• Replies 43 Comments
  • Views 3,044 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I mean your name in real life that your parents gave you.

I like my name a lot. Good solid name I think.

My gf often mentions how she dislikes her name. I suppose there is no harm in saying what it is. Jennifer. I call her Jen or Jenny.

Seems like a perfectly good name to me but I think some people are just going to dislike their name. Perhaps it relates directly to how much they like/dislike themselves. I don't think that is the case with my Jenny Jenny Bo Benny but I think it makes some sense.

Anyway I was just reading about someone whose parents named them Tulah Does The Hula In Hawaii and it got me wondering how people feel about their given names.

mines a family name, so i like it

I've always been fond of my name, both given and surname. Most of you know my Christian name is Peter, which is from the Greek "Petros" which means stone. I've always felt that it reflects my persnal qualities of implacability and steadfastness. Also, being seldom reticent to profess an unpopular opinion, the Biblical tale of how the Apostle Peter received his name seems equally reflective of me.

Peter's Confession of Christ

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Matthew 16:13-20 NIV

Peter was willing to risk being proven wrong but unwilling to risk being silent on a topic on which he had a conviction. That's one major example I've attempted to embody in my life.

Last edited:
When I was born my given/Christian name was in the top 10 in the UK. These days it is not even in the top 100.
I guess it is a bit old-fashioned but yes its OK.

2 GL points for the first person to correctly identify the most common given name in the UK in 2009. It is both shocking and not surprising.

It's the 15 variations of the spelling of Mohammed, Muhamed, Mohamad, etc etc.

I Like it

although there were 4 others with my name in 10th grade chem class... Brian K, Brian B, Brian M, (bm), and Brian somthing or other..... I was BS of course...

named after a famous king of Ireland Brian Boru, I like my name alot