Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 173,040 Views
Amazing these assholes are trying to stall Trump's plan to give people cash. I think they gonna try to tie it in to taxes or some bs bureaucracy where people don't actually get shit. (kinda like the obamacare). Hard to believe we used to think that Democrats were supposed to be for the little guy. Wow!

free shit from government? if any American takes a free coronavirus test they are fuxking communist

Yes Tron, he is discussing this at today's briefing, where the country getting back to work while combating the virus! If US doesn't get back to work, consequences could be greater than the virus itself! Financial collapse of course, but think during the stock market crash leading to the Great Depression, how many people committed suicide? Compare that number to the total deaths from the flu! Tron, i believe you're right on target when all is said and done that the death % won't be nearly as high as some pundits are predicting!

yes saw that article. About time more people start talking about relaxing the stupidity. Trump gonna have to do it. If you leave it to the other assholes they're not gonna be happy till we're all tied down to our beds

So I guess we find out tomorrow if we are officially an essential service (and therefore we can stay open for business).

Uline in the states has been declared an essential service.

Trump is only worried about the economic ramifications of this because he knows they will hurt his chances of getting re-elected.

This has been a half-baked, knee-jerk reaction from the beginning. Backtracking now is just going to ensure that this gets spread to the entire population. The long-term damage to the economy is already done... now we are just on our way to the worst of both worlds.

But I mean I'm just shocked by this thread overall.

Yes, it's a complicated issue that is going to have devastating economic effects on families and businesses alike.

But we can't just say "fuck public health" and let hundreds of thousands of people die. This is the type of thing we need to buckle down and get through and then figure out how to rebuild from after. Resources are already in shambles... you think purposefully spreading this to everyone is a reasonable solution?

But I mean I'm just shocked by this thread overall.

Yes, it's a complicated issue that is going to have devastating economic effects on families and businesses alike.

But we can't just say "fuck public health" and let hundreds of thousands of people die. This is the type of thing we need to buckle down and get through and then figure out how to rebuild from after. Resources are already in shambles... you think purposefully spreading this to everyone is a reasonable solution?

You shouldn’t be shocked if you really believe it’s a complicated issue.

I believe it’s an extremely complicated issue.

I’d go so far as to say it’s the most complicated issue I will be a part of in my lifetime.

Because how do you quantify the effect of a sustained obliterated economy will have on “public health”?

I don’t know the answer to that. I feel like the suicide rate would jump for an extended period of time, no? I’m fortunate in that I own a home and have a monthly defined benefit pension but how long can a family of 4 that has one or two unemployed bread winners survive this?

How sure are you that “hundreds of thousands” of people will die if we slowly start letting people go back to work?

There is a scenario where those 60+ receive aid and shelter-in-place.

How sure are you that “hundreds of thousands” of people will die if we slowly start letting people go back to work?

About as sure as you are of all of your rhetoric.

But whatever, I'm going to gracefully check out of this thread. No one is going to change their mind about anything. So you guys can keep downplaying the disease in peace.

But whatever, I'm going to gracefully check out of this thread. No one is going to change their mind about anything. So you guys can keep downplaying the disease in peace.

That’s an odd way to show grace!

Have a good night, Dave.

I definitely agree that no one will change their mind on this.

:peace:

That’s an odd way to show grace!

Have a good night, Dave.

I definitely agree that no one will change their mind on this.

:peace:

Oh compared to the things I WANT to say this was very graceful! Haha.

Hopefully all of us and our friends and families get through this, whatever the next few weeks and months look like.

but how long can a family of 4 that has one or two unemployed bread winners survive this?

That's it in a nutshell for me! I mean just about everything seems to be shut down! I go in for my morning Wawa coffee and it's relatively a ghost town when normally packed! You can't even get your own coffee! They make it for you and they can't hand it to you! Just put it on the counter!

yeah. remember the whole flattening the curve? The whole point was to slow the spread to not overwhelm the system and give time to prepare. It was never intended to stop the virus. Probably the most effective measure to that end was restricting international travel.
The smart approach is to limit some things, within reason. The idea that everything should shutdown in a desperate attempt to "flatten the curve" without weighing risks and benefits is idiotic. And those panic driven individuals who like to pretend they are helping people, are in fact doing more harm than good.

I don't feel we're downplaying the disease. Consider that you may be downplaying the negative effects of the shutdowns. Any lengths of time this goes on tens of millions will be devastated in the US alone. Somehow I don't envision anybody crying for the broke and homeless when the virus passes. They will likely just build more jails. And that to me is the bigger tragedy.

No one is going to change their mind about anything.

I've changed my mind like 4 times since the thread started, it's the only thing we can do

to be sure of anything with this thing would be foolish of me

I don't think all the world's governments have chosen to tank their economies just to save lives. I think they've looked at the situation and decided that they could either tank the economy and likely keep the disease under some control or let the disease spread quickly and still have the economy devastated by the effects of that.

Last edited: