• Start date
  • Replies 92 Comments
  • Views 6,408 Views

Boner_18

Since
Oct 5, 2010
Score
Tokens
22 dead and counting in 2.5mo. Blitty what's going on out there?

Begs the questions, how many is too many? How many is an acceptable amount?

We've come a long way in the horse death sense but at the end of the day its still comoditzing animals for entertainment, some horses gonna die.

Nope. Flat track in so. CA. Gorgeous one at that. Something wrong with the racing and training surface in conjunction with record rainfall and weakness in the breed (particularly Cal-breds), producing relatively high on-track breakdown rates.

Not a good look for the sport... though it begs the second question I have, how many deaths are a good look (or at least a no look)?

Nope. Flat track in so. CA. Gorgeous one at that. Something wrong with the racing and training surface in conjunction with record rainfall and weakness in the breed (particularly Cal-breds), producing relatively high on-track breakdown rates.

Not a good look for the sport... though it begs the second question I have, how many deaths are a good look (or at least a no look)?
You mentioned the record rainfall. I'm assuming that much rainfall could produce soft spots on the track maybe?

And to answer your 2nd question, in my home state they tried to unsuccessfully ban steeplechase after a report came out that stated that in normal jumps racing the avg was 1 death per 1000 starts, whereas steeplechase had on avg 14 deaths per 1000 starts. Still didn't get shutdown because the cost of losing the industry outweighed some dead horses...

Am no expert but on balance of probabilities this has to lean towards the spotty softness of the wet track from excessive rain. What else could it be?

Greyhound racing has been shutdown because the people making living off of it weren't very important, IE didn't bring in enough 💰 . So all of a sudden everybody cared about well being of dogs. 🐴 might see similar fate. Although there still seems to be a lot of rich bastids involved who wouldn't be too happy if the gambling public stopped subsidizing their good time.

They bought in the old groundskeeper a week ago. Only one death since. Lot to do w weather and sloppy track.

Hard track to bet this meet

Wow! No idea that the condition of a track surface could injure or even kill a horse!

It’s a babaric mockery of a ‘sport’.

How many magnificent large dog-like creatures must die for your gawking entertainment?

I hope some brave billionaire consortium steps in and puts a stop to this primitive past time.

English Soul will go to an equine therapy center to retire.

English Soul will not be put down. :nope:

Between the gate trouble and late scratch, lost rider and your horses dq (just noticed this now) it was a shitty race. The inside track on Rally Cap is hes a horny little guy and gets all worked up in the post parade (tried to mount a pony on the ride out two back). They're gonna geld him, maybe get one more race in while hes eligible for a starters bonus, then it's off with his nuts.

For what it's worth I wouldn't ever bet him as a face (<5/2). Right now hes a high claimer at best.

The filly I have a piece of, i hope they start her 1 turn on the turf first back. If that's the case, I'm sure she'll be 6-1 or better depending on the class level. If that's the case i'ma unload on her to hit the board. She looks beastly at the farm and shes an absolute machine.