guitar discussion

• Start date
  • Replies 243 Comments
  • Views 19,363 Views
Hey Muddy and Matty. I went back to the electronics surplus store today and i bought some more rare earth magnets. Next time I head up to my cabin, I am going to continue my experimentation. I am in the process of trying to make my own guitar pickup. I've been reading up on it and have made one attempt so far.. I need to wind a shitload more copper onto the coil.

My 1st attempt worked ever so slightly. I could just barely hear the string through the amplifier... I don't expect to be able to make a very high quality pickup but it is cool going through the theory to try to get one to work.. when it is done, it should look like this.

Just don't accidentally reverse the rotation of the earth or anything.

Think thats cool? Magnets? How do they work?

Very cool MrQ! Post some videos if/when you get it working decently. Pickups are the only thing (ok, outside of tuners) that I've never built myself. It's quite the specialized job.

This band is in my top 10; If there was a Stringed Instrument Discussion Section I would post this there but there isn't. Check out how smooth this band is...They are amazing.

My new/old axe. I've had it for years/it was broken. Now it is on the way to being fixed. Playable but electronics need to be re-done. Had the bridge pins reset by a friend of mine. I need to get a better set of tuners... Made in USA... I place it from '65-'67.

DSC00973.JPG

Interesting axe MrQ! Kalamazoo Jazz? Is that what it says?

Looks like a homemade replica of the Fender Duo Sonic/Musicmaster. Having separate volume & tone controls for each pickup is pretty faaaancy.

It really needs to have some shielding done, new pots and a new switch. There is a lot of buzzing going on....

Sure, sure. I'm trying to keep this one as 'stock' as possible. The tuners are awful though;I'm going to scrounge around and see if I can find another set. I wish the 20 year ago me had never took it apart and painted it. Still though. I like the fact that it is small and I can sit and play it in the apartment;that is great for me. Up until now, I didnt have any sort of functional strat type guitar. A work in progress for sure.

Last edited:
Here's a crazy question for you: do you have any tips about comfort in playing electric guitar?

I'm obviously not talking about just sitting back on the couch and playing. If I ever did that, I'm sure it would be fine. But when I am playing in the studio - because I need to be close to the computer and interface - I seem to get weird discomfort mainly in my right thigh. I think it comes from subconsciously flexing/tensing a certain muscle to prevent the guitar from sliding.

I can't play in my regular desk chair because the arms get in the way. So I was playing on the piano bench for awhile - but that has a limited comfort timespan, not just because of the leg thing but the back. Then I found an armless chair and stuck an obusforme on it - and I fashioned a little footrest out of a showbox stuffed with rags which props up one or both legs and addresses the sliding issue to some extent.

It is better. It is workable but still pretty far from ideal.

Does that all sound crazy? Just wondering if there are any tips.

Do you have a strap for it? Strap it on tightly so it won't slide while you're sitting.

In fact I do not have a strap for that particular guitar. I bet they sell them at the music store.

:light:

Another good tip is to just get up for 5-10 minutes for every hour that you are sitting there. Sitting in general can be uncomfortable. Try to stretch out your back/ get up and walk outside for a few minutes etc...

Good advice.

It is not nearly so bad with the acoustic for whatever reason. I have a strap on the acoustic but never even think to use it.

Yeah, the contoured Strat body is fantastic when you're standing up, not so much when sitting.

I used to have as many as 15 guitars at one point and had a strap for each one. Still have a dozen straps or so, down to 2 guitars.