What would you tell your 20 year old self?

• Start date
  • Replies 183 Comments
  • Views 9,135 Views
half the ideas here were about picking stocks before they hit....etc.

my advice to people is always to study hard. If I ever get divorced and marry a girl willing to have my kids...on my deathbed I will tell them to make money or marry money...Life has so many f'd up problems that you don't control, you might as well stay ahead of the curve in one area you can somewhat control.

So you guys are saying I should do what I enjoy for less money....I seriously can't do what is enjoyable and put meals on the table in Hawaii..... move to Tennessee and never see my family except once a year?

That doesn't seem like a good life to me. pretty SOL if you ask me.

what is the answer? More $

Budgeting is a great idea guys....but if you are asking me, would I rather eat ramen noodles everyday as a teacher, or have studied harder for a more financially stable career and eat actual meals....i'll take the latter all day long
Maybe I just don't understand how high the cost of living is there. I just think there has to be a happy medium....Shdw you always make it sound like you are barely getting by, but seems you are going to NY or Vegas every time I turn around. I can't believe with your wife's income you couldn't make a decent life as a teacher...especially with no kids. ...but again, maybe I don't understand how expensive it is there. I know food is expensive.

half the ideas here were about picking stocks before they hit....etc.

my advice to people is always to study hard. If I ever get divorced and marry a girl willing to have my kids...on my deathbed I will tell them to make money or marry money...Life has so many f'd up problems that you don't control, you might as well stay ahead of the curve in one area you can somewhat control.

You got 4 months before my niece says "I do."

Wow Shdw...doing some research....even with salaries at 48-81k lots of stories reiterating what you have been saying...that sucks..and I know you can't/won't leave there....maybe you could teach some accounting classes once or twice a week at a community college or something to supplement...or did you want to work with kids?

http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/2...many-teachers-bail-on-hawaiis-public-schools/

Must be more expensive in Hawaii like IAG said! Plus you say you have too many relatives to see there! I have no suggestions on what you should do! Studying hard to get a good paying job is solid advice for sure!

Shadow, how old are you?

Embrace Miller Lite for the perfection that is, no need to dabble with others it's you and ML for life pal.

So you guys are saying I should do what I enjoy for less money....I seriously can't do what is enjoyable and put meals on the table in Hawaii..... move to Tennessee and never see my family except once a year?

That doesn't seem like a good life to me. pretty SOL if you ask me.

what is the answer? More $

Budgeting is a great idea guys....but if you are asking me, would I rather eat ramen noodles everyday as a teacher, or have studied harder for a more financially stable career and eat actual meals....i'll take the latter all day long

Shdw - remember the only people who say money isn't everything are people who have/had money. Never heard poor people say it.

Embrace Miller Lite for the perfection that is, no need to dabble with others it's you and ML for life pal.

+1 I'm aiming slightly higher than ML but I agree!

q0TAYXb.jpg

Shdw - remember the only people who say money isn't everything are people who have/had money. Never heard poor people say it.

Fair enough but doesn't mean it's not true.

IAG, where's the niece's wedding going to be?

Incidently not saying poor is better obviouslym but studies have shown that there is an amount needed to cover basic needs and then some and after that there is no proportionate increased happiness tied to more money beyond that. I'm not proofreading that. I hope it made sense. I'll try to find the study. If you have to stress paying the mortgage obviously money is essential...I'm just saying that having 10 million dollars is not necessarily going to make you happier than having $500,000...or whatever the magic number is.

IAG, where's the niece's wedding going to be?
Minneapolis.....Shdw always joked about leaving his wife for her...she's a teacher btw!

IAG
You got 4 months before my niece says "I do."

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....iag you better say something when they ask for any reason these two should not be married.

IAG
Minneapolis.....Shdw always joked about leaving his wife for her...she's a teacher btw!

actually you tried to set me up with her first.....but teacher is just bonus points in my book