Any whiskey drinkers?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,463 Comments
  • Views 119,057 Views
I do a lot of shit. I'm still working for GE, doing the record label, and my own music as well.

A lot of juggling.

That's really cool man. A lot of my customers do TV/movie/commercial stuff, that seems to be where the (only?) money is.

Pretty much. It's a strange goal to me as a musician - "Boy I wish I was on that commercial." So I try not to think about that too much, and I definitely don't write to that goal as you can probably tell from the new album - it's anything but commercial. But yeah the market is basically: TV/film, live shows, merch. If you can make any money at all on digital then that's great. I usually sell my stuff on Bandcamp for $1 for the whole album. This helps build your base more than people realize. Building an email list is pretty important. Talking on social media to your fans is important. Spotify sucks but it's where everyone goes, so that's important. All the stuff that didn't matter 20 years ago is now important.

Pretty much. It's a strange goal to me as a musician - "Boy I wish I was on that commercial." So I try not to think about that too much, and I definitely don't write to that goal as you can probably tell from the new album - it's anything but commercial. But yeah the market is basically: TV/film, live shows, merch. If you can make any money at all on digital then that's great. I usually sell my stuff on Bandcamp for $1 for the whole album. This helps build your base more than people realize. Building an email list is pretty important. Talking on social media to your fans is important. Spotify sucks but it's where everyone goes, so that's important. All the stuff that didn't matter 20 years ago is now important.
Why does Spotify suck? I love Spotify, but as a listener, not an artist.

Yeah Spotify is great - as a listener and enjoyer of music on the go I use it all the time. But if you're looking to support your buddy's music - the up and coming or independent artist - do that through Bandcamp or buy some merch or physical releases. Spotify pays $0.00473 per stream. At $0.00473 per play, artists will need around 336,842 total plays to earn $1,472. Not sure where they came up with the benchmark need of $1,472 but you can see what they are saying here.

My spotify playlist basically ends with music from the 90's so most of the artists I listen to have already made the bulk of their money from albums/cd's/tours and/or are dead.
I understand its different for current musicians and that sucks.
I wish I could listen to and like new releases but I just don't.

:balloons:

Yeah you don't have to apologize for your music taste Plommer, enjoy what you want how you want. People complain about new music being no good - there's not much incentive anymore. This is part of a larger problem - most things changed for artists drastically after the whole Napster thing. The one good thing about it all being online and more accessible is that more artists are getting heard. To me - if you would have asked me 20 years ago if it would "be enough" for your music to be heard around the world or do you need the money/fame I would have absolutely taken the opportunity to get new listeners and fans. I talk with people daily from all over the world about my songs, had a guy from Russia on Saturday and another from Germany on Monday reach out. It's enough for me.

Boys, don’t sleep on the Old Hickory. I thought I would hoard, but can’t resist guzzling it down.

7289F660-AC79-40F4-9DA3-6281D7524080.jpeg

common Blitty, resize that fackin picture pal. Cant even see the whole thing without scrolling for a few seconds.

Yes but it was never really a valid complaint until now.

You sound like my brother. Guy hasn't listened to anything new since 311 and Pennywise.

I purchase at least 4 new music songs a month. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but I think a lot of people would be surprised that if you seek it out, there is new music out there for everyone.

Anyway, I stopped in this thread to tell you I forgot to mention Hudson Baby Bourbon, plommer. It is really tasty. Give it a looksie.

Anyway, I stopped in this thread to tell you I forgot to mention Hudson Baby Bourbon, plommer. It is really tasty. Give it a looksie.
I looked but couldn't find it locally pal. Looks like its not available in my province.

We don't send the good shit to Canada brother Plomm. We expect you to send the good shit here :goodsay: