Aging

• Start date
  • Replies 342 Comments
  • Views 35,328 Views
It is noteworthy to me how there are movies about stuff that happened in my lifetime - which I remember quite clearly - and it's an honest-to-god period piece.

I have been rewatching All The President's Men and - while it would be an exaggeration to say it is like a different world - there is a lot of stuff in there that young people today would see and wonder what it is or not believe it could happen.

Pay phones. Rotary pay phones.

Dude lighting up his cigarettes everywhere without the slightest question if it is okay. Walk into a stranger's home - light up. Elevator - light up.

A big shelf of phone books as an important reference tool.

Or big picture ---> hardcore news guys. Long term investigative journalism with painstaking concern about accuracy.

Yeah that was one of the things I noticed while watching the first two seasons of Seinfeld from 1989 and 1990. Not as old but old enough to make some situations for the characters that wouldn't happen to them today. Smoking in an elevator, dialing your number from a payphone to hear your messages, etc.

The smoking thing is weird to think about. Everyone had ash trays in their house because people would just come in and light up....sit right at the kitchen table and smoke...gross. That's so bizarre to me now. I don't think I own an ash tray now....maybe in Denver, but for the porch only.

I think tap water's gross now. Wont drink it :dunno:
but yeah its crazy how stigmatized smoking has become

The one scene that really makes me smile - because I am old enough to remember the Apollo space program (although I have a stronger memory of Apollo 11; by the time Apollo 13 rolled around I was kinda blase like everyone else) but anyway, I love the scene in the movie Apollo 13 where Houston-we-have-a-problem and the whole control room springs to life in failure-is-not-an-option mode ----> and guys start pulling out their slide rules.

:laugh:

That was in my lifetime. We had not been to the moon yet when I was born. Now it's a period piece.

SlideRuleScenesFromMovieApollo13.jpg

I remember my sister's slide rules. I was on the cusp.

You also could have killed a man with my first calculator. Substantial piece of electronics, that was.

Yap.

The cell phones were some pretty lethal weaponry as well. I remember when this was considered mind-bogglingly futuristic:

15-80s-cell-phones.jpg

My only thoughts on aging, as far as getting old, is that I hope to be happy and healthy in old age. I hope I age well,so far so good. I think my mind will be the first thing to go. I have poor memory as is, as far as forgetting things like my keys or wallet when I leave the house, or forgetting what I was just about to say, etc. little things that, I think will get worse as I age. Other wise, it's not something I give much thought to or fear, because it's inevitable, and I only have so much control over my physical being.

My theory is, enjoy life while you are young and vibrant enough to enjoy, and worry about the rest when the time comes.

no, we have to upload our minds to the internet and exist forever, we can do it !
What if my mind gets hacked and someone gets in there and fucks with it?

The thing is, as I see it, many people - MOST people - don't realize they are going to die.

Like they do - but they don't.

They do. But they really don't.

So? we're not supposed to realize shit until we're dead.
Those people that sit around planning shit for after they're dead seem ridiculous to me

Apart from the obvious human thing that has been going on for so long of creating elaborate, glorious, comforting & convenient afterlifes, I find that people in general - even rational people - approach death like they are going to be sad.

Like they will die and then they will be sitting there thinking, bummer.

I know they know that people who care about them will be sad. I'm not talking about that part.

I'm talking about them. They will be sitting there having died thinking :fok:

I know I am going to die. No loopholes.

I am Captain Fruit and I am the exception.