• Replies 21 Comments
  • Views 1,930 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
This is probably a dumb/naive question but it earned a lifetime ban at another forum. Polaroid was saying it is the reason there won't be PM's here. (I think it was Polaroid).

Forums openly promote some bookies. But then other bookies are the worst thing that can happen.

I don't need anyone to explain why it is not the brightest thing to place bets with someone from forumland. But if people want to do it - I don't understand why anyone cares.

I know I don't care.

LOL because the forum is promoting gambling and when poster A stiff book poster B it makes them look bad. Also if there Book poster B actually starts taking players away from sponsors it hurts the bottom line of the forum. A lifetime ban at RBS for asking a question..... wow your the real nigga now......

per SBRJohns response, it hurts the bottomline like stated above.
its all about the benjamins

Muddy, you have been banned for life?

I hate it for the fact that it tears apart the social fabric of the forum that it affects. People suddenly start posting differently when their "bookie" is reading, they stop posting to avoid paying debts, they shill for the forum bookie in order to reap rewards, drowning out quality information from more honest posters. It's a chain reaction once your bookie is a part of your social sphere, especially when so many posters are also brokesters. It has nothing to do with business, it's a matter of learning not to mix business with pleasure. If you enjoy a particular forum you don't want a bookie operating on it because suddenly he becomes one of the apices of your social pyramid.

Muddy, you have been banned for life?

No, I chose my words poorly. What I meant was that booking caused a supposed lifetime ban, not me asking the question .

I should never post before at least 3 coffees.

Muddy, please perform and record a song for us about your thoughts on forum booking. I'd like that.

Also if there Book poster B actually starts taking players away from sponsors it hurts the bottom line of the forum.

This logic could apply to lots of things that happen on forums. At any given time there are dozens of agendas that involve attracting players to non-sponsors.

I'm not saying you're incorrect with your answer just that I see holes in the logic.

I like that sig Bread. Sounds a little familiar...

Ohhh...you just threw some Bad Brains out there. Niceeeeeeeee.

I hate it for the fact that it tears apart the social fabric of the forum that it affects. People suddenly start posting differently when their "bookie" is reading, they stop posting to avoid paying debts, they shill for the forum bookie in order to reap rewards, drowning out quality information from more honest posters. It's a chain reaction once your bookie is a part of your social sphere, especially when so many posters are also brokesters. It has nothing to do with business, it's a matter of learning not to mix business with pleasure. If you enjoy a particular forum you don't want a bookie operating on it because suddenly he becomes one of the apices of your social pyramid.

Yeah. I guess I don't have quite as Utopian a view of forums as that. For me, forums are (this forum aside) 98% crap anyway so whatever negative influence a poster/bookie might create basically amounts to spitting in the ocean. I would think, with the way so many people love forum drama, that kind of stuff would be considered a boon.

The fact is, there are bookies operating on the forums, lots of them, with or without posters doing it. There is stiffing and scamming and beefing and shilling regardless. I don't see the difference.

Muddy, please perform and record a song for us about your thoughts on forum booking. I'd like that.

I have been meaning to do that but keep getting side-tracked by curling.

This is probably a dumb/naive question but it earned a lifetime ban at another forum. Polaroid was saying it is the reason there won't be PM's here. (I think it was Polaroid).

Thanks for dragging me into this car crash of a thread.

If you were talking about here, we're probably not going to have PMs because of the potential for abuse whether it be from spam or people wanting to book - the only way to combat that is to install the PM hack but then private messages would cease to be private. In short we don't want to see people being ripped off by other people here, at least not in private. If you're talking about other sites then I'm sure that the bottom line rules over everything else.

I always thought it was a legal issue for some reason. Like the feds could shut down the forum or something if they found out non-off-shore sports betting was occurring......

I always thought it was a legal issue for some reason. Like the feds could shut down the forum or something if they found out non-off-shore sports betting was occurring......

I think that would only be an issue for a forum that currently operates in a legal grey area, like RBS. They already promote illegal offshore books and profit off them while operating (perhaps not anymore) with a location in U.S. jurisdiction; to allow a forum bookie to take action via their PMs might be enough to get the Feds interested in them. For a forum like GL I doubt law enforcement would have any interest in spanking them for allowing a bookie to operate within their infrastructure. It all depends on how much you have to lose.

Check out the big brains on this guy, dayamn