Stevek Poker Thread established 5.20.2023

• Start date
  • Replies 140 Comments
  • Views 2,982 Views
I know I'm throwing a lot at you, but I'll say one more thing; in addition to tilt, your biggest problem from what I've read seems to be mindset. You think in absolutes like "I called with aces and was wrong so that was a mistake adding to the mistake roll." That isn't how winning players think about the game.

Guys like Polk or Galfond or whoever would look at the pot odds, say 110 to win 220, so getting 2-to-1 on a call. This means their hand has to be good 33% of the time to break even. Then they would consider what range of hands they could have in this spot that would have played the way they did to get to the river. Then they'd consider what range of hands their opponent could have; value hands, bluffs, etc. that would have played this way. They'd weigh all of that and determine if their hand should be good 33% of the time or better. If it is, they call. If it isn't, they fold.

And then it doesn't even matter what they other guy has. If he has us beat 60% of the time and this is one of them, we still made a profitable call. If you make the right math decision every time, you win long run. If you don't, you lose.

Yesterday 5 hours -$164

Some run bad as our set and overs get busted on the big hands. Glad we were short stacking or it would've been worse.

Utd:
109.5 hours
-$1,060
-$9.68 $/hr

Question for Brother Dave:

If you have a small to mid pocket pair i.e. 22-88 and there are no raisers before you, do you raise? Even with a short stack?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but figured I'd ask.

If so, what would you bring it to shortstacked at 1/3? This guy is talking 2x the buy in, I think that's too light for me....standard opening raise for me is $10-$20.

I did end up purchasing that automatic poker academy course, it's alright. Nothing mind blowing but he has some good charts and stuff.

Last edited:
Question for Brother Dave:

If you have a small to mid pocket pair i.e. 22-88 and there are no raisers before you, do you raise? Even with a short stack?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but figured I'd ask.

If so, what would you bring it to shortstacked at 1/3? This guy is talking 2x the buy in, I think that's too light for me....standard opening raise for me is $10-$20.
You can't improve if you are set in your ways Stevey. You should be studying and trying to understand why the expert is right, not thinking "my way is better".

And yes, he's right, 2-2.5x (~$6-$8) is correct. $10 may be okay, but open raising to $15-$20 with marginal hands like 22-88 is really really bad.

Tonight 4.5 hours +$302, all shortstacking. The losing streak is OVER! As usual poker guru Dave was right and this good player called my AK all in very light with A7 sooted for my first double up.

Correction from last night as it was 4 hours, not 5.

Good day all around, thankful.

For kicks and giggles we'll keep track of stats since adapting to shortstacking separately.

Upd:

113 hours
-$758
-$6.71/hr

Shortstacking
8.5 hours
+$138
+$16.24/hr

:cheers:

Our long term plan is this, let's get things going in the right direction with short stacking then if/when when we hit a $20k bankroll give Doug Polk/Upswing a shot in hopes of being one of those very successful aggressive players that I always see with huge stacks.

Do I miss those $1k+ pots? Sure as heck I do. So exhilarating. And sure I can still hit some with a few double ups.

I said to myself if there is a maniac at the table going to make sure I have as big a stack as them, but shit fuck that because as many have said the game has changed and my old school, tight strategy I've used for so long is way too predictable, especially when you're playing against many of the same people over and over. Many of them laugh and snap fold if I reraise with a full stack because as one said out loud "he always has it."

Things were going south and I've worked hard to achieve stability and I won't be he in any way coming close to losing any of that.

We are at $12, 400 now, with newfound actual adult financial responsibilities at the proud age of 47.

Let's see what we can do.

We take a breather tonight as we need to rest and recharge for Fri, sat and probably sunday, when the fish are out.

And....NO MORE TILT..

Last edited:
6 hours 45 minutes
+$531

Upd.
119 hours 45 minutes
-$227
-$1.90

Shortstacking:
15.25 hours
$669
+$43.87/hr

A little annoyed since we were steamed up over $750, but anything over $500 feels noice.

Question for Amish Dave:

Do you ever limp with monsters (i.e. AA, KK and QQ) hoping for a raise so you can repop? I do it all the time and when everyone limps it makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Question for Amish Dave:

Do you ever limp with monsters (i.e. AA, KK and QQ) hoping for a raise so you can repop? I do it all the time and when everyone limps it makes me want to punch myself in the face.
No. Raise every time. No reason to get cute at those stakes.

Besides, you'd literally never do this with any bluffs, right? So since you aren't balancing your range you'd basically be turning your hand face up as a monster. Especially with your super tight image.

Anyone decent would know to fold and youd win minimum. Whereas with a standard raise you can have a wide range of hands.

.11 hours
-$349

Card dead and lost one buy in doing a stupid move. I decided that if I was new to a table full of people that don't know me, in late position with a marginal hand and everyone limps to shove all in and show them a low card, so that they think I'm one of those people that just comes there to gamble. Ummm....yeah, bad call when a nit picks you off with jacks. Never again.Theyre already calling light with my shortstack, so what's the point. There was zero tilt.

Utd:

130.75 hrs
-$576
-&4.41/hr

Shortstacking:

26.25 hours
+$320
$12.19/hr

Long term thinking about bringing things back to Cleveland. Out there, despite my nitty ways I was labeled a very admirable shark and the cool good players wanted to set me up with and appropriate woman, asking me who I like, etc., then I picked one, she flirted and I changed my mind. Incredible dealer Jess always said she liked me and actually seemed serious. So incredible I decided she wasn't. Shortly after that my roommate, a big tough guy always talking about fucking people up started using psychotic scare tactics to bully me. This guy pulled a gun on kids. I have like 20 beers, get that liquid courage and decide time to take him both for myself and the children. He charges at me, I dart into my room. I sober up and realize he might actually really fuck me up so I ditch the rental l, go on a bender in a hotel, get obnoxious with Tosh like humor (people laughed at first, so I kept going) to the point where someone calls the police, then since I had the Pa warrant it was extradition to there and a little jail.

All that ain't happening again for obvious reasons, and of course no warrant now.

After some time and working on qualifications will probably shop for a mortgage job out there and a place of my own, in the meantime as prior mentioned we aggressively pursue a solo place out here.

Debating Ubering to Live today. Bottom level is 1/3 there, less familiar faces, etc. Have felt real scattered brained lately for obvious reasons (lack of sleep, the roomie) so might lay off and study poker stuff, adult, etc.

But enough about me. How YOU DOIN?

PS and by "take him" I didn't mean hurt the piece of shit, I meant a stern warning about jail time, etc. Plus, those kids started with him, not that that that makes his behavior in any way acceptable. Bad call.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Marine Band Harmonica in the key of C.

The reasons why:

First off and most importantly, Teela said I sound good.

Second off I was shredding in South outside of a bar, and all in one night some dude gives me money and wants to start a band (I could tell he was legit), a gorgeous girl says I sound great then really has to pee, then I make a deal with this dude that if I can rip I get his beer. The deal was a win/win. I think they said I sound good singing too which I don't agree on. Some other guy another bar gave me $20 when I was singing outside of a bar so I'm not sure which it was for, but we did make bank there.

Al in Willow, a great bass player I jammed with told me that he really thought I had what it takes to be a great lead singer/writer as he tried to make me a better guitar player.

Now when I moved in here this cool guy invited me to a get together on the rooftop. How cool would ripping at one of those before I leave be?

Now, when I go card dead for two hours, what would be cooler then doing that at the bar and then be like "gotta run guys, got cards to see"?

How's THAT for a strong finish?

Let's get back to music and comedy and less poker until I'm better at poker. We'll start there, ordering comedy for dummies now.

That almost wipes out this weekend's poker profits, but shit I still got my bread and butter day job. That's just gravy.

Wrong thread but we touched on poker so I'll leave it.

Last edited:
Lost like $250 last time I was there. Life tilt, some bad luck, etc. Will update tomorrow.

Dave, any thoughts on me transitioning to online? Shortstacking 1/3? What are the best sites? I did Pokerstarspa last time and it was alright. I've heard Global is good.

Last edited:
Lost like $250 last time I was there. Life tilt, some bad luck, etc. Will update tomorrow.

Dave, any thoughts on me transitioning to online? Shortstacking 1/3? What are the best sites? I did Pokerstarspa last time and it was alright. I've heard Global is good.
Online is much, much, much harder than live. You will get crushed at 1/2. I'd get crushed at 1/2. It's the equivalent of like 5/10 or better in live poker.

I know you'll do it anyway, but it's a bad idea. Those regs are all using preflop charts and studying GTO. You'll lose and then feel like blaming online poker for being rigged, etc.

Especially with everything going on in your life right now, I would very strongly recommend against this. If you ignore this advice, at least set a weekly or monthly budget to minimize the damage.

No. Raise every time. No reason to get cute at those stakes.

Besides, you'd literally never do this with any bluffs, right? So since you aren't balancing your range you'd basically be turning your hand face up as a monster. Especially with your super tight image.

Anyone decent would know to fold and youd win minimum. Whereas with a standard raise you can have a wide range of hands.
I regularly do this (limp in EP knowing I’ll get raised by the one or two maniacs at the table) once a session and the results have been stellar.

BUT, I do this in Las Vegas where people are playing with me for the first time.

I regularly do this (limp in EP knowing I’ll get raised by the one or two maniacs at the table) once a session and the results have been stellar.

BUT, I do this in Las Vegas where people are playing with me for the first time.
Yeah, I've done it too in the past, it's definitely table and situation dependent. Was more responding to Steves situation where he's a known nit.

Still, I think it's almost always better to put in a small raise. Limp then reraise just sets off so many alarm bells. And those aggro players should be just as likely to put in a raise vs a small raise as they are vs a limp.

I actually love limping marginal hands UTG, ie 98ss. People often think "he's trapping with aces" and let me see a flop for free. Or I can see a cheap flop vs one raise and have an easy fold vs two raises.