Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,729 Comments
  • Views 937,896 Views
For some reason I expected something with at least a couple of cool moments from NPH's show.

No.

NPH is not funny. He can act funny parts, but the man himself has no personality so he just puts on that phony overly-enthusiastic mask.

I bought the illusion and the shitty improv on this show was fact.

:facepalm:

I find Trevor Noah off-putting. Unappealing.

I am ready for them to declare it was all a big mistake and try the next person on the depth chart.

The Jim Gaffigan show is alright if you need filler and are a fan of his. 6.4 baconbits. Lol at it being on TV Land. His wife is unrealistically hot just like Matty's.

Last edited:
Changeling (2008) is quite a movie. Gave that a rewatch.

It's interesting. It's reasonably well put together. Clint Eastwood knows his way around a movie.

But it's just so wretched. Not that many movies like it where the whole thing is basically, "Hey here's something completely unrelentingly horrible. Check it out!"

Looks like season 2 of The Affair kicks off tonight.

Well, it's something.

The Affair S2 started last week or the week before.

It seemed better written and acted than S1

Trainwreck (2015) - A tale of two movie.

The first 59% - very good. One of the highest laughs-per-square-mile ratios I can recall in quite awhile. Not trying anything cute. The set up is (mostly) straight forward and it's just funny. On pace for an 8+ rating.

Final 41% - Problems. Suddenly large chunks are much less like real human interactions and I am seeing bits. Then come the cliches and painfully contrived, formulaic moves. Eyerolls.

I end up at 6.6 out of 10 - although I do recommend it more than most 6.6's. I sat there and laughed a lot for awhile there. It was nice. I wish they would have maintained what they were doing but that's life.

Trainwreck.jpg

Yeah it was alright. 6.4.

Love and Mercy (2014) - it's good.

I'm not a big Beach Boys guy but I often enjoy portrayals of inspiration and creation of good, significant stuff.

It is a well put-together movie (if you can get past the fact that the two actors playing Brian Wilson at different points in his life don't really look like him or each other.)

7.4 out of 10

loveandmercy6.jpg

I don't entirely understand why I watch The Affair.

I think what it comes down to is: so many shows that I try out and ditch, it's because of mistakes. Eyeroll moments. Writers being too cute or directors trying tricks, saying, "Lookit me." There may be some potentially interesting aspects, but they lose me with the facepalms.

The Affair doesn't have much of that. I doesn't do things conspicuously wrong.

It doesn't do that much right to speak of. I mean sure, there are little moments that are like, okay, legit observation - or whatever - but I think it is the relatively small amount of wrongness that keeps me going.

Just like, okay, once again, you did not screw up egregiously - I shall continue.

I can't recall ever following a show on that basis before.

I like how they got the whole hair in the frame. Many shots on google images cut off part of the hair.

Speaking of which, I was just looking at some photos of Roseanne cast members - how they lookin' now?

I'm always curious if someone has become a complete train wreck - but no. They are all holding up as well or better than can be expected.

Well I mean Roseanne herself is no work of art but considering the starting point - she's okay.