Cloud cover forecast for 2 pm ET on Monday April 8

• Start date
  • Replies 64 Comments
  • Views 478 Views
That was awesome! GoPro footage looks really cool, will upload later. Currently roaming cause my phone is picking up the AT&T network in Buffalo.

Matty made a field trip out of it!!!

Yeah. They closed all the schools today. Thought all the young families would be on the road at once, but traffic's been pretty light. Thank you clouds!

The drive home might suck.
niagara to toronto

Wow awesome vid mattt!

Thought it would be better here with 95%

Saw the crescent 🌙 for a few minutes between clouds

Never got dark which was disappointing

Did it get colder suddenly?
It started getting noticeably colder past like 1/3 coverage. The light got weird past 2/3. Really cool atmosphere with about a thousand people also freaking out around us.

10/10 experience, would go on another unemployed total solar eclipse day trip :handshake:

Full vid. Totality starts around 4:30 and ends 4 mins later. I should've kept recording a few more minutes.

Looked like an awesome experience. Wish I had drove the 2 hours to Paducah, KY now.

Did it get colder suddenly?
I was in a 95% area and the temp dropped about 10 degrees in 10 min. Lake Mich became totally still, didn’t get as dark as where Matty was. I would say maybe an hour before night darkness is what we got.

Give me a break. To say that cloud cover doesn't matter is preposterous. For one, it prevents you from viewing the actual celestial event. Also, it only got so dark BECAUSE of the cloud cover. Totality in a non cloudy location is much different errie diffuse darkness oh and there's a giant haloed silloette ball in the sky. The cloud cover just makes it more like night (not rare, happens daily). Still cool, but a real fucking bummer if you ask me.

We saw the eclipse in spurts of like 10-15 seconds, all the way up to like 98% coverage. It would've been incrementally cooler to be able to see the solar corona during totality (which we did not see at all because the cloud cover was uninterrupted during that 4 minute stretch), but no, it ultimately did not matter. Having the big rock's shadow wash over us was always gonna be the big show, for me anyway. I'm still confused as to why so many bailed on the event because of clouds. I would not have spent thousands of dollars in travel to witness a total eclipse, but $20 in gas was a no-brainer, clouds or not. Shit was cool af.

STFU bone bone. Go laugh at my MLB record instead.

You say incrementally. I say infinitely. Just jealous.

Look what happens during totality here, with a perfectly clear sky. Look at what people were focused on. It wasn't the dark ball in the sky.

It didn't simply "get dark". You can tell that you're engulfed in a giant circular shadow that's moving at a crazy speed. It feels like you're speedrunning a whole night in 4 minutes, like God accidentally hit the 100x speed Turbo button with his elbow. The way the light suddenly comes back on, from like 0 to 50 in 10 seconds, was also super cool. The whole thing feels "wrong" to our programmed human bodies, not normal at all.

Last edited: