Curling

• Start date
  • Replies 216 Comments
  • Views 19,116 Views
Curling basics:

Curling%20how%20to%20play.gif
a1.gif

So you're ready to grab a broom and start curling? Wait a second. Like any sport, you need to talk the talk before you walk the walk. Let's brush up on some of the major curling terms...

Light: A stone thrown at a low speed.

Hack: Similar to a starting block in track and field; the foothold the player throwing the rock uses to push off. Hurry Hard! A command to sweep immediately and urgently.

Hog Rock: A stone removed from play because it doesn’t reach the requisite distance. “Peel that guard so we can get in the house.”

Funny Expression Peel: A hard throw.

Guard: A stone that comes to rest in front of another stone to protect it from the other team’s shots.

House: The 12-foot, eight-foot and four-foot rings at each end of the ice where players land rocks to score. “Freeze to that rock on the hammer and we’re trying to blank the end.”

Freeze: A stone coming to rest at the point where it merely touches another stone.

The Hammer: The last shot of each end, or round of curling.

Blank End: A situation wherein neither team scores in an end

I get a vague sense that was written by someone with an incomplete understanding the game. It's basically okay - not great, but okay - except for this sentence which doesn't make any sense at all:

“Freeze to that rock on the hammer and we’re trying to blank the end.”

So Rachel Homan's team from Ontario is now wearing the red and white, representing Canada at the Women's World Championships in Riga, Latvia

8113131.bin

The round robin is complete and Canada finished with a very respectable 8-3 record but it was only good for the #3 spot as Sweden and Scotland both kicked some ass to finish at 10-1. So Canada will need to win 3 straight elimination games to take it all. First is the 3 vs 4 page playoff, at 8 am tomorrow (EDT).

My the force be with you.

:scholar:

thats almost kind of sexy :up: I assume they a re yelling "hard" too while this is going on

Well they would be yelling hard on the shots that require hard sweeping. Otherwise not. They don't just randomly shout HARD for the sake of being suggestive.

I do have a thing for girls in glasses and this year's Team Canada is good for that.

This girl (Alison Kreviazuk) looks to be yelling HARD.

IMG_9919.jpg

Missed opportunity in the 6th end. Canada was well set up for 3 but ended up barely getting the deuce.

Canada leads USA 6-3 after 6. USA now has hammer.

Well we won and move on to the semis against Scotland. Only a 2 hour break though which means that game is basically starting RIGHT NOW!

:canada:

Game has been neck and neck every step of the way but Canada has taken a slight advantage forcing the single in the 7th then taking the deuce in the 8th.

Canada up 1 but without hammer in the 9th. Still could go either way.

One thing my juvenile mind finds striking. Apparently there is a major sponsor for this event called Titlis. You see Titlis signage around the rink.

The Scottish girls have Titlis crests on their shirts and jackets. We keep getting shots of these girls and they have big labels on them that say Titlis.

Titlis.

tee hee

All tied up in the 10th, Canada with hammer.

LET'S DO THIS !!!

Nope. Scotland steals in the 10th and moves on to the final against Sweden.

You talkin to me?

Hell I dunno.

The big tournament is the men's which starts next week (but it will all be on TV here).

This girl (Alison Kreviazuk) looks to be yelling HARD.

IMG_9919.jpg

Muddy, isn't she the daughter of the Hansen brother on the left? Look at the resemblance! Athletic genes!

tumblr_lnu27rJqB61qgjdgeo1_400.jpg

Canadian men sitting alone in 1st place at the Worlds in Victoria BC. 3-0 after defeating China, Finland and the very tough Scots.

Matches today against Switzerland and USA.

Go hosers!

At what time does it starts? I'm going to look for a stream when it's on.

Well sir, Canada plays Switzerland at 2 local time - which is Pacific time - which is 5 my time (EST)

Then the USA game is at 7 PST, 10 EST