Planning ones own funeral

• Start date
  • Replies 43 Comments
  • Views 1,662 Views
Having a will is overrated. It's the rust proofing of the legal world. Intestate succession is good for 99% of decedents.

Living wills/dnrs/durable poas are useful to have tho.

Having a will is overrated. It's the rust proofing of the legal world. Intestate succession is good for 99% of decedents.

I'll disagree about the wills being overrated.

I'm in the 1% since I don't have kids, and if you die intestate isn't it a big hassle to go thru probate also?

Also disagreeing with the 1% figure ftr...lots of different circumstances that would warrant a will rather than simply relying on the laws of succession of the state.

In Casper's case, yeah he'd be fine.

Last edited:
Boner-serious question...what happens to personal property (non liquid assets) if you die intestate? Does the probate administrator sell everything and divide equally assuming multiple beneficiaries, or do they somehow try to divvy it up? It would seem they would want to let famiy keep certain items i.e., jewelry or special heirlooms, but seems like that would be a real PITA to do.

I also assume the probate court gets paid out of the estate. What percentage do they take?

My will is easy. Wife takes all if she outlives me.

Best thing about being poor is I don't need a will.

I doubt anybody wants my collection of Red Sox hats or the bulk of condoms that sit unused in my duffel bag.

That's quasi-related to my lack of real intensity about my mum's funeral music program.

It's like, if I don't pull it together exactly right at the time, who's going to know?

Crappy way to think, I know, but I'll be dead soon enough too.