World Cup 2010 Is The Fix On?

Cougar put down the wine for a few minutes pal and switch to water.

Well, I think we could agree on the fact that both teams stand to benefit by playing a tight defensive game. But can that really be called match fixing? It's not their fault Mexico and Uruguay are in this favorable position, the other teams had their chance. Match fixing would be more likely when one team already clinched and the other hasn't.

It's more collusion rather than match fixing but they all come from the same things we'd rather not see in the sport column. Match fixing is generally where the refs and/or players attempt to ensure a specific result for one end (to win bets) but this is a case where it's in the interests of the teams to ensure a specific result (to both progress to the next round). Incidents of collusion happen all the time in the real world whether it's done openly like where OPEC fix the price, or rather restrict the supply, of oil or airlines on low competition routes agree behind closed doors to introduce surcharges. And the reason it's done is because it's really rather profitable.

Cougar put down the wine for a few minutes pal and switch to water.

Not drinking tonight.

I think it does a little, obviously you have much better hair.

Astute observation - it'll be interesting to see where things go once the limits go up

I have a vague memory of two soccer teams in this position literally both staying on their own end of the pitch with a couple players from one team just kicking the ball back and forth unchallenged for like 20 minutes.

Anyone remember that? I think it was a World Cup, otherwise I can't imagine why I would have heard about it.

The problem is it is correct strategy. The teams would be a bit dumb to do anything else. It's like the kneel-down at the end of a football game.

Not great for the fans though (to say the least).

nice write-up polaroid...

I have a vague memory of two soccer teams in this position literally both staying on their own end of the pitch with a couple players from one team just kicking the ball back and forth unchallenged for like 20 minutes.

Anyone remember that? I think it was a World Cup, otherwise I can't imagine why I would have heard about it.

The problem is it is correct strategy. The teams would be a bit dumb to do anything else. It's like the kneel-down at the end of a football game.

back in your lost years you were a huge soccer fan, you just can't remember it. :)

I think I know which one you mean, it was one of the more ludicrous games ever in the World Cup. In anticipation of tomorrow's fix, I'll do a Polaroid Guide To The Best Soccer Fixes - all of which are significantly better than anything that could happen tomorrow.

Have a max bet on the under 1 1H

I'm back in the game tomorrow, boys. Boys let's win some soccer bets. Boys.