• Replies 64 Comments
  • Views 502 Views

roguejuror

rouge
Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
Our highest confidence area is northern New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. The reason is that high pressure will be firmly in place for these locations on Monday, virtually guaranteeing mostly sunny skies. If you want to be confident of seeing the eclipse in North America, this is the place to be. But there is a catch—isn't there always? A snowstorm this week, which may persist into Saturday morning, has made travel difficult. Conditions should improve by Sunday, however.

Rising pressures in the central United States will also make for good viewing conditions. The band of totality running from Northern Arkansas through Indiana is not guaranteed to have clear skies, but the odds are favorable for most locations here.

The Lake Erie region, including Cleveland, is probably the biggest wildcard in the national forecast. The atmospheric setup here is fairly complex, with the region just on the edge of high pressure ridging that will help keep skies clear. I'd be cautiously optimistic.

Finally there's Texas. The forecast overall has been poor since I've began tracking it for the last two weeks. (And as I live in Texas, I've been following it closely.) The global models with the best predictive value—the European-based ECMWF and US-based GFS—have shown consistently cloudy skies across much of the state on Monday, with a non-zero chance of rain. I do think there will be some breaks in the clouds at the time of the eclipse, perhaps in locations near Dallas or to the west of Austin, and hopefully some of the cloud cover will be thin, high clouds. But whereas the skies at night are big and bright in Texas, the solar eclipse viewing conditions might just bite.

cloud forecast for eclipse monday april 8

Ashamed because it did look like it was going straight through Dallas area. Could be close eventually to Pucky but he's been MIA.
:pucky:

Going to a Niagara winery with wifey and kid, right in the middle of the path of totality. Cloud cover won't matter. Let's fucking go.

Don't forget to look right at it with the naked eye just the 45th President of the U.S.A. did!!

Eclipse happening at 10:40 am here,unfortunately it’s rainy and overcast right now

We're on our way to Fort Erie right now. Maximum totality there. 4 mins.

I'm making a list of everyone who's mentioning the cloud cover today #dumdums #cloudcoverdoesntmatter

IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER (if you're in the path of totality)

Look at videos of total eclipses... people are so bewildered by what's going on around them that they forget to look up. It's not about the eclipse itself, it's about the sudden shift to total darkness.

FFS.

Ima video the whole thing with a chestmount GoPro and my phone.

Last edited:
That's a long fokkin time!

Breaking it up, we did a short hike earlier, now walking through Niagara-on-the-Lake which is very pretty and posh. 40 min drive from here to Fort Erie. Direct drive woulda been 90 mins, not bad.

Glen Elgin Village/Ball's Falls

Glen Elgin Village.

Ball's Falls Ontario

Breaking it up, we did a short hike earlier, now walking through Niagara-on-the-Lake which is very pretty and posh.
E being a scientist how excited is she with the eclipse, one through ten 10 being the highest? Tell her Rogatien is asking