Curling

• Start date
  • Replies 216 Comments
  • Views 19,180 Views
Being as they are playing at the highest levels, I assume they have their own special curling shoes. It would be kind of tragic if they were just making do with whatever shoes they can find. Like bowling shoes or whatever, there is no physical reason you can't walk around in them anywhere, but they are curling shoes with special properties in the soles having to do with slidability/gription on ice.

Those are some fine looking Canadian women.

Tell me something I don't know. I have the hots for the blonde with glasses. I got a thing for the slightly nerdy glasses look and, as a front end player, she has quite a body on her.

I watch her sweeping and it's all like, "Oh, baby."

They did not win, by the way, our Canadian hunnies. Switzerland beat them in the final.

Switzerland is funny. They are usually a minimal factor but just every once in awhile they jump up and do something - on both the men's and women's sides.

This was one of those times.

curling-o.gif

Jennifer Jones, the perpetrator of that ninja curling gif a couple posts up, has won the Canadians and will represent us at the worlds this year. It is her 5th Canadian championship. Now it is easier to rack up titles on the womens side - compared to mens - because the winner gets automatically invited back the following year as team Canada - whereas the men champions have to battle through their regionals and provincials all over again every year.

But anyway, Jennifer Jones, 5x. That's not counting her winning the national Olympic trials on her way to a gold medal in Sochi.

So she's a good one.

:canada::curling:

Brier 2015 (mens Canadian championships) started yesterday and runs thru this week.

Brad Jacobs, our Olympic Gold medalist from Sochi and bright shining light for the future qualified for Northern Ontario and is sitting at 2-0 in the round robin right now.

Noice.

it is easier to rack up titles on the womens side - compared to mens - because the winner gets automatically invited back the following year as team Canada - whereas the men champions have to battle through their regionals and provincials all over again every year.

I lied. The defending champion now automatically returns as Team Canada on the men's side too. Must have just changed in the last year.

Good move IMO. Good change.

Anyhoo, Jacobs sailing along at 5-0.

:megaman:

Final of the Brier is later today. Brad Jacobs of Northern Ontario versus the Morris rink who are playing as Team Canada as returning champions.

Very good match-up. Canada cannot go wrong.

Cheering for Jacobs myself.

:curling:

Morris rink repeats as champions.

Did not win the worlds last year tho. Got slightly overlooked because Jacobs was winning an Olympic Gold Medal.

Not trying to be a dick but gotta win the worlds this year and no mistake.

:fearpanic:

Morris rink repeats as champions.

Did not win the worlds last year tho. Got slightly overlooked because Jacobs was winning an Olympic Gold Medal.

Not trying to be a dick but gotta win the worlds this year and no mistake.

:fearpanic:

Actually it wasn't Morris's rink last year. Morris was on Cotter's team. (BC)

Kevin Koe was the skip and for whatever reason restocked his team with "better" players. The remaining three members retained the
Team Canada title and took in Morris to skip the rink. Koe had to re-qualify to get back to this years Brier.

Fitting that the remaining three actually beat Koe in the round robin before making the playoff run.

I know.

And I'm saying those guise GOTTA WIN THE WORLDS!

Failure is not an option and whatnot.

notanoption.jpg

Women's World Championships has been going on this week from Sapporo/Hokkaido Japan.

Russia and their hot skip have made a breakthrough, finishing 3rd after the round robin. So they made the playoffs and are currently playing Scotland in the 3-4 page playoff game.

Loser is OUT. Scotland is a long-time traditional power but Russia is leading 3-2 with hammer as we speak.

Canada finished 2nd in the round robin with a 9-2. Fokken Switzerland were 10-1. So those 2 will play the 1 versus 2 page game later.

So that's your curling news.

The good news is, Canada is in the gold medal game of the Women's World Championships.

The bad news is, it is in Japan and starts at 2 am EST.

So it will be last year's Olympic Gold Medalist - Jennifer Jones from Canada, versus last year's world champion, Switzerland, although it was a different rink representing the Swiss last year.

Switzerland has defeated Canada twice this week - in the round robin, then the 1-versus-2 page playoff.

However in the world rankings, the Jones rink is #1 while this Swiss rink is #8.

I would like to watch it but 2 am for women's curling?

Don't think so.

Nope.

Swiss program continues to make huge strides. 3 of the last 4 they have won on the women's side.

I hate those fokken Swiss SO MUCH!

:mudcat:

Canadian men tied for the lead at 7-1 in the men's worlds.

Although technically they are second because Norway, with whom they are tied, beat them so they have the tiebreaker.

Canada currently leading the Scots 3-zip. Traditional power Scotland is having a disappointing week, sitting at 3-5 going into this game.

The 12 team round robin winds up in a couple days and then the playoffs are this weekend from Halifax.

:canada:

:curling:

Canada and Norway both finished the round robin at 10-1. They faced each other in the 1 versus 2 page playoff game, just completed.

Fokken Norway beat them again - as they did in the round robin.

So now Canada has to beat the winner of the 3 versus 4 page playoff (Sweden versus Finland) to get to the gold medal game and a third crack at Ulsrud and the snazzy Norwegians.

Thomas_Ulsrud_875440a.jpg