Aging

• Start date
  • Replies 342 Comments
  • Views 35,309 Views
I am getting to the point where I really don't care that much about dying. My indifference towards eternal indifference is growing.

I mean sure; I care. But I'm certainly not as freaked out about dying as, say, the average person who purports to believe in an afterlife.

I am not worried about pushing it as far as I can. I actually think I would start smoking at this point (if I could think of one single tiny thing positive about it.)

Mom called me 40 today.

I made it clear it's not true

yet

I am getting to the point where I really don't care that much about dying. My indifference towards eternal indifference is growing.

I mean sure; I care. But I'm certainly not as freaked out about dying as, say, the average person who purports to believe in an afterlife.

I am not worried about pushing it as far as I can. I actually think I would start smoking at this point (if I could think of one single tiny thing positive about it.)

Maybe a few joints will increase creativity for your music? Could be positive.

Or you could just end up eating calzones. :dunno:

Unfortunately for me, any kind of joints or anything turns step-by-step into a major clusterfuck.

Not particularly against it from the reduced-life-expectancy standpoint; it's the quality of life issue. As soon as I start dabbling in anything stronger than coffee, life as we know it ends.

Even if cannabis becomes universally legalized?

What is the hierarchy of how strong a substance is between: Nicotine, Caffeine, and THC?

My addiction issue is not a legal one. I wish legalization could somehow make thing all better - but no.

I guess the hierarchy depends on the individual. For me it would be - with most strong/impactful at the top

THC

nicotine

caffeine

Hey Muddy, what do you think about this article someone posted? Feel like this view point makes a lot sense.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html

"Peter Cohen argues that human beings have a deep need to bond and form connections. It's how we get our satisfaction. If we can't connect with each other, we will connect with anything we can find -- the whirr of a roulette wheel or the prick of a syringe. He says we should stop talking about 'addiction' altogether, and instead call it 'bonding.' A heroin addict has bonded with heroin because she couldn't bond as fully with anything else.

So the opposite of addiction is not sobriety. It is human connection."

So my mum has officially started to suffer from dementia. Not a surprise. Her mother had progressive Alzheimers for the last 10 years of her life, and I have seen little signs in my mum for awhile.

But it is, as I say, official. She has spells. She sometimes believes she has 3 cats. (She has 1.) But she talks to my dad like she is sure she has 3 - and then after the fact she remembers how she was so sure of the delusion.

So it goes.

So the opposite of addiction is not sobriety. It is human connection.

That's bullshit. The opposite of addiction is balance/variety.

My parents' 60th anniversary is in September.

My sister is working on getting them a letter from the Queen. She mentioned this is an email between siblings - and I thought she was making a droll joke - but turns out, it's a thing.

I can't wait to get my own letter from the Queen! She'll be 148 years old at that point.

:handshake:

TdpFPs3.jpg

Being an unrelvant nothingster - I am learning to embrace it more and more.

It's like, I've had a lip scab this week. Not sure how it started; prolly a zit. Then prolly shaved the cap off a couple times. Got pretty grody.

There was a time I would have been feeling very put out, but really, who cares?

Nobody. Unrelvant.

I heard someone talking about a key television demographic of 18-34.

:fok:

I am unrelvant. Literally. I am decades unrelvant.

But it's okay. I don't have to watch shows about important issues if I don't feel like it. There is a documentary about that shooting at the mall in Kenya. I feel like I might find it upsetting and then I realize - well then don't watch it.

I have no responsibility to keep informed.

Let young people worry about it - or not. Up to them.

Ima eat M & M's and play facebook games.

Facebook is like Sesame Street for older folks.

Sit them in front of it and they keep occupied and out of your hair.

That's good material. I should write that down. Possible add a few alterations to the punchline.