• Replies 11 Comments
  • Views 1,473 Views

MexicanStallion

Since
Jan 29, 2010
Score
Tokens
Rookie versus Ace

The Cincinnati Reds will play in St. Louis against the Cardinals for the third game of the series Wednesday. The Reds are looking to win the series after their come from behind victory. Last night marked the 18th come from behind victory when the Reds won 9-8.

The Cincinnati Reds (31-22) lead the St. Louis Cardinals (30-23) by 1 game for the Central Division lead. The Reds avoided dropping three straight with their win last night and took over first place. Tonight the Reds are looking to extend their lead to two games or leave St. Louis tied for first place.

Sam LeCure will make his second start of his young career. On May 28th, LeCure beat the Houston Astros pitching a decent ball game. He went 6 innings, allowed 2 runs, and had 4 walks with 5 strikeouts. It was a great outing for your back end rotation spot, but it was the Houston Astros. They have been statistically the worst hitting team in the National League. The Cardinals are a completely different team. LeCure will need to pitch much sharper and throw more strikes tonight. If LeCure could duplicate his Houston outing, then the Reds would be in great shape and wont have to burn through the bullpen.

The Reds received much needed bullpen help last night when they optioned Carlos Fisher to Triple A and put Mike Lincoln on the DL. They brought up fresh arms, Logan Ondrusek and Enerio Del Rosario. Last night Del Rosario won his first major league game after relieving Johnny Cueto. Cueto was hammered last night allowing 8 runs in 5 innings. Del Rosario allowed the 2 inherited runners, but had some bad luck with Rolen missing a play that was not charged an error. The bullpen went 4 shut out innings last night allowing 5 hits and 3 walks. That is not flawless, but it was a great job considering how the bullpen had been lately. Rhodes looked healthy and Masset threw the ball well. The bullpen should be ready tonight with Thursday being an off day. The fresh arms should take some pressure off Rhodes and Masset.

Joey Votto finally returned to the lineup after missing six games. He was a huge boost with his bat going 4/5 with a solo home run and scoring 3 runs. Scott Rolen had a huge night with his third multi-homerun game with 4 runs batted in. As long as the Reds bats stay hot they can beat anyone including Carpenter. Last night Votto and Rolen were huge, but everyone contributed at some point in the game with the Reds having 14 hits and scoring 9 runs. Rolen and Gomes have been rbi machines in the past 7 days with 17 runs batted in between them. They are 19/45(.422) combined. Phillips and Stubbs have scored 14 runs and are hitting 20/54(.370). The one downside tonight will be Ramon Hernandez will probably be out of the lineup tonight. With Ryan Hanigan on the DL, Hernandez needs to stay fresh, so by sitting tonight he will have two days off. Corky Miller should get the nod tonight which could also boost LeCure. Corky caught most of LeCures games in the minors this season, so he knows what he can do.

The bottom line is the Reds are worth a shot as dogs here tonight. Carpenter is the ace of the Cardinals staff, but he is beatable. The Reds lead the National League in several offense categories such as runs scored, batting average, and home runs. The over is worth a look here as well. It is only 8 runs. A small parlay would be worth a shot with a .5 unit to win over 2.3 units. The Reds get it done tonight. My prediction tonight is 5-4 Reds win.

Sam LeCure (1-0 3.00) vs. Chris Carpenter (6-1 2.93)
Cincinnati Reds ML (+200)​

I was looking at this earlier, Carpenter at home scares me but you are right, at +200 why not?

Nice write up.

always good to see you post mex---

good luck

Good stuff, Stallion - consider yourself frontpaged.

cincy at +170 now.

What book was that, swarmy? Currently +196 at Matchbook.

bet phoenix

Rally time in effect! :yes:

Nevermind. Forgot Jonny Gomes was in the mix :duh:

I was looking at this earlier, Carpenter at home scares me but you are right, at +200 why not?

Nice write up.
Thanks Cougar. Carpenter was bailed out in the 7th by a lucky break, but other than that pitched great.

always good to see you post mex---

good luck
Thanks Kato.

Good stuff, Stallion - consider yourself frontpaged.
Thanks Polaroid. Was fun seeing my blog on the front page.

cincy at +170 now.
I wrote this up this morning. Been writing blogs for fun at the other place, but thought I would share one here.

great stuff mexi
Thanks Rogue.

Rally time in effect! :yes:
Nevermind. Forgot Jonny Gomes was in the mix :duh:
Jonny Gomes has been amazing this season. He has been a huge part of the offense. Just didn't come through tonight.

Carpenter had a great break go his way with Bruce's single hitting Rolen's foot. It should have been 3-2 with Rolen on 2nd and Bruce on 1st with Gomes and Stubbs up. I honestly think I might have nailed my 5-4 prediction, but it just didn't pan out that way. Those breaks will happen. This one hurt since it was the one big threat besides the first inning.