• Views 18,986 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
just wondering if anyone has some input on this situation:

In working with my new home recording studio, I have tried creating acoustic guitar tracks by playing in front of a microphone. What I find though is that I don't get a rich ringing sound. At least not as much as I would like. There are some bits where I just want some driving 12 string background rhythm - in the model of Dogs by Pink Floyd - and I like how that comes out. But when I want it more front-and-center, it seems muffled and nothing I do in terms of positioning the mic or playing with the studio levels makes it as good as I want.

So a few points:

I should change the strings. Obviously. They are due. But the ones on there aren't that old and, knowing my guitar as I do, I know it will make a difference but not that much of a difference. At least not to my ear. Now maybe the difference when fed through the computer will be more noticeable. Bottom line, I will definitely be doing that; I just haven't yet largely due to the next point.

Someone suggested I should change the rods (bridge rod and truss rod ???) from plastic to bone. He said that would make a huge difference. Anyone have any experience with that?

(Anyway, that's why I haven't just jumped in and changed the strings. I figure I would put on the new strings right after the new rods are put in if I do that. There is also the question of what strings to use. The ones I use are probably okay but not great. Martin, Dean Markley, D'Addario - I just tend to grab whatever bronze wound strings I see. I am interested in any comments on that.)

A couple other points:

Maybe I need to get a pick up and feed the guitar through the audio interface much like an electric guitar rather than just micing it.

Maybe I just need to rent/borrow a better guitar when the time comes to record those bits. My guitar is an old friend but it is 35+ years old and was certainly a respectable guitar for an 11 year-old when I got it but is probably not a great professional quality instrument.

Any comments?

What kind of mic? You need to play really close to it as a general rule. I would look up the mic model on the Interwebs and look for pointers from fellow enthusiasts. Different mics have different sweet spots as far as placement goes.

A decent mic will produce way better results than a cheap onboard preamp or pickup.

If we're talking about your Yamaha it should make for a fine recording axe. These are great sounding instruments.

Lemme see . . .

The mic is an Apex435 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone.

I don't know how good it is. I told them I want something good and this is what they sold me.

All through this process I have been relying on the kindness of strangers - and that has not worked out well several times. I have gotten idiotic advice a number of times on a number of things. Maybe this mic is another example of that. Don't know.

As far as positioning it, I did look at a tutorial on that subject and tried everything they said. It was certainly not as detailed as that link you sent. I guess I need to look through that.

So yeah, it's possible I need a better mic too. Add that to the list of things I am uncertain about.

:square:

Yeah, I would keep experimenting with placement. I wouldn't tinker with the guitar itself - fancier bone or ivory parts may change the feel to you, but IMO the final recording sound won't be drastically different.

New strings may help somewhat, although brand new strings are likely to sound harsh and overly treble-y.

GL sir!

no clue
I'm still easily amused with my Boss distortion pedal I got from the pawn shop a few weeks ago
now I want an amp with some effects:weee:

I wanna get the latest iPad + iRig + Amplitube. Look Ma, no amp! Software modeling has come a long way.

Didjoo get the orange DS1 senco?

My old guitar had the plastic rod, new one has the bone. Although, the old guitar was an Ibanez and the new one is a Taylor so the are hardly comparable.

Have you tried recording in your bathroom? Not joking.

I have not tried recording in the bathroom, no. I'm not against the idea but there would be some logistical challenges. Buncha equipment 'n' cords 'n' shit to move over there. But it's do-able.

TBH I feel no closer to a solution. I guess the next thing to do would simply be to try again with what I've got. It's possible I was just in some kinda mood and it is actually not as bad as my first impression.

Getting the bone rods and top quality strings seems like a can't-lose measure. What's the worst that can happen? I spend a few bucks. So I'll do that before trying the next test.

Depending on how that goes, I may start calling a few friends about guitars that can be borrowed. I know a couple guys who might be able to help out. It would actually be good to get my hands on a 6-string anyway for some tracks.

This thing is called a feedback buster and may help you out. It is designed to fit in the hole in the acoustic guitar. It closes off the acoustic chamber so that the guitar will not resonate or feedback.

FBR2.jpg

Also it is not that difficult to put a pickup in your acoustic guitar. I am in the process of researching this upgrade for my early 80's Takamine. Check out these pickups.

http://www.peterman.com.au/music/Acoustic_Guitar_Pickups

I wanna get the latest iPad + iRig + Amplitube. Look Ma, no amp! Software modeling has come a long way.

Didjoo get the orange DS1 senco?

nope, still the shitty amp that came with my shitty combo kit...
looking for a new amp but get confused searching

so far I know:
I dont want a tube amp... to pricey doesnt make sense for me... I just fuk around on the geetar

sparked my interest:
all the combo amps with effects built in....
heard mixed reviews but I just wanna make some weird noise and fuk around w/out buying 15 pedals

my acoustic still gets more playing time then the electric
just something about the sound of acoustic that makes me all warm and fuzzy.
IDK why but acoustic is what Im drawn to at the moment

nope, still the shitty amp that came with my shitty combo kit...
looking for a new amp but get confused searching

so far I know:
I dont want a tube amp... to pricey doesnt make sense for me... I just fuk around on the geetar

sparked my interest:
all the combo amps with effects built in....
heard mixed reviews but I just wanna make some weird noise and fuk around w/out buying 15 pedals

my acoustic still gets more playing time then the electric
just something about the sound of acoustic that makes me all warm and fuzzy.
IDK why but acoustic is what Im drawn to at the moment

I meant the distortion pedal - the DS-1 (orange paint) is the quintessential fuzz box.

And yeah, building an electric rig is a pain in the ass. I would recomment looking at the Line6 amps. They cram a lot of simulated amp & effects into one package. Shit sounds good: www.line6.com

OHH, thought you were talking about an Orange brand amp...
I got the DS2 ( and its orange)

I stand my my original advice of recording in the bathroom.

I bought this little amplifier today. $112 with tax included. I can't wait to get my semi-acoustic plugged into it.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/mini3/

lg_mini3_slant_ivory.jpg

lg_mini3_top.jpg

I am in the process of researching how to electrify all of my acoustic instruments. I have a guitar and a banjo that need to have pickups installed.

Since starting this thread, I have gotten pretty routine about micing anything acoustic. I mic my acoustic guitar, my vocals. Recently I did some banjo - anything that can be played in front of a mic gets miced. From there it can be tinkered with any number of ways through the software.

I'm convinced it is better than using pickups for my purposes.

But maybe there are other purposes where pickups are a better way to go.

I have been looking to buy a smaller, acoustic travel guitar lately. I found a guy in the gta who is selling this little beauty. It is actually a Martin Guitar... has a pickup installed in it too... I'm excited to see if a company known for making super expensive axes can make a cheap one sound good. I've read a bunch of reviews and it seems that almost everyone is gushing about how good this guitar is.. For $325 w/ the gig bag, it'll be a steal. It is a Martin LX1E and is listed on the Martin site for $519

$T2eC16RHJHoE9n3Ke-C,BQkuGJEFew~~48_20.JPG