoxicants was a pretty standard story. There were 4 of us and someone's older brother bought us a case of 24 beers (Labatt's 50). We were in grade 9 so I was 13.

I drank 6 and threw up.

If you weren't in a relationship and Flo from Progressive offered you sex with the precursor that you had to get high with her first, would you do it?

Diabolical question. Cruel.

But although it would give me great pain, I would have to say no and be content to continue fantasizing about what sexy things are going on under that uni of hers.

awkwardness-joking-with-flo-progressive-insurance-demotivational-poster-1282085041.jpg

Thanks for answering my questions, Mudcat.

Muddy I'm glad you got your life in a good place

It is our gain as much as yours :)

Muddy what was going through your mind the moments before meeting fivey? Were you nervous? How about the moment you met him, how was that? Do you think you have a good chance of winning potm?

When you met Fivey, did he draw a dick on your face and yell LOLHAITI?!?!

Oh man I sure hope not!

If you knew you were going to die at midnight tonight, what would you do today?

Muddy what was going through your mind the moments before meeting fivey? Were you nervous? How about the moment you met him, how was that? Do you think you have a good chance of winning potm?

Before meeting fivey I was thinking, 'What is he going to be like?' I have seen/heard so many different things and gotten so many different impressions. What should I expect? Was he going to be funny? Moody? Sociable? Not so sociable?

Yes I was nervous. Was he going to turn me into pimike and I would end up with a large fluorescent outline of a cawk floating in the air on my head?

The moment I met him, I was slightly surprised. He is taller and thinner than I anticipated. That aside, it is weird meeting forum people and having a character you have known for years suddenly take real life form. But ultimately, he matched my expectations a fair bit. He is funny and pleasantly animated and random.

I never see myself as POTM material. I have some virtues, sure, but I lack that certain je ne sais quoi.

When you met Fivey, did he draw a dick on your face and yell LOLHAITI?!?!

Oh man I sure hope not!

No he took it easy on me, probably out of respect for my advancing years.

Muddy do you accept requests? Bring back the orange shorts

I do take requests but only if I can remain properly stylish and coordinated. Let me see if I can find the right top to go with them.