guitar discussion

• Start date
  • Replies 243 Comments
  • Views 19,444 Views
of5bhi.jpg

First tuner I've found that's not total garbage. I've had three ~$20 tuners plus one of those $100 ones that you clip onto the headstock. All cheaply made. All broke within the first year.

My Korg rack mount tuner is 17 years old and it works very well.

Paid about $150 for it I believe. I've spent $0 on batteries for it.

I tune to E by first humming Day Tripper.

Dead serious.

My Korg rack mount tuner is 17 years old and it works very well.

Paid about $150 for it I believe. I've spent $0 on batteries for it.

That's an interesting point. I don't know when I got this Sabine Tuner - seems like I've had it forever - and it has always works pretty much flawlessly - but I can't remember ever fiddling with batteries.

I'm thinking it might have a little internal nuclear reactor.

I tune to E by first humming Day Tripper.

Dead serious.
That's pretty amazing if you can do that and be perfectly in tune with other musicians or a recording. I have a pretty decent ear, but there is no way in hell I would trust myself to do that in a performance situation. Plus there are usually a few other people trying to tune at the same time, and a drummer randomly hitting stuff for god knows what reason.

I retune all the time. Day Tripper is good to get 98% there, but yeah, any jam/band/recording situation requires fine-tuning. All the fokken time.

ever tried tuning drums?
thats a bitch IMO, always done it by ear and was never satisfied
but probably 95% of getting certain tones desired has more to do with size, thickness and species of material, make,, heads, weight of sticks, etc...

Got me a new axe! Asian-made Selmer copy, for pumping out those gypsy jazz beats that all the cool kids are raving about these days. :yes: Thing sounds amazing. Needs some fret work though - them Chinese slaves left filing marks all over the place. I just put in an order at Stewmac for the required supplies.

:guitar:

Aogq7OB.jpg

mT2JMHs.jpg

aSYwYLc.jpg

They also make a wide-mouth version, for extra pick-collecting power.

41Bj57yBEOL.jpg

I didn't even think you played acoustic guitar.

Did I know that?

I really don't. I have a regular dreadnought that I never use, and will probably sell sometime soon 'cause it's just taking up space in our tiny POS apartment.

These gypsy jazz guitars play a lot like an electric. Thin strings (10-45), low action, and you need to play them with a big-ass pick to extract maximum volume. I'm more of a lead player to begin with, and this small-mouth model is specifically a lead guitar. The transition from electric to this feels pretty natural.

Now all I need to do is completely relearn how to pick. :wah:

I was talking to the 'luthier' today and I'm placing an order with him by this month's end. I am sending him a picture of my cedar log home and he is going to match the wood finish of the cedar logs. FYI his name is Darren Brown and his site is:

http://dbrowncustoms.blogspot.ca/

398274_3694552253025_1836420608_n.jpg

My 'guitar' will be a 3 stringer, like this one.

Last edited:
You play slide MrQ? I could never play the slide worth a shit.

I can play slide somewhat Matty. I tend to use open G tuning and since I have started playing banjo, my finger picking is a lot better. I seldom use a pick now when playing slide and prefer to drone notes while sliding on others.. I'll try to find a link to some of the styles I try to imitate

Sadly the first one is Ralph Machio; but i HIGHLY doubt its him playing; Clapton maybe?

I dont care for the Telecaster tone too much either.. bit too twangy for me.

It's Ry Cooder playing for Ralph Macchio. The Steve Vai bit from the same movie is one of the most famous licks of all time. I can play it at like 75% speed.

Right Ry Cooder; I was too lazy to google it.

The coolest thing about things like 3 or 4 string guitars is that there are no rules. You can put whatever 3 or 4 strings you like on it and tune it to whatever you want. Here's a video of the 3 string guitar and a bit of info about one tuning. It's cool stuff. I am tired of all the regular guitar BS Matty. I don't care if I ever learn any fast leads or anything like that. I prefer note bending and sustain and drone/melody playing.

I have had this Marshall amp for about 20 years or so. I can't even remember how long ago..maybe 15 yrs ago it started making horrible pops and noises and eventually I just stopped playing it.

Recently I tore it apart and realized that one of the capacitors was broken off of the circuit board; one trip to the electronic surplus place and Voila, it is working. I also cleaned all of the pot's and input jacks etc. So there seems to be no more horrible scratches. If it ends up being reliable again, I will research buying a new tube/valve.

It is a 40w Marshall Valvstate 8040; circa 1990 Just before it broke, I had the speaker replaced with a 12 " - 70W Celestion

I'm pretty happy about it and I can't wait to get back up to my cabin so I can plug in one of my electric guitars and let 'er rip.

8040%20marshall%208040.jpg