Aging

• Start date
  • Replies 342 Comments
  • Views 35,228 Views
it turned out that 40 years ago cremation technology was inferior, so there were actual chunks of bone and stuff in there that would apparently never happen with today's more thorough cremating.

Cremation is cremation. The difference nowadays is that after cremation they put the chunks of bone in an industrial style blender (made for the funeral industry) and pulverize the remaining bone matter into ashes.

When grandma Plommer died a couple years ago they had to remove the pacemaker from her remains before cremation could take place.

that mausoleum is sounding better and better...

IAG
that mausoleum is sounding better and better...

Mausoleums smell like death/stale flowers.

Plus they are creepy as fuck. Stacks of rotting corpses simmering behind concrete walls.

Pass.

Get cremated and have ashes sprinkled in a lake or something. When you're gone you're really gone.

Easy.

One of my facebook friends posted this awhile back:

When I was younger, I was fearful of getting older. I have to say that I was silly to waste any precious moments worrying. I have never felt healthier, happier or more peaceful than I do now. Life is good.

My reply was that I am the opposite. When I was younger I never gave it much thought but now, I find it sucks in many ways indeed.

She said she was surprised at my thoughts, and I said it was the sort of debate where I have no interest in drawing people over to my point of view, and I said she looks great and I was glad she was feeling great.

If we get to the point where consciousnesses can be uploaded to computers, and bodies become obsolete, what do you think people who live on in digital form will choose to do with their dead bodies?

I bet they'll do all kinds of goofy shit with them.

Mausoleums smell like death/stale flowers.

Plus they are creepy as fuck. Stacks of rotting corpses simmering behind concrete walls.

Pass.

Get cremated and have ashes sprinkled in a lake or something. When you're gone you're really gone.

Easy.
I don't know what you are referring to, but I will have my own personal mausoleum. No drawers of dead people rotting. Just me.

IAG
I don't know what you are referring to, but I will have my own personal mausoleum. No drawers of dead people rotting. Just me.

Big spender!!

Typical costs:

• Community mausoleums in cemeteries or churches can have hundreds of crypts, which are purchased individually. A single or double crypt in a large community mausoleum starts between$3,000 and $10,000, but can increase to $15,000-$30,000 for a double crypt in an upscale mausoleum.
  • Garden/outdoor crypts (no covered "lobby" or visiting area) generally are less expensive than indoor crypts with amenities such as benches, skylights or waterfalls in the public area. A wall of crypts within a mausoleum can be quite tall, and lower-level crypts (at eye level or below) are often more expensive than the less-desirable higher levels. Lakewood Cemetery[SUP][1][/SUP] in Minneapolis offers garden crypts for $3,550-$5,160 for single crypts and $6,100-$9,100 for double crypts; and indoor crypts are $5,000-$9,500 for singles, $9,500-$18,000 for doubles and $20,000-$25,000 for quads (four entombments)
  • Private family mausoleums are smaller, more costly, and may have one to eight crypts, or more. A private mausoleum can be a small horizontal structure just large enough to hold one crypt, or a larger, walk-in building with tall columns and other ornamentation. Basic small one- or two-crypt private mausoleums start between $25,000 and $50,000 and increase depending on location, style, and quality of stone and other materials.
  • Walk-in mausoleums typically start between$200,000 and $500,000 and can cost $1 million or more. Jefferson Memorial Cemetery and Funeral Home in Pennsylvania offers private mausoleums ranging from $37,000 for a simple two-crypt model to $2.5 million for a 12-crypt walk-in mausoleum made of rainbow granite. These include foundation, installation and cemetery site. FamilyMausoleums.net sells one- to six-crypt custom-built granite mausoleums that are shipped and reassembled onsite for $11,000-$160,000, depending on size and style, and including installation but not including the cost of the cemetery site or the required foundation.

When chicky-poo made her pro-aging statement on facebook I did not tell her I was of the opinion she was self-deceiving as so many people do about so many things.

Trying to convince herself of stuff.

Falsely equating making-the-best-of-a-crappy-situation with never-been-better.

I didn't go there.

She actually started to give me a pep talk - trying to get me to join in the lie - because self-deception works better when you can get others to join in - which you often can.

I just let her go on.

You should post some heavy metal on her wall.

When chicky-poo made her pro-aging statement on facebook I did not tell her I was of the opinion she was self-deceiving as so many people do about so many things.

Trying to convince herself of stuff.

Falsely equating making-the-best-of-a-crappy-situation with never-been-better.

I didn't go there.

She actually started to give me a pep talk - trying to get me to join in the lie - because self-deception works better when you can get others to join in - which you often can.

I just let her go on.

I wouldn't say healthier, but I can go with the happier and more peaceful.
People wanting to stay young forever, meh it's a pawn mentality.

I wouldn't say healthier, but I can go with the happier and more peaceful.
People wanting to stay young forever, meh it's a pawn mentality.

Wait until you're Muddy's age and report back.