• Replies 83 Comments
  • Views 3,076 Views

CaliGirlNY

Insert Witty Title Here
Since
Feb 13, 2011
Score
Tokens
We all make typos and mistakes. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us. However, there have been some consistent common mistakes by multiple users. While I make errors as well, I once said unrelevant instead of irrelevant, and other mistakes, some of these common errors are bound to pop up in work emails, or resumes, and in other important situations. Making simple errors can, and likely will, discredit what you are saying and could hold you back. Here are the errors I keep seeing many of your make:

Your vs. You're
Your = replaces "my". Ex. "This is my pencil and this is your pencil."
You're = You are. Ex. "I am from California and you're from New York."

There, Their, They're
There = Place or abstract. Ex. "Your coat is on the chair over there" (place) or/and "It must be hard to live there" (abstract - not specific)
There can also be used with the "be" verb (to be: is, am, are, was, were). As in "There is an ice cream shop on Mission Street that has great gelato" or "I hear there are a lot of Chinese people in San Francisco."
Their = Belonging / possession. "My friends lost their tickets and can't get in." or "Their clothes were strewn all over after the orgy!"
They're = They+ Are. "They're going to pay for this!" "My parents told me they're getting a divorce."

Has vs. Have
Has = Someone else's possession or action. Third person singular. Ex. "Matty has a large cock" or "Bob has never been to Florida."
Have = Your possession or action. Use with Pronouns. Ex. "I have a big cock." or "I have been to Florida." "We have a meeting at noon."
Had = Past tense of have. "We had a meeting at noon. You missed it." "Matty had a large cock, but he is now transgender and had it removed."
Using these in contractions:
I have = I've
you have = you've
we have = we've
they have = They've
he has = he's
it has = it's
has not = hasn't
have not = haven't
had not = hadn't
In Question Use: "Have you been to Florida?" "Who has my pencil?"
NOTE: Never say have and got together. The word "got" is unnecessary. "I have got an iPhone" is "I have an iPhone." and "He has got a hot date" is "He has a hot date."
I could also talk about modal verbs and tenses, but I will leave that for later.

Some of you may think I'm trying to come off as smarter-than*-thou, but I assure you that some people reading this will [hopefully] learn something. I wouldn't want one of you to use a word wrong and have it cost you a job. In my industry and experience people don't get hired if they make this kind of mistake on a cover letter or in a resume.

*Than vs. Then can be our next lesson.

And, the BEST part of this whole post is that I wrote "grammer" instead of "grammar." I realize I made this error in the title. I didn't say it was a spelling lesson. Spelling is not my forte. But grammar is.

Cali I wonder if anyone has ever said the term "yuins" to you and how many stitches they left with

Kim Jong Un selling bbq in China

18Y1Cyx.jpg

yKjgh81.jpg

nc4vkam.jpg

8ihCt2Y.jpg

We all make typos and mistakes. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us. However, there have been some consistent common mistakes by multiple users. While I make errors as well, I once said unrelevant instead of irrelevant, and other mistakes, some of these common errors are bound to pop up in work emails, or resumes, and in other important situations. Making simple errors can, and likely will, discredit what you are saying and could hold you back. Here are the errors I keep seeing many of your make:

Your vs. You're
Your = replaces "my". Ex. "This is my pencil and this is your pencil."
You're = You are. Ex. "I am from California and you're from New York."

There, Their, They're
There = Place or abstract. Ex. "Your coat is on the chair over there" (place) or/and "It must be hard to live there" (abstract - not specific)
There can also be used with the "be" verb (to be: is, am, are, was, were). As in "There is an ice cream shop on Mission Street that has great gelato" or "I hear there are a lot of Chinese people in San Francisco."
Their = Belonging / possession. "My friends lost their tickets and can't get in." or "Their clothes were strewn all over after the orgy!"
They're = They+ Are. "They're going to pay for this!" "My parents told me they're getting a divorce."

Has vs. Have
Has = Someone else's possession or action. Third person singular. Ex. "Matty has a large cock" or "Bob has never been to Florida."
Have = Your possession or action. Use with Pronouns. Ex. "I have a big cock." or "I have been to Florida." "We have a meeting at noon."
Had = Past tense of have. "We had a meeting at noon. You missed it." "Matty had a large cock, but he is now transgender and had it removed."
Using these in contractions:
I have = I've
you have = you've
we have = we've
they have = They've
he has = he's
it has = it's
has not = hasn't
have not = haven't
had not = hadn't
In Question Use: "Have you been to Florida?" "Who has my pencil?"
NOTE: Never say have and got together. The word "got" is unnecessary. "I have got an iPhone" is "I have an iPhone." and "He has got a hot date" is "He has a hot date."
I could also talk about modal verbs and tenses, but I will leave that for later.

Some of you may think I'm trying to come off as smarter-than*-thou, but I assure you that some people reading this will [hopefully] learn something. I wouldn't want one of you to use a word wrong and have it cost you a job. In my industry and experience people don't get hired if they make this kind of mistake on a cover letter or in a resume.

*Than vs. Then can be our next lesson.

You're a little late with this thread. I've already discussed this in the past. My girl, Cami, has been spoken to.

And, the BEST part of this whole post is that I wrote "grammer" instead of "grammar." I realize I made this error in the title. I didn't say it was a spelling lesson. Spelling is not my forte. But grammar is.

Your sentence structure is atrocious!!!

Here you go:
And, the BEST part of this whole post is that I wrote "grammer," instead of "grammar." I just realized that I made this error in the title. I didn't say it was a spelling lesson. Spelling is not my forte. But grammar is.

Spelling is not my forte, but grammar is.

Just atrocious for a girl who claims to have won all kinds of marketing trophies.

Simply amazing thread. Hall Of Fame thread title, too.

:bowdown:

"While I make errors as well, I once said unrelevant instead of irrelevant, and other mistakes, some of these common errors are bound to pop up in work emails, or resumes, and in other important situations. "

Quite the sentence.

I once won a round of drinks in a bar for "most unusual talent" by naming all 23 linking verbs while intoxicated. (Cali calls them the "be" verbs-same thing)

To and too! This makes me think too hard in deciding!

Good thread here CGSF! I always get semi-excited waiting for a possible pic or vid but well done and it showed some effort on your part! Maybe forget further posting in the spiral thread and go other places? You have more to offer it seems!