MonkeyF0cker

Mean People Suck
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
IOC to investigate Canadian women's hockey team for celebration
By Chris Chase

The International Olympic Committee will investigate the actions of Canadian women's hockey players who celebrated their gold medal victory Thursday night by swigging beer and smoking cigars on the ice in Vancouver.

A number of players, including 18-year-old superstar Marie-Philip Poulin, were drinking alcohol on the ice following the team's 2-0 defeat of the United States. (The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19.) Players lingered for more than 70 minutes after the awards ceremony reveling in the arena, which was empty except for media and arena staff. (Click here to view a slideshow of the celebration.)

ept_sports_oly_experts-306746341-1267164115.jpg

Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said that drinking in public was "not what we want to see" from athletes at an Olympic venue. The organization will investigate the actions and will speak with the international hockey federation and Canadian Olympic Committee and ask them to "act accordingly."

Steve Keough, a spokesman for the Canadian Olympic Committee, told the Associated Press, “We condone celebrations. … We don’t condone actions of irresponsibility. I think Canadians understand it’s quite an emotional moment for our team. It was not our intention to go against any IOC protocols.”

To be sure, the Canadian women's hockey team should have acted with more class and been a little more discreet with its celebration. But to do something drastic like ban the team from the Closing Ceremony or force them out of the Olympic Village would be an overreaction. In past Olympics we've seen steroids, political boycotts, cheating and judging scandals. A few puffs of a cigar hardly seems to be in the same league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/va...-Canadian-women-s-hockey-team-?urn=oly,224338

What exactly are they going to do to these girls? Are they going to take away their medals? Let the girls have their fun!

And this is the same ice the men skate on today? What is wrong with these idiots? I could see them perhaps doing this if no other games were to be played.

There was no space leftover in the locker room, what with all the dresses, babies, tampons and makeup.

It makes sense now, they were forced to party on the ice.

You can't pull crap like this at the Olympics. What's next? Hookas on ice and shrooms?

Ah just posted about this. I love it! I would've gone down and partied with them :)

And this is the same ice the men skate on today? What is wrong with these idiots? I could see them perhaps doing this if no other games were to be played.

I don't see the big deal really.....

Maybe they were smoking some of that world renowned B.C. bud and their judgement was clouded in smoke.

Fuck it, like Amby said, let them have their fun. It's not the first time we've seen underage Canadian players drinking beer or champagne after a HUGE win. Happens all the time in the world juniors.

I don't see the big deal really.....

Same here. no other games were being played. No different then men constantly spitting on the ice or a golaie using his water bottle to drin k out of and spray himself down.

Everyone just take a deep breath and remember this is only hockey, and carry on with your day.

Everyone just take a deep breath and remember this is only hockey, and carry on with your day.

Only Hockey?! That's an oxymoron in and of itself chief!

Hockey is God!

Marie-Philip Poulin is an 18 year old frenchie from Quebec. Drinking age in Quebec is 18. No biggie.

Next up Slovaks and then hopefully the U.S.

I think the drinking issue could have been better conceived with alittle making out session! Maybe even alittle tongue for their bastard children, the Frenchies! Matty, not you, all you have is a speech impairment :propeller:

I think the drinking issue could have been better conceived with alittle making out session! Maybe even alittle tongue for their bastard children, the Frenchies! Matty, not you, all you have is a speech impairment :propeller:

Very good point