Oksaaaaaaaay! - Thunder Bay Winter Wonderland

• Start date
  • Replies 83 Comments
  • Views 8,018 Views
It's the same for me and my home town.

I think its the same for alot of people that have left "home" for someplace else.

I know its very emotional for Oksana watching those vids, I understand that most if not all of her relatives are gone but I wonder why she can't connect with old childhood friends?

nah sweetpea, you didn't traumatise me at all... i'm just really proud of where i came from and sometimes you need a reminder. i've lived in so many places since then but i'm from thunder bay. my voice is fucked, my son will live in 60 places before there but that place will always be me. every time you go through there, think of oksy because i promise somehow i've been where you are. such a shithole but it's my shithole. fuck that place is trying to draw me back but i sadly can't do it again.

big change though - i used to giggle at those who'd never leave. now i understand why they didnt. guess i'm getting old.

I love Canada pal, alot! Thunder Bay is so very Canadian, I have never been able to drive by on my way to wherever I was going, I always stop and spend a day or two.

I do think of you everytime I'm there ever since I found out its your hometown.
I always will, you're the only person I know from there, well you and the old Italian that owns the Mr Perogy that is!

Last edited:
I think its the same for alot of people that have left "home" for someplace else.

I know its very emotional for Oksana watching those vids, I understand that most if not all of her relatives are gone but I wonder why she can't connect with old childhood friends?

I definitely can understand why she wouldn't...

What's the point? Just to say hi? Then what?

There's a reason that you lose touch with people. They might play an important role in your life growing up (which is great), but your life (along with theirs) becomes something different as you get older. Keeping in touch just for the sake of keeping a small-talk, part time, long distance friendship in tact is sort of pointless.

It's the same for me and my home town.

yeah i kind of thought so... there's north and then there's north... very different between the min/wisc/canucks and the rest who get a fluff of snow. For whatever reason, the mentality is all the same in one and completely different in the other.

I definitely can understand why she wouldn't...

What's the point? Just to say hi? Then what?

There's a reason that you lose touch with people. They might play an important role in your life growing up (which is great), but your life (along with theirs) becomes something different as you get older. Keeping in touch just for the sake of keeping a small-talk, part time, long distance friendship in tact is sort of pointless.

I mean friends, not acquaintances. I still keep in touch with a few of my old highschool buddies from Toronto. We will always be friends, well hopefully anyway.

F0cker you're saying you don't have any contact with friends from your younger days back home?
Zero?

If that were the case with me it would make me sad.

I mean friends, not acquaintances. I still keep in touch with a few of my old highschool buddies from Toronto. We will always be friends, well hopefully anyway.

F0cker you're saying you don't have any contact with friends from your younger days back home?

Very rarely. Pretty much only when they visit Vegas. I haven't been back to my home town in about 8 years. The last time I was there was for the funeral of one of my friends actually.

My parents don't live there any more and I really don't have a good reason to go back there. Most of my friends from high school still live in the area, are married, and have kids. I don't have a lot to talk to them about except things we've already experienced growing up. We don't have a lot in common in our current lives.

Quite a few of my childhood buddies are fuckups like myself, we keep in touch to compare notes every few years. lol

My dad immigrated to Canada from Italy in the 50's, he was 16 when he arrived, Toronto has been his home for most of his life. My mother and her mother were born in Toronto, as was I. All my relatives on my mothers side were born in died in the Toronto area. My ties to the city are strong, it will always be home for me, whether I live there or not. I know how Oksy feels about her hometown.

Plommy, there's not much I really have to say most of them any more even though we keep in touch on facebook. My life is very different to theirs. To my friends who have moved away - even to T.O. - it makes more sense. To my friends who stayed in Thunder Bay and are like ummm your mum was a shrink and your dad was a lawyer and you could've just been whatever and did what they did, it's always a bit awkward. To them it's all about why do you care about travelling, hushed tones about the kid, why didn't you just take over one of your parent's practices so you'd be like kinda like rich for like ever. Things always look more pleasant or whatever from the outside, right? People who are my friends now, are my friends. But they don't live in tbay. The people who still live there are focused on stuff I can't even fathom. No disrespect to them.... it's just not me.

I'll go back to tbay with dude. Hopefully i can grab a few people along and we'll have a blast at our cottage without anyone knowing i'm in town. In and out. Hat on my head and just do my thing and show the man where his roots are.

Oh and I should say - that shows you the sophistication when anyone thinks a tbay lawyer or psych could be rich. ummm no.

Oksy, I hear you pal, loud and clear.

I'm looking forward to my next visit to your fine hometown.

:betplom:

Quite a few of my childhood buddies are fuckups like myself, we keep in touch to compare notes every few years. lol

LOL.

I guess I just feel like that part of my life is over and I've let it go more than anything.

I've lost touch with a lot of friends. Maybe college did it to me. I lost touch with most of my high school friends even in college. Then I lost touch with a bunch of college friends after graduating. I guess I've never given it much thought. But such seems to be the cycle of friendship (for me at least). I've never made much of an effort to keep long distance friendships alive. It just seems to erode to meaningless small talk when you really don't have an opportunity to hang out with them any more.

However, if an old friend of mine were to get in touch with me and said that they were coming to town, I'd certainly meet up with them and I'm sure we'd have a great time.

life is so fucking strange.

beyond

i'm going to be 37 in a couple of weeks and there's this little shithole of a town that still has all of my heart stuck there. everything. all the places i've lived, everything i've seen, and that one fucking ditch always tries to suck me back in. i can remember everything. i could give plommy directions to my house from any spot in thunder bay and i haven't been there in 10 yrs. and tell him so many stupid stories of that whole place. and i know if i wanted to be a dramatic biatch, i could get off of the plane, freshen up a bit and head to the keg and shock the shit out of 50 people which by the time they were done, word would spread amongst a big crew that i was home. It's one of those things that unless you're from a small town it just doesn't make sense. It's a black hole. And I've ran from that joint from the minute my mom died but you can never really get that far away i guess no matter where you go. :sad:

i would agree that staying away from black holes is a good idea :yes: ... plommay might have a different opinion

Gone out with two chicks from T bay...... not going there again. I think there is something in the water. Glad Oksy got out while she could.