Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 170,418 Views
Archie, your posts are a good example of how people like to create a sensation, and work themselves into hysterics with the help of misleading information.
According to Fauci, all viruses mutate, but there has been no evidence that the mutations here have had any effect on it's characteristics.
Anybody catching the virus twice is likely to have very mild symptoms.
This obsession with surgical masks :rolleyes: The shortage of that cannot last for long, if it even still exists. Perhaps they can make masks out of the toilet paper.

But lets talk about the effects of the restrictive laws, and how exactly they're making everything great. How they are stopping the spread and saving lives. Is it really better (from the virus standpoint) to have people huddle at walmarts versus going about their normal lives? I wanna see a real discussion of actual benefits of various measures.
...Just saying how bad the virus is does not mean all restrictions are right and the more the better.
Everything's already shutdown anyway, but somehow it's the people who are opposed to the shutdowns are to blame for the virus spreading? :dunno:

2016 United States Physicians

Under 30- 16,519 1.9%
30-39 -184,120 21.7%
40-49 -214,595 25.2%
50-59 -215,541 22.5%
60-69 -138,815 16.3%
70+ -75,627 8.9%

how many physicians dying or put into permanent retirement from CV due to prolonged repeated exposure and lack of PPE would worry you?

zero wouldn't worry me.... 950,000 I'd just shoot myself.

gotta be a number in between where everyone would start to worry and feel very real effects for a long time in their daily life. not to mention health insurance costs.

what is your number?

10,000? 95,000?

we are already facing a future issue here

The United States will see a shortage of up to nearly 122,000 physicians by 2032 as demand for physicians continues to grow faster than supply, according to new data published today by the AAMC (Association of American Medical

I don't know if worry helps anything. Doing the right thing and the best you can is what matters.

Build hospitals, make supplies, that's probably where the concentration of effort should be. Interesting how everybody was saying how China instituted "draconian" measures etc.. But it was acceptable there because, you know, they don't value freedom. 60 million were on lockdown. That's like 3% of the population. We have 100%.

just to keep things in perspective. Currently about 1 in 50,000 Americans is having serious symptoms or worse from c19

Hospitals don't matter if you don't have doctors and nurses.

Its not about worry. Worry is a symptom of numbers and facts, using available information.

at what fact level of Physician deaths. Would it be a problem?

how much are you willing to pay out of pocket for your health care as you age?

Good discussions going on here. 👍 Much better than the take-your-ball-and-go-home approach.

They were saying they didn't have enough beds :dunno:
I've had a fair amount of dealing with doctors, and honestly I'm not sure what takes up most of their time. It's not like they're standing over their patients all day. Perhaps there's a way to delegate more to less qualified workers.
The problems should be addressed, but let's do it smartly, to cause least amount of harm. All I'm saying.
I'd rather die doing what I want, what I think is right. Then die, tied to a bed because of some well meaning, but shortsighted, advice

I'm not sure what takes up most of their time.
The problems should be addressed, but let's do it smartly, to cause least amount of harm.

I agree with the above portions. I too think we need to do this smartly, and take a few days/weeks to really think it out with the best minds. Because we know we have econonmy crash on one hand. If we put that problem as the new focus, how much do the impending deaths crash our economy AND our health care. Its a tight rope with many complex inter connected repercussions that will ripple through all sectors of business and quality of life that need to be sorted through and thought through.
some of the experts in the health care side are weighing in.

"To be a week into these restrictions and already be talking about abandoning them is irresponsible and dangerous" , said Tom Inglseby, director of Johns Hopkins Center for Health and Security. "Removing restrictions now would allow the virus, to spread widely, rapidly, terribly, and could kill potentially millions in the year ahead with huge social and economic impact."

Dr. Inglesby
is the Director of the Center for Health Security of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Center for Health Security is dedicated to protecting people’s health from the consequences of epidemics and disasters. Dr. Inglesby is also a Professor in the Department of Environmental Health and Engineering in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, with a Joint Appointment in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Inglesby's work is internationally recognized in the fields of public health preparedness, pandemic and emerging infectious disease, and prevention of and response to biological threats. He was Chair of the Board of Scientific Counselors, Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from 2010-2019. He served as Chair of the National Advisory Council of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s National Health Security Preparedness Index. He was a member of the CDC Director’s External Laboratory Safety Workgroup, which examined biosafety practices of the CDC, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) following high-profile laboratory incidents in federal agencies. He was on the 2016 Working Group assessing US biosecurity on behalf of the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST). He has served on committees of the Defense Science Board, the National Academies of Sciences, and the Institute of Medicine, and in an advisory capacity to NIH, BARDA, DHS, and DARPA.
Dr. Inglesby has authored or co-authored more than 140 publications, including peer-reviewed research, reports, and commentaries on issues related to health security, preparedness for epidemics, biological threats, and disasters. He is Editor-in-Chief of the peer-reviewed journal Health Security, which he helped establish in 2003. He was a principal editor of the JAMA book Bioterrorism: Guidelines for Medical and Public Health Management.
Dr. Inglesby completed his internal medicine and infectious diseases training at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he also served as Assistant Chief of Service in 1996-97. Dr. Inglesby received his MD from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and his BA from Georgetown University. He sees patients in a weekly infectious disease clinic.

Dr. Inglesby is the Director of the Center for Health Security of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Center for Health Security is dedicated to protecting people’s health from the consequences of epidemics and disasters. Dr. Inglesby is also a Professor in the Department of Environmental Health and Engineering in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, with a Joint Appointment in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Inglesby's work is internationally recognized in the fields of public health preparedness, pandemic and emerging infectious disease, and prevention of and response to biological threats. He was Chair of the Board of Scientific Counselors, Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from 2010-2019. He served as Chair of the National Advisory Council of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s National Health Security Preparedness Index. Dr. Inglesby learned medicine by practicing surgery on a Mr. Potato head and his kindergarten teacher has been quoted as saying "he was one of first in the class to start using the potty like a big boy.". He was a member of the CDC Director’s External Laboratory Safety Workgroup, which examined biosafety practices of the CDC, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) following high-profile laboratory incidents in federal agencies. He was on the 2016 Working Group assessing US biosecurity on behalf of the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST). He has served on committees of the Defense Science Board, the National Academies

Wha?!?!?

Good discussions going on here. 👍 Much better than the take-your-ball-and-go-home approach.

Glad you are enjoying it. What have you learned from Archie's posts that have informed you to change some of your views on the topic?

This obsession with surgical masks

fok that! mask as are good, everyone should use them when sick pandemia or not

people are fucking nasty, it took a federal health agency to get people to wash their hands

have you ever been in a public bathroom, majority walks out without washing their hands nasty motherfuckers, specially old fuks older they are dirtier they get

:lol: I'm saying the shortage of them cannot be an insurmountable problem. The world can find a way to make 50 billion pieces of paper with strings in short order.
Just cause people are told to wash their hands doesn't mean they don't, or that they haven't previously. ...I do seem to remember a thread at sbr, where it became clear that many people stand up to wipe their ass :dunno: that was a little concerning

the shortages of doctors?

Doctors and Nurses and Ventilators (complex to make are the issues now)

Masks will run out soon, they are also a problem. You would think it would be easy to fix. But as of yet its not been corrected.

in chicago our tv studios just donated thousands of them to a few cook county hospitals that were having to make their own much inferior masks