• Replies 221 Comments
  • Views 10,792 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Listened to a couple radio correspondents phoning from Sochi today. Different tunes being sung.

One was former Hartford Whaler Kevin Dineen, now coach of the Canadian Women's hockey team. His thrust was that things are not like the doom-saying advance reports. He says it's beautiful and being run well and he is looking forward to his family joining him. (Long live the Whale.)

The other was local media dweeb Steve Simmons. He said the whole town is segregated in a disturbing way (i.e. Sochi residents are kept away from the games by fencing.) He said his hotel room is cold, the bed is bad and he can't get enough blankets or a decent pillow. He also said that the water is sometimes clear but sometimes seems like it could be coming from a human. And the restaurant service is very bad.

They are agreed that the weather is very good right now. Too good from the sounds of things. Sunny and well above freezing. Not much snow.

So we'll see how that all plays out.

:dunno:

Former FLYER KEVIN DINEEN FUCKO

214_Kevin_Dineen.jpg

seems like athletes are happy, media foks got treated as an afterthought, which they are. sounds perfect :up:

I just watched the American women DEVASTATE Canadia in the trial game in Minnesota.

Shoot out winna.

There has been a ton of doom and gloom leading into the thing but I find that is always the case with Olympics. So many humans are whiny cockroaches at heart so they stress the drama-queen angles as long as they can - until the actual games start - which are almost always very good - and that ends up being the story - and not much bad happens - so you can't talk about that any more.

Been that way as long as I can remember. Other than Atlanta which seemed like it actually did end up being a pretty fair clusterfuck.

Last night, I liked that Japanese figure skater skating to a Gary Moore tune :up:

Also the snowboarding slope(?) thing looks pretty good. There should be a way to do it just by speed. Maybe there should be some required elements to keep them from minimizing jumps, but no style points.

Anyone here can list me the hockey games schedule for TV? Hopefully all this stuff is live?

It's all live here. I don't know about there. NBC has their longstanding reputation for extreme Olympic goofyness.

Here's a link

That's the full schedule FWIW. Unfortunately I couldn't say what will be happening with US TV.

Looks like all of Canada's preliminary games are at 9 pm local time, meaning they will be happening in the middle of the workday here. Guess I"LL be hanging close to my computer during those. The third one is on a Sunday so that's good.

looking through, seems like the programming sucks. There should be more events than what they're showing, but I still believe they show all the hockey.

looking through, seems like the programming sucks. There should be more events than what they're showing, but I still believe they show all the hockey.

Apparently you're going to be able to watch most things live-streaming that aren't covered on tv, as long as you're a cable/satellite subscriber.

opening ceremony snowflake fail!!!!

:nelson:

Who is Putin gonna throw in the gulag for that snowflake!?

Maybe the US hockey only. They will make sure all of the figure skating gets shown in primetime, that is the ratings champ in the US.

Maybe the US hockey only. They will make sure all of the figure skating gets shown in primetime, that is the ratings champ in the US.

they wouldn't dare. They have 4 channels, past Olympics have shown all the games I believe.