• Views 2,835 Views

tacomax

l'enfer c'est les autres
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
**LONG POST ALERT - NO DIE ANTWOORD PICTURES IN THIS POST**

So I went to see Die Antwoord in Los Angeles the previous weekend and I fell victim to a spiked drink which resulted in me missing the entire show - that was OK, though, I'd seen them before. After seeing them at the Jimmy Kimmel thing, I needed to see them again. Mr/MrsX saw some weakness, doubleteamed me and persuaded me to buy an overpriced last minute air ticket despite my fear of flying. And the following are some of the highlights of the weekend when I went to see Die Antwoord in Detroit and I went to see Die Antwoord in Toronto.

* I don't fly well so I usually get really drunk. Imagine my drunken amazement when MrX and MrsX boarded at the last minute on my flight to Detroit, I thought I was hallucinating.

* Stayed a couchsurfing guys house in Detroit and as we arrived, a chap walked past with a bag o' crack in his hand. Down the street there was a house that was falling down. Welcome to Detroit. Before we left for Toronto, we had breakfast and walked to Starbucks and we walked past about 10 semi-homeless looking people sitting at a bus stop, a few of them drinking beer. One guy tried to get talking to me on the first pass by them - I presumed that he'd be wanting to tap me up for money which would make me feel bad for him as it always does so I didn't stop to talk. He got us on the way back and we were talking about AC/DC and Die Antwoord, it was random and awesome. And he didn't even ask for any money, I must stop pre-judging people.

2iigw21.jpg

* Two random couchsurfing chicks (Lunchbox and Pepper) got a ride from Cleveland to Detroit to get $20 for delivering a box of baby toys. They were high all weekend. They said they were 20 but gentle questioning revealed they were 17. They both thought I was gay, the redhead seem to like me a lot, I think it was my jimmy jams. They brought some poppers, that made me very happy. We went to a freaky deaky club on Friday night and they started talking to two guys who were not only the dodgiest looking people in the club but probably the dodgiest looking people in Detroit. I asked why they were talking them and they said they're getting free drinks. The beers were $2, I said I'd cover the rest of their beers if they stopped talking to the freaks. I hope and pray they get back to Cleveland safely.

jrxoqb.jpg

* The show on Saturday was awesome. After drinking a lot of Stella I met a guy who introduced me to some big bottles of beer which were $6 and with a strength of 8%. Everything that happened after that was a bit of a haze after four of those. The first support band was some kid with turntables and a crappy selection of music, they tried to make it performance art by having two other people paint a picture. It seemed to go on for hours and no matter how hard they tried, that picture never got any better. Then Rye Rye came on, MrsX is a big fan of them. We all pretended to like Rye Rye so we all loved Rye Rye and we were all really excited they were playing the next night as well. Die Antwoord were amazing, seemed a short set (it always does) but they played everything you wanted to hear. We got to meet them after the show and they signed stuff. I asked them to write the dirtiest words they could think of on a dollar bill. Yolandi wrote "poes" and Ninja wrote "hond naai". Yolandi Visser was very fancy close up. It was such a cool set of people in the audience, I talked to a ton of random people. Either I was effortlessly charming and entertaining or I just bugged the hell out of everyone I bumped into, I'm not quite sure. This picture sums up the vibe totally.

2yyb720.jpg

* Drove with Matty (he speaks French and everything) from Detroit to Toronto, he had zero sleep the previous night. I did my best to keep him entertained and awake but I ended up falling asleep halfway, I'm a bad co-pilot. We got to the hotel, checked in and were out within about 15 minutes. Matty had promised me some vegetarian poutine but he failed to deliver - he did deliver fiveteamer which was a good trade.

* After mucho beers and much waiting in line which was kept interesting by the homeless guy running for major we got in and were thankful the performance art people weren't appearing. The concert was awesome, natually. Rye Rye were actually better than Die Antwoord this time. Things got a bit rowdy in the waiting for coats line, the security were running through the narrow hall like madmen. On one of their little trips they just push everyone to the side, I put my arms out to make sure I didn't slam into the wall. Unfortunately it wasn't a wall but a recess that looked like a wall so I fell on the floor. Fortunately someone was kind enough to break my fall. Shortly afterwards, a guy got thrown out for calling someone "a homo" repeatedly and loudly. That was odd since the recipient of the insults was there with his girlfriend. Even more odd is that this is the guy who calls another guy "a homo".

21jd9ol.jpg

* After the concert me and the Xs got talking to a couple of girls who were the funniest double act ever. One looked like the singer from Elastica and the other did some awesome goat impressions which went down well with the Xs. One of them told me to quit using the fake accent and I had no comeback, I knew I was beaten. We all went back to fiveteamer's apartment and laughed a lot for an hour or so swapping tales of futuristic cigarettes. I hope we meet those girls again someday. I also found out that Matty is very rock 'n' roll. He doesn't use the laundry, he just throws away shirts when he's finished with them.

I think that's it. Attendees feel free to mention big things I might have missed. I'll post the concert pictures now.

kick ass diary

i can't believe the tank top hipster story

Pink headband guy looks the type to be up to troubles wherever he goes.

lolz, nice summary. You didn't talk about the CS host, CarrotTop the Sorcerer, his $13,000 house and his dodgy collection of recreational drugs. That guy was something else.

I thought everyone threw away their clothes after wearing them. This is Toronto pal, we can't be caught wearing the same thing twice.

At 6:30 I was in bed thinking about bailing.

Then I opened a beer.

Hey, there was one song I actually liked. I forget it now. They only sang like 3 songs. Anybody have the set list?

lolz, nice summary. You didn't talk about the CS host, CarrotTop the Sorcerer, his $13,000 house and his dodgy collection of recreational drugs. That guy was something else.

I bet that if you totally made up the name of a make believe drug he'd either have it or knew someone who did.

At 6:30 I was in bed thinking about bailing.

Give me some credit for bullying you into coming. You threatened to bail several times you poes. :bashing:

Note to self: the bully approach doesn't work with Mudcat. :sad:

Excellent. Sounds like you guys had an amazing time.

I bet I would have gotten along with Nathan the Sorceror just fine.

2yyb720.jpg

something really odd about that picture, maybe their smiles. You kind of assume people saying; "oink fucking oink" would have a different expression.

Sounds awesome...well the meeting up and partying with everyone part....I think it is great when posters hang. The concert wouldn't have been for me...but everything else sounds like a great time.

You would've enjoyed the show Amby. Most people who were there aren't even into that hip hop/rap/electronic music shit, myself very much included. But these guys just rock onstage.

You would've enjoyed the show Amby. Most people who were there aren't even into that hip hop/rap/electronic music shit, myself very much included. But these guys just rock onstage.

Good deal....glad you guys had a great time.