Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 172,847 Views
I love the idea that because the stock market is down 30% and AMC and United are going to either restructure or go under translates to millionaires getting slaughtered. Especially if you look past the next 18 months.

My household is definitely making financial gains in this environment and we're not in the super rich group. As long as we both keep our jobs (fiance and law seem to be booming actually), we've invested a bunch of $ that will surely be plus in 5+ years (even just by keeping our 401k contributions up). And when it's done there will be a glut of workers clambering over one another just to get a paycheck. The power wielded by even the smallest hiring budget will be much greater than before.

Yeah, no question that the millionaires and billionaires will come out of this a hell of a lot better than the lower and middle classes. That's always the case. Perhaps "slaughtered" wasn't the right word, but the facts remain... not all businesses are going to get bailed out. And those that do will still face financial repercussions. AND the lower and middle class getting fucked so hard by all of this means they'll have less money to spend, which will have a huge negative effect on a ton of industries that were booming a few months ago. You really think this current course of action is one that they would collectively choose? If they controlled the media and could blow this off as no big deal and keep everything open that they wouldn't have chosen that path instead? The fact that they will survive and rebuild doesn't change the fact that it's hurting them a lot more than it's helping them, and there will be plenty of business casualties that come from it.

Kudos to you and the misses! I'm fortunate enough that me and my fiancee are doing well, too. There obviously isn't a one-size-fits-all financial, emotional, or physical result of what's going on. But it's hard to argue it isn't a huge net negative (and will be for years to come) overall.

I think you are overlooking confidence intervals.
The IHME model has a confidence interval of 35,000 to 165,000 total US deaths by May 24 for example.

Vegas Dave, is it safe to assume that you agree that you were overlooking the confidence interval aspect of the IHME model?

Updated IHME model shows essentially no new COVID-19 deaths by June 1, 2020 assuming continued social distancing through May 2020

Vegas Dave, is it safe to assume that you agree that you were overlooking the confidence interval aspect of the IHME model?

Outstanding hedge, sir.

I was just curious because you called IHME a useless model and then when I pointed out the confidence intervals I never heard back from you.

I honestly thought I'd responded, but I must have left it unsent. Obviously I see the confidence intervals. But even with them, I still firmly disagree with what the model found; that deaths just completely fall off the map. Even in their WORST CASE SCENARIO they predict under 1000 deaths per day by May 11, under 500 by May 18, and virtually zero by June 1. Does this still seem like a worst case scenario to you?

My issue with it has always been it's magical assumption that this thing just goes away. It has actually been fairly on the money to this point... hope it continues that way and coronavirus randomly decides to bounce, but don't see how this occurs.

So MEN are dying at a much higher rate of this virus than women. In China its 70% men as of now.

Where are the feminists demanding gender equality? Plommer thinks more broads need to die in order for this virus to be fair.

Chant it with me fellas:
Equal death for equal illness!!

Caligurl, what say you, pal?

So MEN are dying at a much higher rate of this virus than women. In China its 70% men as of now.

Where are the feminists demanding gender equality? Plommer thinks more broads need to die in order for this virus to be fair.

Chant it with me fellas:

Caligurl, what say you, pal?

Hahaha Jordan Peterson always makes this point when confronted by feminists who DEMAND EQUALITY in government... why don't they ever DEMAND EQUALITY on manual labor jobs?? Surely the ratio of brick layers is skewed too heavily towards men...

Hahaha Jordan Peterson always makes this point when confronted by feminists who DEMAND EQUALITY in government... why don't they ever DEMAND EQUALITY on manual labor jobs?? Surely the ratio of brick layers is skewed too heavily towards men...
Yes the crazy feminists cherry pick what things should be "equal" among genders. Feminism in the west - first world countries is a joke, these women want all the advantages of being male without the disadvantages while also enjoying the advantages of being female.

In fairness modern day feminists are a small group of very vocal broads. Thankfully most women (I know) don't describe themselves as "feminist" and are sensible and embrace common sense.

The way they present arguments is laughable. They will use facts that are very specific and just a sub set of the true numbers. For example they will say that women are x amount more likely to die at the hands of their partner and that may be true, but if you look at an areas homicides in a year its men that get killed at a much higher rate than women. Men kill way more men than they do women.

Western broads are living at the best possible time to be female but some are still bitching. Perhaps they should try living in Saudi Arabia or Africa and see how they feel about their current views of how things are for women where they currently reside.

Yeah Peterson, I like how he explains things. He's right, women aren't complaining about the lack of ditch diggers or cab drivers that are women, but CEO's? Yeah gotta have more female CEO's.

Feminists pretend working class jobs don't exist. It's 100% a middle- and upper-class thing.

not women, pal, feminists. I used the word women in the earlier post and that was wrong. I meant feminists.
I'm generally supportive of feminism, historically and what not. I think the meaning of words have changed so much now, that who knows what's what :dunno: Yeah the privileged twats who compete with their douchey male counterparts for corporate jobs to serve the empire, don't inspire me much.

They not exactly the women of the Russian revolution.
1587607635427.png

It's like anything else, it's just taken too far.

Women deserve equal pay for same job, the right not to be passed over for jobs they are qualified for due to their sex? Yeah, obviously, sign me and most reasonable folks up.

All men are fucking assholes and women should be GIVEN these cushy jobs just to even things out even if there are more qualified men for them? Hmm maybe not.

Can’t wait to watch Mrs. America.
Feminism vs Cate Blanchett what a fokken dream

i got my walgreens pulse oximeter and im going to be metering my oxi through my pulse :dance:

oximeter.jpg

also i got a costco subscription thing and...

that shit is just like wal mart, why do white people like costco so much?

it's the same store brand repackaging shit as wal mart

@Matty machu why these white people like shopping at costco and snub wal mart? i was expecting some mythical land

highly disappointed 3 out 10 Matty Rains

also casper's zoom party 8pm est be there or be quare

@Matty machu why these white people like shopping at costco and snub wal mart? i was expecting some mythical land

yeah I never got it either, it's like a Walmart where you need a card :dunno: ...and there's more obnoxious hoarders.

that zoom idea is wild. I don't know how I feel about seeing posters on a screen, after all this time. I'd probably do it if there was enough interest though. ...what the hell would we talk about? :hmm:

Can’t wait to watch Mrs. America.
Feminism vs Cate Blanchett what a fokken dream

Tron plugged this in Movies and TV Thread AND this thread, both times in bold, looks like someone is crushing on Cate Blanchett!

i got my walgreens pulse oximeter and im going to be metering my oxi through my pulse :dance:

View attachment 3234

Yeah Costco is super overrated. $4.99 whole rotisserie chickens are on point though. Their food court is also really good.

Bulk deals are hit or miss. Some really good ones, but most are indeed not much better than Walmart. I think the 3/10 Matty Rains score is fair, maybe bump it up to a 4/10 when you find some good deals (vitamins and protein shakes among them) and enjoy the food court.

P.S. Was the whole point of this post/picture just to flick us off?

yeah I never got it either, it's like a Walmart where you need a card :dunno: ...and there's more obnoxious hoarders.

that zoom idea is wild. I don't know how I feel about seeing posters on a screen, after all this time. I'd probably do it if there was enough interest though. ...what the hell would we talk about? :hmm:

LOL good point Reno would be so odd all of us just sitting on Zoom wondering wtf is going on.

That's how SBR meet up party was... lots of just standing around and bad beat stories.

Costco was a status thing for my family growing up. Having a Costco card meant that you were upper-working-class. Put on a clean shirt and you could even pass for lower-middle if you kept the fart jokes to a minimum.

But I think the wider appeal is just pricing and bulk packaging. When you have 3 or 4 kids you ain't buying one jar of Nutella at a time, you need a 4-pack and you want wholesale pricing.

Plus a Costco card meant you could justify buying a big car/minivan to haul all that shit. We had a Ford Aerostar.

Walmart is for the plebs. Costco is for the plebs who think they fancy. It's a lifestyle.