guitar discussion

• Start date
  • Replies 243 Comments
  • Views 19,252 Views
BTW african mahogany is soft as shit. All the Asian-made Gibson-type guitars use it. It can be good, but there is a high incidence of soft wood being used to make necks.

Test the guitar you're planning to buy by playing the open strings and then putting pressure on the back of the neck. If the pitch drops by more than a few cents, the guitar is firewood.

I have never tried any of the Chinese guitars Matty. My gut told me to just save up the extra couple bucks and just buy a real Gibson Les Paul Jr. but I thought I would give the other ones (Chinese/Korean) a look.

I used to work with a band years ago and the guitar player had a '59 Les Paul Jr. and to this day it was one of the coolest guitars I have ever played. I can probably find one for $699 plus tax; so I may just sell a few things and buy the real Gibson.

Good call. That is a lot of guitar for 700 bucks. :guitar:

I just love those p-90 soapbar pickups... They RIP... such a chewy classic sound and tons of sustain.. great for blues/rock riffs.

fellas, does it makes sense to have multiple electric guitars? You've seen my telecaster(its pretty smooth). I use a foking pedal thingy that can make the guitar do 40 different sounds and what not.

But the sensor where the chord plugs into guitar keeps getting fucked. (it connects from the bottom and I guess grinds on the floor when I play)

Anyway, I started playing more again lately :up: feeling like a badass and all

Music is what you make it. If you are happy ripping it up on your favourite instrument, that is all that matters. I had the misfortune to work for a guy (as a guitar tech) that was a badass vintage Gibson collector so I had the opportunity to play some of the best electric guitars that have ever been made. When you dig a bit deeper, you always learn more. When you have a so-so guitar, you need a bunch of pedals, when you have a great guitar all you need is a clean and a dirty sound. I hate flange, chorus etc. Fuck that shit.

I am about to order a guitar from this guy. I hope to confirm the order tomorrow.

Hand-made in Canada. 3 strings only. He's going to match the finish to my log home; $340 delivered including shipping.

Mr.Q, we've all posted video of us playing guitar at some point, me Matty,Muddy,Cougar even Daffy I believe. I think it's your turn pal.
btw, thats a hell of a lot of sound he's getting off a that dopey looking thing :grin:

Mr.Q, we've all posted video of us playing guitar at some point, me Matty,Muddy,Cougar even Daffy I believe. I think it's your turn pal.
btw, thats a hell of a lot of sound he's getting off a that dopey looking thing :grin:

forgetting someone are we? :mmike:
I havent progressed any since my vid
in fact I degressed:pope:

was gung-ho about teaching myself for few months then frustration set in and the fire died out

BTW african mahogany is soft as shit. All the Asian-made Gibson-type guitars use it. It can be good, but there is a high incidence of soft wood being used to make necks.

Test the guitar you're planning to buy by playing the open strings and then putting pressure on the back of the neck. If the pitch drops by more than a few cents, the guitar is firewood.

pressure as in trying to put a bow the neck?

sorry Mikey. :buddy:

But did you show your face? If you didnt it doesnt count.

Matty, answer my question pal. I know you have/had dealings with guitars. Whats the benefit of having multiple guitars, and should I get something?

was gung-ho about teaching myself for few months then frustration set in and the fire died out

I say fuck the teaching shit. Put on a tune and try to play along, or put some chords together and write your own tune. The key is to start feeling your own creativity :up:

@ Matty... What are your thoughts on this guitar? Apparently it was made for the Japanese market in 2009;

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=528499085&MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.REPLY_TO_AD_SENT&backToSearchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fontario.kijiji.ca%2Ff-les-paul-special-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-W0QQCatIdZ17QQKeywordZlesQ20paulQ20specialQQisSearchFormZtrue&ilIds=529420314%2C529200812%2C528840296%2C455587317%2C528499085%2C528417495%2C528371785%2C528298064%2C528007983%2C527958781%2C527974380%2C527693443%2C527274446%2C526704090%2C526639924%2C526612839%2C526554413%2C526354764%2C526351205%2C526353872&ilNext=2&ilPrev=-1&ilProvider=SearchIdListProvider&ilqcCatId=17&ilqcKeyword=les+paul+special&mpname=R2S&mpname=Activity-R2S&mpuid=1700275%3B613%3B528499085%3B61603288%3B%3B&secev=AQAAAUFpluoAAM0AAAACACIxNDE3YWIwZWUyMS5hMjBiMjcxLjdjM2QxLmZmZmVlZDVjAAAAAB%2BAQY0BAAAAAgAAAAA7msoAnBmQ8vt6Ug9C%2BC%2BIXq7NDG1gBvA*

$(KGrHqVHJFIFIuP(1dDcBSSMZBqtKQ~~48_20.JPG

Matty, answer my question pal. I know you have/had dealings with guitars. Whats the benefit of having multiple guitars, and should I get something?

What's the benefit of fokking multiple women? Why is that even a question?!?

Kidding actually. I used to own close to 20 guitars at once - mind you I was only playing 4 or 5 regularly. Different instruments steer you towards different musical paths, I find.

But these days I would argue that sticking with one instrument is better - you learn the instrument's idiosyncrasies in much finer detail and probably become a better musician because of that deep familiarity with your tool.

Now, if you play say, grindcore and folk-rock, I would recommend one electric and one acoustic.

:handshake:

Wading through the myriad of Gibsons (and fake Gibsons) is proving to be more difficult than I thought. I guess I will just have to go to a reputable dealer and get their help. I guess I can go over to the 12th fret at some point and try to enlist their help.