talk to me about Facebook

• Start date
  • Replies 1,820 Comments
  • Views 152,993 Views
Here is my latest observation about facebook. It has gotten completely bold about basically saying through it's actions: we are spying on you.

What I mean is, lately it has been showing me ads for exact stuff I have googled - both at home and work. Like one evening Jenny and I are talking about a problem she is having with her Keurig coffee maker - so I google to see if anyone else is discussing that problem ---> next day the exact model is there in my facebook spam.

Same with work. I google for warranty info on a few of our products ---> next thing I know, they are showing up one after another on my facebook.

I hardly ever even look at facebook at work. Maybe once every couple weeks on average? But it's clearly in there.

I feel like it was more subtle about things for a long time, showing me quasi-related stuff. Now it's just like, YES WE ARE STALKING YOU.

Whenever someone posts something where it tries to use psychology to get me to repost it - like it says, 99% of people won't be brave enough to repost this but 1% will . . .

even if I think it is an excellent cause or thought, I absolutely would never repost it.

Even if they aren't as obviously manipulative as that with the braveness angle and they take a more measured tone ---> still no.

Here is one from today. Wonderful thought which I fully support in principle. But I just will not repost stuff like this

429894_311590145555145_194570241_n.jpg

You can buy a new home with a VA loan no money down and if the VA has deemed you disabled for PTSD or an other reason they will waive the Funding Fee.

Call Bacon, that new home is closer than you think.

what bout the gf that somehow thinks its her right to get on the bf page via iphone and post selfies of herself
without the consent of aforementioned bf that rather stay in the shadows.. if ya will having no desire to desire attention anywhere, anyhow.
feel no need to post pics of myself constantly to seek attention or have ego stroked with a few likes. :lolz:

stay hell off my page , no need be marking territory through interwebs right:chickendance:

I google for warranty info on a few of our products ---> next thing I know, they are showing up one after another on my facebook.

I would add that it is NOT showing me these products as sold by my company - it is showing how you can get them at Staples, our diabolical competition which has such ridiculously low prices (but no service - but of course the low prices rule) that it threatens the very future of my job.

I would add that it is NOT showing me these products as sold by my company - it is showing how you can get them at Staples, our diabolical competition which has such ridiculously low prices (but no service - but of course the low prices rule) that it threatens the very future of my job.

That's call cookie re-targeting and the data is open to pretty much anyone that wants to advertise on the ad networks that feature it, both Google and FB ads has it. Google is the much worse offender since they have so much search data from you.

That's call cookie re-targeting...

If you had asked me twenty years ago if we would be using the tech term "cookie re-targeting" in the future, I would have bet pretty heavily against it.

Whenever someone posts something where it tries to use psychology to get me to repost it - like it says, 99% of people won't be brave enough to repost this but 1% will . . .

even if I think it is an excellent cause or thought, I absolutely would never repost it.

Even if they aren't as obviously manipulative as that with the braveness angle and they take a more measured tone ---> still no.

Here is one from today. Wonderful thought which I fully support in principle. But I just will not repost stuff like this

429894_311590145555145_194570241_n.jpg
Agreed. I hate those. ...reminds me of a chain letter.

It is a chain letter. The favorite form of e-entertainment for the 55+ crowd.

"lost their battle with PTSD"

what the hell that suppose to mean? actually die from PTSD? heart attack from all the anxiety :endoftheworld:

Suicide would be my guess.

Yes, for example more soldiers from the Iraq War have died from suicide than actual combat. No joke.

So I get a friend request and I never heard of ya but then within a few days I see you are a friend of a good friend of mine. So Okay. I accept the request.

Almost immediately from my new friend, this.

1378745_253419341471884_475019723_n.jpg

Do you feel like you're making sense right now?

At least the mom in the pic has a decent ass.

:handshake:

1688773_10203423028680802_4134014061676350220_n.jpg

My youngest daughter with some Falcons players and cheerleaders at the grocery store.