What would you tell your 20 year old self?

• Start date
  • Replies 183 Comments
  • Views 9,307 Views
Hate to break it to you iag...but 99% of us live in that lower threshold or below. I think my advice of striving for the almighty dollar can be used for pretty much everyone.
You don't know what the threshold is....Obviously I was using millions of dollars for simplicity. Your response proved my point. I don't get your argument here.

If the ultimate goal was more money, you would not have sacrificed the 20 million dollars over 40 years.

IAG
You don't know what the threshold is....Obviously I was using millions of dollars for simplicity. Your response proved my point. I don't get your argument here.

I stand by my advice....get a job paying the most money. it is the most important thing in career choices and is the key to happiness.

(everyone can find a way to be unhappy....but it is damn hard to do it without money)

that is my argument....

are you happy shdw?

are you happy shdw?

No one is happy all the time, it's just not possible.

If you are seeking happiness and expect it to be 100% you will be disappointed.

Contentment is what we should strive for, sprinkled with a little happiness.

I am not happy or unhappy. I am content with whatever happens. I've gone from rags to almost riches back to rags and none of the situations made me happy, because "things" can't make/keep you happy for more than a little while. People, family/friends/relationships can keep you happy longer.

Shdw...didn't you say this earlier?
"if we change it to say $1.5M/ yr vs. $2.0M/yr, then I probably take the lower amount and do something more rewarding (to me) "

That does not support the take the job with the most money argument.

No one is happy all the time, it's just not possible.

If you are seeking happiness and expect it to be 100% you will be disappointed.

Contentment is what we should strive for, sprinkled with a little happiness.

I am not happy or unhappy. I am content with whatever happens. I've gone from rags to almost riches back to rags and none of the situations made me happy, because "things" can't make/keep you happy for more than a little while. People, family/friends/relationships can keep you happy longer.

Amen brother!!!!!

are you happy shdw?

I think I live a pretty good life. If I had more money I would be infinitely happier. My wife wouldn't work 2 jobs, we might try for children, I wouldn't have to worry about bills, etc.

IAG
Shdw...didn't you say this earlier?
"if we change it to say $1.5M/ yr vs. $2.0M/yr, then I probably take the lower amount and do something more rewarding (to me) "

That does not support the take the job with the most money argument.

I don't want to argue about this anymore.

I agree family is most important.

I also firmly believe money rules the world. No one can change my mind about this. Now or in 15 years.

My family wasn't rich....grew up renting an apartment with mom and dad. They had little....argued a lot...but spent whatever money we had on stuff to make our lives more fun. I was lucky my parents sacrificed everything for me. Things, schooling, food, clothing, etc. They always had to share a car but still bought one for me when I became of age. We were a happy family and I'm sure they are satisfied with how everything played out but I am 100% sure if they could go down another path earning them more money over their careers they would do it in a heartbeat.

I don't have any thoughts on this.

I think I live a pretty good life. If I had more money I would be infinitely happier. My wife wouldn't work 2 jobs, we might try for children, I wouldn't have to worry about bills, etc.

I don't care much for work anymore. I wouldn't mind an 8 hour a day gig but as someone who has worked mostly as a driver of commercial vehicles in the construction/transportation fields 8 hour days are rare, it's usually 10 -14 hours a day which is just too much.

I don't feel like working that many hours a day and probably won't. I'm burnt out from years of doing it and not "getting ahead".

I know I can be content with less money and more time for myself. My goal nowadays is long term disability, combined with subsidized housing of course.

I really seem to enjoy lots of leisure time.

:chickendance:

I'm not sure what the argument is. Doesn't everyone go for the best-paying option, within their skillset/field of interest?

Shdewey01 re you saying you regret not being directed towards the highest-paid professions/fields from a really young age?

Did you not know what you were getting into when you started studying whatever it is you studied?

I'm not following.

We can't all be hedge fund managers.

plommer -

i agree with what you said.

maybe it has to do with my definition of happiness.

we all want - money cures the want.

but if we take care of what we need - physically, mentally, etc - you will be happy.

gotcha.

what can you do on your end to change your situation? is it education, field?

I don't want to argue about this anymore.

I agree family is most important.

I also firmly believe money rules the world. No one can change my mind about this. Now or in 15 years.

My family wasn't rich....grew up renting an apartment with mom and dad. They had little....argued a lot...but spent whatever money we had on stuff to make our lives more fun. I was lucky my parents sacrificed everything for me. Things, schooling, food, clothing, etc. They always had to share a car but still bought one for me when I became of age. We were a happy family and I'm sure they are satisfied with how everything played out but I am 100% sure if they could go down another path earning them more money over their careers they would do it in a heartbeat.

Not saying money isn't important...I just think that people who have never been exposed to it have some artificial inflated view of how much happier it will make them.

What's that book.."Do what you love and the money will follow?" It sounds like you had a happy upbringing. I swear you are the happiest discontent person I know. Ok....back on topic..

Don't get that 1989 perm IAG

plommer -

i agree with what you said.

maybe it has to do with my definition of happiness.

we all want - money cures the want.

but if we take care of what we need - physically, mentally, etc - you will be happy.

Disagree that money cures the want. Money satisfies the want for a brief period, then the want becomes larger - like building up a tolerance the same way a drug user (or gambler) does.

I started betting $2 at the track years ago. $2 to win does nothing for me. If I make a score of $10k at the track I feel great - I know this because I've made more than a few hits of $10k or more in the last 10 years. But a win only creates desire to win again. Same with money.

Why do billionaires keep investing and wanting more? It's like a disease. Greed is not good, it's sickness. Socially accepted sickness.

IAG
Not saying money isn't important...I just think that people who have never been exposed to it have some artificial inflated view of how much happier it will make them.

What's that book.."Do what you love and the money will follow?"

sounds like the dumbest book I ever heard of....well second behind andy's book on sheep love.

iag, you ask any person in the world who has had money and hasn't had money i'm sure they will tell you they were happier with money.....how much happier depends on the person and levels of money....but money = happiness (or at least greater chance of such)