Curling

• Start date
  • Replies 216 Comments
  • Views 19,252 Views
Until December, that's kind of too big a break. These people have regular jobs?

That is the break for people like me who are just interesting in Canadian/World Championships (and Olympics). My season is basically just March/April (with the extra stuff in Olympic years).

For the curlers and other more general fans, there is no such break. It is a lot like golf. There are tournaments every weekend for most of the year and all kinds of novelty events.

Most of the top curlers have jobs although that is slowly changing. I don't think there has been a strictly professional Canadian team yet. Internationally, there is an increasing number of state sponsored full-time curlers. The Chinese teams are like that. This Swedish team that just won the worlds are fully sponsored professional curlers.

Plus money for cash events is always increasing. Not that it is outrageous - but a top curler could make, I dunno 50K/year ?? That's not counting novelty TV events like Skins Games which have big money (but only a few teams are invited).

Plus there are endorsements for the top recognizable faces.

There is always some controversy about the amount of money going to curlers for the Brier/Worlds considering the huge TV ratings.

There have been changes but many people would like more.

The Canadian Olympic trials are now on with the playoffs this weekend. Brad Jacobs, about whom I was complaining so bitterly in this thread as last year's Canadian rep at the World Championships, has clinched the top seed and a spot in the final game.

:facepalm:

I mean, he plays so well at these things but he folded like a cheap suit at the worlds last year. I have no confidence (plus he just doesn't come off as a likable guy). I would REALLY prefer defending Olympic Gold Medalist and multi-World-Champion and basically best-of-all-time, Kevin Martin to wear the Maple Leaf. He's in 2nd spot so would have to win a semi and then beat Jacobs.

That's what I'm looking for.

:curling:

Yap.

The womens semi-final is on now. There are pluses and minuses to all the remaining 3 contenders but I guess I prefer Jennifer Jones who has the 1 seed and is already in tomorrow's final with last rock. She is a former world champ and multi-Canadian champ.

In general, I care a lot less about the women's game however the Olympics are a different sort of thing. Medals are all basically equal. I don't like to watch as much but I want that gold. I guess I like Jones' chances best.

Go Jones.

Mens semis are tomorrow and final on Sunday.

:canada:

to me total medals 50% of the importance and hockey alone is the other 50%

I root for Martin if he makes it, unless he's playing Russia.

Hockey and Curling here. Hockey a notch more important.

3 golds and one silver in Vancouver so that was a good one. Should have been 4 golds but the women curlers just coughed it up.

Then there is everything else. Not to minimize the importance. I can get right into those obscure ridiculous sports at the time.

For me, overall, it would be like this:

Hockey - 50%
Curling - 40%
Everything else - 40%

:handshake:

Okay. Martin with an early 2-0 lead in the semi. Need you to follow through with it buddy.

images

No such luck. Martin is out. Morris vs Jacobs in tomorrow's final.

So okay.

We got Jennifer Jones on the ladies side. That's fine.

Brad Jacobs for the men.

The guy just keeps kicking ass at these Canadian Championships. Wins last year's Brier in a field stacked with former world champs. Now this was a tournament of nothing but all-stars and he goes through undefeated. He's a young guy and looks like he could be a big, big part of our future.

Just gotta hold it together in Sochi a helluva lot better than last year's worlds in Victoria.

And okay. All my fretting was in vain. 2 gold medals at the Olympics.

Now I know a lot of people here are afraid curling is all done now, but in fact the Brier (Canadian mens curling championship) is currently going on and is in the playoff stage - leading to the yearly world championships coming up shortly.

Rachel Homan from Ontario will again represent Canada at the Ladies' worlds (hopefully with better results than last year).

The thing I am wondering: will any of the teams from the Olympics also represent their countries at the worlds. Probably. I would be amazed if it was not the same Chinese teams. Maybe some others too.

As Brad Jacobs isn't even participating in the Brier, we know both Canadian teams will be different. I don't know if either team could have given the double-represent a shot if they really wanted to. Like I don't know if Jacobs' Provincial playdowns were going on at the same time as the Olympics making it impossible.

Or maybe even if it is logistically possible, there is a focus factor and they just say, no, I'm focusing on the Olympics and that's it.

I also don't know if there is just a rule that says no, not allowed to do it.

But I bet some countries will have the same reps.

Anyhoo, curling season is NOT over peeps.

:curling:

Kevin Koe from Alberta won the Brier by the way.

Pronounced KOO-ee

Kevin KOO-ee.

The Canadian women, Rachel Homan's rink from Ontario, are through to tomorrow's final of the Ford World Championships in Saint John, New Brunswick. Canada has earned the top seed with an 11-1 record and will have last rock advantage to begin the Gold Medal game. Start time is 6:30 pm.

RachelHoman.jpeg

Prime Minister Stephen Harper attempting to "do work" with our curling babes.

MG_7691.jpg