Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,729 Comments
  • Views 936,227 Views
It was very thoughtful, Catfish. I liked it.

It didn't end up being the sensational stuff my imagination was conjuring up as it went along. It was actually very grounded and intelligent.

I go 7.3 for a rating.

Reading reviews from around the time Catfish was released, a lot of critics were annoyed by, or downright angry at the lead and his two partners. They were accused of looking down on rural types, of being disingenuous and insincere. I saw nothing of the sort in the movie. If anything, the lead guy seems very naive and genuinely bland.

I'm still a little bit haunted by the movie.

In my version it'd turn out to be a big sorority house full of hot lesbians who violently rape the towelheads with strap ons (which is unseen) then each other.

Ok I watched Mud.

Problem with that movie is the whole story feels contrived. From the idea of a boat on a tree, to the posse, to the sharp shooter neighbor, to them senselessly shooting up the house and getting killed (instead of waiting), to the unlikely love story, makes this film hard to take seriously.
Not to mention Mud's overacting at times, kinda sucks. But I guess he has to do it to make the farcical plot emotionally relevant.

The good part is the boys, especially Ellis and his family, who exhibit a certain character and spirit that makes the movie almost watchable, most of the way through. Also the ambiance of the river/town is cool.

Reading reviews from around the time Catfish was released, a lot of critics were annoyed by, or downright angry at the lead and his two partners. They were accused of looking down on rural types, of being disingenuous and insincere. I saw nothing of the sort in the movie. If anything, the lead guy seems very naive and genuinely bland.

I'm still a little bit haunted by the movie.

The discussion I looked at, the main complaint people make is they say it's all fake, staged. Someone compared it to The Blair Witch Project. That never crossed my mind. And while people are very insistent about it, I did not see an actual compelling point to back up the idea.

:dunno:

I mean, it's edited. All documentaries are edited.

I can imagine a lot of way splashier stuff you could do with the premise if you were writing fiction.

A minor complaint I have is the title/metaphor. The idea that a person like this is necessary to keep us all from basically stopping living - from turning to mush - has no basis at all. The subject is very interesting - a lot to think about - but let's not get carried away. Like it would have been an okay isolated scene where the husband talked about the cods and catfish - little detour - but as a title? Poor choice IMO.

I did not see it as the guys as looking down on rural types. I found it a very sympathetic and gentle approach. Could easily have been very nasty but wasn't at all.

Exactly.

I think "Catfish" refers to the lead. Nev was Angela's catfish. It's the resulting expression "getting catfished" that makes no sense.

The husband seems keenly aware of his wife's issues. I wish they spent more time with him.

so it has nothing to do with this guy?
catfish-hunter-25.jpg

bummer

I will be watching The Gift probably tonight. I will not be reviewing it until after I watch it, for the sake of accuracy.

This movie Catfish, you should watch it. It's a documentary about Jim "The Catfish" Hunter.

Here's a clip

I like this season of Fargo. It's not like last season which was constantly like, WTF are they doing? Martin Freeman is amazing but a whole lotta shit is not ringing true or making sense.

This season is like, it's good.

The opening weekend of this much-ballyhooed Steve Jobs film is considered very disappointing. It's got big stars/director/writer - and hype - ballyhoo, if you will. It's clearly targeted for Oscar season - but it opened only marginally better than the 2012 Jobs film starring Ashton Kutcher.

So that ain't much.

How many Steve Jobs movies are going to be made? Meh.

I watched:

Ex Machina - I just kept thinking of the ludicrous idea that one person alone could create a fully functional, lifelike android with artificial intelligence, capturing all of the emotions of a human. It would take thousands of highly intelligent people and probably more to develop anything even crudely resembling human emotion and learning through code. I came away with the lesson that we shouldn't give robots the capacity for self-interest. Not sure that's what the movie was going for. Kept me interested despite seriously questioning some of the motivations and actions of the protagonist. 5.1 F0cks.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Decent coming of age story about some teens and cancer. Good story, excellent acting, some spots of humor. I'd watch it again. 7.5 F0cks.