• Replies 23 Comments
  • Views 1,946 Views

Bread

Current Corpse
Since
Jan 20, 2010
Score
Tokens
Didn't end up seeing anything on Saturday. But crammed in some rentals yesterday.

The Hurt Locker - Yea it was a good movie, but nothing like I was expecting. I even lost interest a couple of times. But it was certainly well done. Will be very surprised if this wins Best Picture.

Less Than Zero
- Had been over 20 years since I'd seen this one. A classic case of life imitating art as Downey Jr.'s life spiraled for several years after "getting into character" for this one. Glad to see the talented actor was able to get it all back together. He's like our very own Mudcat success story.

You gotta give it up to the 80's...even in a gritty drama like this, the acting and storyline can completely fall apart at times and nobody really cares. The time line was WAY off several times throughout the plot. Don't even get started on Jami Gertz's acting chops in this one. It was so bad that it became enjoyable after awhile. Oh, and if you tell me that James Spader hasn't raped someone IRL, I'll call you a liar. What an awesome creep!

Observe and Report - Just so-so as far as the raunchy below-the-belt wave of comedies that have been in recent demand go. Seth Rogen has been growing on me, but this was a classic case of his doofyness becoming overkill. Anna Faris (Cindy from Scary Movie series) plays the ditzy bitch, and it worked out just fine. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody not smoking the trees though.

I continued on my quest to see the Oscar nominees this week.

Crazy Heart - Liked it a lot. Jeff Bridges will win Best Actor - and I have put my money where my mouth is. The movie itself was not nominated for Best Picture but is better than some of the nominees IMO.

Precious - a well-presented story about horrible things. Mo'Nique will win Best Supporting Actress but I am not going to lay that chalk (-1325 at Pinny). It would be a worthy Best Picture winner but somehow I doubt it.

A Serious Man - This is also nominated for Best Picture. Basically, if you are in tune with the sensibilities of the Coen Brothers, you will like this. If not, then probably not. I am - so I enjoyed it a lot. It's really not a Best Picture type of movie though. Just came out on DVD.

So now I have seen 8 of the 10 Best Picture nominees. Only An Education and The Blind Side remain. I really don't have much interest in The Blind Side. I have heard it is pretty weak. Do I really have to go?

Sandra Bullock's V-Day disaster!

Sandra Bullock has revealed how her grooming preparations for Valentines Day ended up in disaster.

The Blind Side star explained how a failed attempt to surprise her motorcycle enthusiast husband Jesse James
left her rolling in pain.

"I decided for Valentine''s Day I would do a special hair thing. I wanted to try to create a pink heart shape with my lower hair. It was painful, the Daily Telegraph quoted her as telling OK! magazine.

"You had to bleach it first. There''s something about bleach that feels like acid. Then I had to shave it. I was in so much pain, but I kept going and put the pink dye on and it went the wrong colour," she added.

This is terrible news right here. :moped:

Good reporting. We need more Hollywood snatch news.

We need a Sandra Bullock sub forum here.

kakkkaach.jpg

She makes out with a woman as well eh? Splendid!

I watched The Hurt Locker last night as well....I wasn't overly impressed with it. It was alright but not Oscar worthy by any means. I don't get the hype....

Went and saw Sherlock Holmes. It was what was expected. eh. Very predictable and over the top. Definitely a rental or even an HBO movie.

I really liked The Hurt Locker, but I am going to take back that I think it will win Best Picture. Because I haven't seen all nominated, I really have no clue.

We have three more Blockbuster dvd's to watch this week.

Smokin' Aces II
The Sarah Silverman Project (last season)

I really liked The Hurt Locker, but I am going to take back that I think it will win Best Picture. Because I haven't seen all nominated, I really have no clue.

Smokin' Aces II

What was so appealing to you about the Hurt Locker? (I am honestly curious, not trying to bash your opinion....) I am wondering if I am actually missing something that others see about this movie...

Smokin' Aces II

Really want to see Smokin' Aces II. Just hope that they do the first one justice and aren't just trying to cash in on the name.

I watched The Hurt Locker last night as well....I wasn't overly impressed with it. It was alright but not Oscar worthy by any means. I don't get the hype....

I felt the same way, thought it was to long, I started to lose interest. I have a hard time sitting and watching a movie for more than 90 minutes.

What I liked about The Hurt Locker was the insightful character study. It was certainly not the first movie to make the point that war screws people up but I thought it was an original presentation of the theme.

He was not a bad guy and he was not stupid but he was just totally damaged - so damaged he was ultimately unable to function in normal society. Even though he was able to get through his natural rotation in the war with his life - he would have to go back and destroy himself. There is no getting out alive (at least figuratively, and probably literally).

He was capable of great caring for other humans (like the little boy) but he was oblivious to the danger he put people in when this adrenaline addiction (for lack of a better term) that he had developed because of this insane job, kicked in.

I thought that was interesting and there was just the general suspense in several scenes. It presented angles on that specific war I hadn't thought of before and a number of times, it made me think, 'Wow, imagine having to deal with that shit.'

What I liked about The Hurt Locker was the insightful character study. It was certainly not the first movie to make the point that war screws people up but I thought it was an original presentation of the theme.

He was not a bad guy and he was not stupid but he was just totally damaged - so damaged he was ultimately unable to function in normal society. Even though he was able to get through his natural rotation in the war with his life - he would have to go back and destroy himself. There is no getting out alive (at least figuratively, and probably literally).

He was capable of great caring for other humans (like the little boy) but he was oblivious to the danger he put people in when this adrenaline addiction (for lack of a better term) that he had developed because of this insane job, kicked in.

I thought that was interesting and there was just the general suspense in several scenes. It presented angles on that specific war I hadn't thought of before and a number of times, it made me think, 'Wow, imagine having to deal with that shit.'

Okay so I actually wasn't missing anything...I got what they were trying to do...i just didn't like the movie very much. Fairly dull... Thanks Muddy. That is exactly what I was looking for....just thought i might be missing something.

I personally think Less Than Zero is a great flick. It was from a book by Bret Easton Ellis yes?

His other books that were later made into films include Rules of Attraction and my all time favorite American Psycho which I have seen about 100 times and is funnier every time I watch it.

I haven't seen hardly any movies this year. Only Inglorious Basterds which was decent. I really liked the evil German main character. I think he is up for something...

I don't pay much attention to awards I guess. Seems like they are always giving out awards for something out there.

Try this one out if you can find it.

What's Up Tiger Lily?

What was so appealing to you about the Hurt Locker? (I am honestly curious, not trying to bash your opinion....) I am wondering if I am actually missing something that others see about this movie...

We just finished watching 9, otherwise I would have responded. But Muddy said the same exact I would have said. Character studies are not for everyone.