Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,106 Views
It was mesmerizing. I watched the whole thing twice.

I guess making five great hours of something is a wee bit easier than making five solid seasons of the same.

I've been completely indifferent to Meryl Streep all my life. I've seen a handful of her later movies, none of which left me with the impression that she was anything special.

Anyway, her role in Big Little Lies S2 is finally bringing me onto the Streep bandwagon. The way she delivers those stingy little jabs is killer.

Meryl Streep. She can act. :greencheck:

I've been completely indifferent to Meryl Streep all my life. I've seen a handful of her later movies, none of which left me with the impression that she was anything special.

Anyway, her role in Big Little Lies S2 is finally bringing me onto the Streep bandwagon. The way she delivers those stingy little jabs is killer.

Meryl Streep. She can act. :greencheck:

Pretty little liar or is that different one?

Different show. Big Little Lies is an HBO thing, excellent grown-up psychological family drama thingie, I assume wifey would enjoy if she hasn't watched it yet.

I saw Rocketman.

rocketman_underwater_piano_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg

Biopics are easily my least favorite genre, to the point that I practically won't ever bother. But, I loved it.

It suffers from the same sanitizing all biopics suffer from when the subject or their family is involved in the production. It played at portraying Elton as a selfish drug addict for a long period, but did it in a way where he was always sympathetic, always the tortured victim. The portrayal of his family (especially his father) and the other dark influences in his life was so over the top that you really have to view it as more of a fairy tale than a biography, which I think actually worked to its advantage.

What a romp, though. I was grinning through at least half of the movie. It's just so energetic and outrageous. I was really happy to see Take Me to the Pilot and Border Song get good treatments, and equally happy to see Candle in the Wind get nothing but a little nod to the melody once. Even songs I thought I hated (Crocodile Rock) became some of my favorite scenes.

Highly recommend seeing on the big screen if you're possibly into this sort of thing.

P.S. Also features the best stomach pumping musical scene since Almost Famous.

Take Me To The Pilot and Your Song are so friggin good.

Mrx actually a detailed review. Good job. Still not sure it would get an A.
..not watching any musical stomach pumping

Well I just did it. I recorded a movie that I'm 99% sure is not for me. A lot of people liked it but I'm 99% sure it's not for me.

But I'll go ahead and watch it at some point. Then I'll say, yeah, that wasn't for me.

It's a thing I have to go through once in awhile.

Was it Avengers?

Have no interest in watching that hype.

Saw Rocketman today.

It is at least 10 times more creative than Bohemian Rhapsody. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody. But this film, wow.

Mr.X did a great job articulating what Rocketman occasionally falls victim to.

For what it’s worth, I did not enjoy the preview for Rocketman when I saw it 2 months ago.

After seeing it, I give it 8.25 Trons out of 10. The fella who plays Elton John should get a Best Actor nomination. The director deserves a nomination as well.

Operation Odessa

Documentary about Russian Mob and Colombians linking up via Miami in the 90’s.

Awesome totally awesome.

After seeing it, I give it 8.25 Trons out of 10. The fella who plays Elton John should get a Best Actor nomination. The director deserves a nomination as well.

That was really something, wasn't it?

I was fully expecting to just tolerate it at best.

Going to see Toy Story 4 shortly. Assigned seating and booze is being sold. Parental life's not that bad. 📽🍿🍺