If gambling didn't exist...

• Start date
  • Replies 62 Comments
  • Views 3,501 Views
Bookie what is being said here by monkey, is that yes we have the knowledge of gambling NOW, because it DOES exist.
However, if it NEVER existed, then how would we have gained any knowledge?

"you can't miss what you never had to begin with"

I think a more proper question here would be:
What would you miss about gambling if it ceased to exist?

Dax, if Pogo, Peeps and The Shrink reincarnate does that mean they ever existed?

If you're aware of it, it exists.

A little logic, please.

So logic would state that this conversation wouldn't even be taking place because there would be nothing to converse about... SO, maybe if I rephrase my question you would be able to provide an answer if you please...

If Gambling ceased to exist in our present life (for no reason whatsoever), what would you miss about it? And Why?

Oh, and just because you as a person are aware of something doesn't mean that it exists, remember we all have different perceptions of what reality really is...:wallylove:

Dax, if travelling through time didn't exist, what would you MISS about it the most?

And just because we haven't discovered how to travel through time physically why would it not exist? and what I would miss most about it? That I wouldn't be able to go back in to the past and talk with my old man before he passed away...

I think this whole reality concept is easy when it comes to something tangible, and maybe debatable with things are not.

So logic would state that this conversation wouldn't even be taking place because there would be nothing to converse about... SO, maybe if I rephrase my question you would be able to provide an answer if you please...

If Gambling ceased to exist in our present life (for no reason whatsoever), what would you miss about it? And Why?

I'd be doing some sort of mathematical programming - probably for a hedge fund or prop trading firm.

Oh, and just because you as a person are aware of something doesn't mean that it exists, remember we all have different perceptions of what reality really is...:wallylove:

Your logic fails you again. If YOU are aware of something, it exists TO YOU. Whether it's all in your head or not is another matter entirely.

But if we each have DIFFERENT PERCEPTIONS of what reality is, then how could you possibly tell someone else that something doesn't exist if it is a REALITY (see exists) to them?

And just because we haven't discovered how to travel through time physically why would it not exist? and what I would miss most about it? That I wouldn't be able to go back in to the past and talk with my old man before he passed away...

You don't MISS that, Dax.

Sorry. The only thing you're missing is basic logic.

I MISS God.

No. I really don't. Never knew him (whoever he's supposed to be). Never will.

Some people do though. That's THEIR reality. All in their heads? I think so.

Loop hole in the logic:
He said WOULD, not does.
Would implies something, does not constitute the act of.

Bookie what is being said here by monkey, is that yes we have the knowledge of gambling NOW, because it DOES exist.
However, if it NEVER existed, then how would we have gained any knowledge?

"you can't miss what you never had to begin with"

I think a more proper question here would be:
What would you miss about gambling if it ceased to exist?

Of course and yes I understood, what I find fascinating is how by rearranging words and placing them in hypothetical scenarios complicates an adults logic to answer a question... I have no purpose asking this question, I just wanted to see the reaction. Also if you ask the same question to a child but change the factor to something they would understand like instead of "gambling" use "TV" in this case... no matter how you put the question they will still be able to answer it without having "logic" be a debilitating factor. So actually you could say I had a purpose with this, and it's don't lose the kid within you no matter how old you are...

Loop hole in the logic:
He said WOULD, not does.
Would implies something, does not constitute the act of.

Ugh. He DOES NOT miss it, because he's NEVER been able to do it in the first place.

Of course and yes I understood, what I find fascinating is how by rearranging words and placing them in hypothetical scenarios complicates an adults logic to answer a question... I have no purpose asking this question, I just wanted to see the reaction. Also if you ask the same question to a child but change the factor to something they would understand like instead of "gambling" use "TV" in this case... no matter how you put the question they will still be able to answer it without having "logic" be a debilitating factor. So actually you could say I had a purpose with this, and it's don't lose the kid within you no matter how old you are...

What's great about being a kid? Zero responsibility? Complete ignorance to the world around you?

Or just not applying logic to straightforward questions?

Ugh. He DOES NOT miss it, because he's NEVER been able to do it in the first place.

I did not say he does, I said "would" as in might.

Not knowing for sure, but taking a guess and what he would miss if that was a real scenario.
It's called hypothetical.

I did not say he does, I said "would" as in might.

Not knowing for sure, but taking a guess and what he would miss if that was a real scenario.
It's called hypothetical.

First of all, "would" is not equal to "might." It is derivative of WILL.

Secondly, the hypothetical circles around the fact that you cannot miss something that never existed. It is a failed hypothesis.

If they had the interwebs in the joint? Would one miss being out?

If they had Xbox in juvi? Would the children miss being out?

Ok Monkey, I see your point, I just think that this is ridiculous.
What is wrong with using a little imagination?
You people are exhausting sometimes.